Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    Brando was also a serious "contender" for the part.
    I believe Brando was Lean's original choice in about 1958 when he began preparing the film, but Brando said 'no'. After Brando had a couple of unexpected flops (One Eyed Jacks/Fugitive Kind) he let it be known he was still interested. A born procrastinator, Brando couldn't make up his mind to do either Lawrence or Mutiny. he finally decided on Mutiny because he didn't want 'to spend two years in the desert on a f-----g camel'. It was during this time that Lean saw Finney for the part but decided on O'Toole instead.

I think Finney would have been great as Lawrence.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    I believe Brando was Lean's original choice in about 1958 when he began preparing the film, but Brando said 'no'. After Brando had a couple of unexpected flops (One Eyed Jacks/Fugitive Kind) he let it be known he was still interested. A born procrastinator, Brando couldn't make up his mind to do either Lawrence or Mutiny. he finally decided on Mutiny because he didn't want 'to spend two years in the desert on a f-----g camel'. It was during this time that Lean saw Finney for the part but decided on O'Toole instead.

I think Finney would have been great as Lawrence.

Bats.
    "If you had been any prettier dear boy it would have been called Florence of Arabia!" Noel Coward to Peter O'Toole when O'Toole asked him what he thought of the film.

Finney wasn't as pretty as O'Toole though but aye, he would have possibly turned in an even more tortured performance,as for Brando? silly arse! I mean he has made some poor choices in his career but opting out of Lawrence must be one of his biggest blunders!

Liked
    255 times
    "If you had been any prettier dear boy it would have been called Florence of Arabia!" Noel Coward to Peter O'Toole when O'Toole asked him what he thought of the film.

Finney wasn't as pretty as O'Toole though but aye, he would have possibly turned in an even more tortured performance,as for Brando? silly arse! I mean he has made some poor choices in his career but opting out of Lawrence must be one of his biggest blunders!
    Brando certainly did make some strange choices .... I remember an observation made by Elia Kazan ... 'Clift is clever but tries to make people think he isn't ... Brando isn't clever, but likes people to think he is' ... perhaps that explains it.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvden
    just as an aside I saw on ebay the other day a newspaper freebie of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning go for £4.35 plus postage of £1 people must be really desperate to pay this sort of price for a promo
    Not really TV I have purchased promos that I have missed in the papers.I would rather buy a second hand freebie than a copy of something that people pass off as being in the public domain, at least they are being honest advertising it as a freebie, and don't forget there are some absolute classic films that have been given away (albeit for the price of a paper) with a brit movie thread to boot !

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, fantastic film, Finney is brilliant in it, as is Rachel Roberts. Trivia that you all probably know, Finney screen tested for Lawrence of Arabia, and was more or less set to play the role, not sure what happened, there are surviving stills of him in the Lawrence Arab costume, he did go on to play Tom Jones of course, he was great in that too,one of our best and perhaps underrated actors, didn't seem to reach the starry heights of say Caine or Stamp, very talented nonetheless.
    I am sure that Finney would have been very good in LOA also can you imagine O'Toole in Saturday Night & Sunday Morning?? These guys made the particular roles their own but I am sure both would have done well in the other role.

Liked
    255 times
    Brando? silly arse! I mean he has made some poor choices in his career but opting out of Lawrence must be one of his biggest blunders!
    Brando also turned the role of the Sundance Kid in Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. He did Night Of The Following Day instead .... doh!

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Loved the film, Mrs Bull's line 'Did you see the muck in that kitchen', is classic. Has this actress been in anything else?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HayleyG
    Loved the film, Mrs Bull's line 'Did you see the muck in that kitchen', is classic. Has this actress been in anything else?
    That's what the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) is for.

Go to any page on the IMDb, put in the title you're looking for, look down the cast list and find Mrs Bull. Then click on the name of the actress, Edna Morris, and you'll see everything else she's done - quite a lot

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HayleyG
    It most certainly is a classic line Hayley!.........like the classic scene where she's been catapulted in the rear......ouch!!, same thing happened a few years later in 'Sky west and crooked' where Hayley Mills catapults Judith Furse (avatar).....ouch again!!

I recall seeing Edna in a B movie once a several years ago that was screened during an Afternoon, looked at her resume' for the title which I can't recall, may have been 'Nothing Barred', I can only vaguely remember the storyline about a group of Female ex-cons I think it was, I recall one of the Actresses was the Lady who played Mum in the 50's soap opera 'The Groves', she plays her part in a Wheelchair......

Liked
    0 times
    "I'm a six foot pitprop that likes a pint and a good time, that's me"

I remember watching this film when I was in my late teens and it was part of a Sunday night season of classic British films which included

A kind of Loving

Billy Liar

Room at the top

A taste of Honey

This sporting life

There was also a good performance by Hylda Baker as Albert's wily old Aunt....

Agree that the part when Ma Bull feels the full impact of the air rifle pellet is top notch.

I also fell hopelessly in love with Shirley Anne Field, who I happened upon in Lincoln two years ago- still looks as good as ever.

The musical score by John Dankworth was a brilliant backdrop which captured the Raleigh Factory setting of 1960's Nottingham

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scholes
    "I'm a six foot pitprop that likes a pint and a good time, that's me"

I remember watching this film when I was in my late teens and it was part of a Sunday night season of classic British films which included

A kind of Loving

Billy Liar

Room at the top

A taste of Honey

This sporting life

There was also a good performance by Hylda Baker as Albert's wily old Aunt....

Agree that the part when Ma Bull feels the full impact of the air rifle pellet is top notch.

I also fell hopelessly in love with Shirley Anne Field, who I happened upon in Lincoln two years ago- still looks as good as ever.

The musical score by John Dankworth was a brilliant backdrop which captured the Raleigh Factory setting of 1960's Nottingham

Fully agree, and the music is excellent. Everything about this film is top notch

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    Fully agree, and the music is excellent. Everything about this film is top notch
    Sorry Arthur's Aunt! Small detail but you know what I mean.

Liked
    0 times
    I have just watched this film again, and there is so much of it that is so nostalgic of those years, now so far in the past.

One of my favourite singers of the time was Adam Faith, and I just loved the version of 'What do you want if you don't want money', which was sung early on in the film. The drummer, in his DJ and bow tie, and the singer, whoever he was, just standing there clicking his fingers as he sang it. Wonderful stuff.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monspencer
    I have just watched this film again, and there is so much of it that is so nostalgic of those years, now so far in the past.

One of my favourite singers of the time was Adam Faith, and I just loved the version of 'What do you want if you don't want money', which was sung early on in the film. The drummer, in his DJ and bow tie, and the singer, whoever he was, just standing there clicking his fingers as he sang it. Wonderful stuff.
    If you like Adam Faith then you should see him in Beat Girl (1960).

He plays the cool cat Dave who's hep to the beat daddy-o

He's the leader (sort of) of a group of teenagers who hang around in coffee bars and cellar clubs. He plays a couple of sings as well

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

He's the leader (sort of) of a group of teenagers who hang around in coffee bars and cellar clubs. He plays a couple of sings as well

Steve
    Does he song any sings???

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    Does he song any sings???
    And he songs some plays

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    i have this on 16mm and its a great film shown it many times and laughed when he shoots nosey parker in the backside with his air rifle ,there are alot of nosey parkers in the world maybee we should do same

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12