Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I understand Mel Gibson was going to make a remake a few years ago with Liam Neeson as Barnes Wallis and Gibbo playing Gibbo. (Although one newspaper wag suggested Denzil Washington was going to play Gibson and his dog was going to be called Whitey).

It would have been interesting to see if they would have kept the original music. In fact it would have been interesting if they kept to the facts and not "Americanised" it.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    151 times
    Frost clears Dam Busters for take-off

Tara Conlan

Thursday December 8, 2005

The Dam Busters: Sir David Frost's Paradine is to remake the 1950s black and white classic film

It could be "chocks away" again for The Dam Busters after veteran TV interviewer Sir David Frost snapped up the rights to the second world war classic.

The cult film looks set to be remade after Sir David acquired the rights for an undisclosed sum. He has long been a fan of the film and chose the theme tune to the classic war film as one of his favourites on Radio's Desert Island Discs last week. Sir David bought the rights to a three-year option after the Mentorn creative director, Steve Anderson, alerted him to the sale.

"The idea came out of a conversation with Steve Anderson. I said I thought it was a great idea and said I would pursue it," he said.

"That was a couple of years ago. The situation was quite complicated but we have, just a couple of weeks ago, signed an option agreement with the Brickhill family [relation of the author, Paul]. Now we begin to see if we can make it [a remake] happen.

"With all the digital technology there is now, a new version could be even more exciting. But we can't change the music - it's so fantastically stirring."

Sir David said the new film will explore the characters in greater depth but said he was not sure whether Guy Gibson's dog "Nigger" would be included in the remake.

"We've not yet decided to do about the dog. It plays an important part but the last few times I've seen the film on TV, he's been cut out, presumably because of the name. Perhaps your readers could suggest a new name!"

The remake will be made through Sir David's company, Paradine, which has a three-year option on the project.

Sir David said he and Mr Anderson will be executive producers on the film.

"It will be a David Paradine production for a major studio or major investor. Steve Anderson will also be credited on it," he said.

"The new film won't be cheap. But it really did feel worth having a go. We will consult with the family on it. We have one or two people in mind to play the leading characters but haven't approached them yet. It's a great project and I'm looking forward to seeing it take off."

The Dam Busters follows the true story of inventor Dr Barnes Wallis and his quest to build an ingenious "bouncing bomb" to blow up strategically vital German dams in the Ruhr valley.

On the night of May 16 1943, the specially formed 617 Squadron flew 19 modified Lancaster bombers to Germany, on a mission that was to become one of the most famous episodes of the second world war.

It was celebrated in the 1950s black and white classic film, The Dam Busters, starring Michael Redgrave as Barnes Wallis and Richard Todd as gallant Wing Commander Guy Gibson. The movie - adapted for the screen by RC Sherriff from Gibson and Paul Brickhill's novel - went on to become one of the nation's favourite films.

The Dam Busters March, composed by Eric Coates, also became one of the most popular film scores ever written.

Since he left BBC1's Breakfast With Frost in May, Sir David has diversified his interests. His company, Paradine Productions, is to make a new series for ITV, Frost Tonight, concentrating on politics and current affairs in London.

The only man to have interviewed the last six British prime ministers and seven American presidents is also starting a new interview show for Arabic satellite channel al-Jazeera's new English-language service.

The new al-Jazeera show will feature a mix of "world leaders and entertainment leaders", said the broadcaster. Sir David is also continuing to work for the BBC on a series of Frost Interview specials and long-running gameshow Through the Keyhole.

Liked
    3 times
    Not another sodding remake! I suppose the theme tune will be remixed and hummed by G4!

Liked
    151 times
    (samkydd @ Dec 9 2005, 11:09 AM)

Not another sodding remake! I suppose the theme tune will be remixed and hummed by G4!
    And this time the German's save the day:

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    They would have to rename the dog, wouldn't they, can't risk offending anyone. But why remake the film, it might offend the Germans. "Don't mention the war!"

Liked
    3 times
    (DB7 @ Dec 9 2005, 10:39 AM)

The Dam Busters follows the true story of inventor Dr Barnes Wallis and his quest to build an ingenious "bouncing bomb" to blow up strategically vital German dams in the Ruhr valley.
    Since a lot of secret WW2 documents came into the public domain a few years ago I would have thought that there were many more interesting previously unknown events which would make good NEW films. Sorry, NEW is a dirty word in the film industry!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Tom Cruise as Guy Gibson?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Nah...Hugh Grant would play him better!

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    What's the bleedin point.

cheers Ollie.

Liked
    69 times
    The Dambusterswasn't just a war film,it was in a class of its own and the new version will be forever compared to the original. Will he use the same music? And as for the dog,why change its name - the dog's name was part of the mission and therefore part of history. As Sam said,there are plenty of other stories from the Second World War II to make films out of and leave Michael Anderson's classic alone.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Utterly pointless

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Apart from anything else, is there an audience for it ?

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    I watched this just the other day, and I still enjoyed it. The effects are not too shabby considering when it was made. They're a lot better than the ones in 633 Squadron ( a later film) which I made the mistake of watching soon after. Like most people here I also don't see the point in a re-make, but at least it looks like it will be a British re-make and not an American studio one. They'd replace everybody with Americans and have the dog changed into Jessica Simpson, Guy's sexy love interest.

Col.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Some of the effects show their age...but the central performances of Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave are unrepeatable, especially in the final sequences where they are coming to terms with the loss of their colleagues lives.

As Frostie has bought the rights to the book, he should film the rest of it...the dams raid is only the first section. What 617 Squadron achieved after Gibson left and was replaced by Leonard Cheshire - he of the homes - in terms of precision bombing was, if anything, even more remarkable. Because their Lancasters could only carry one bomb each (six-, later ten-tonners) they made certain they hit the targets; bridges, tunnels, even battleships.Their precision was remarkable dropping from high altitude. Of course they relied on flare droppers to pinpoint the targets - the Pathfinder squadrons were nowhere near good enough - so Cheshire dropped the flares himself, at low level. Anyone here fancy dive-bombing in a Lancaster??? Their ethos was to avoid innocent casualties - especially when the targets were in France, and they disliked the indiscriminate carpet bombing of much of the war.The final sequence could be Cheshire being the official RAF observer of the atom bomb drops...a different era begins, the age of heroes dies..

Liked
    0 times
    This film is one of my favourite war films.

Agreed, Todd's and Redgrave's performances are without equal.

What does Frost thing he is playing at?

Pompous ass.........

Liked
    69 times
    (penfold @ Dec 9 2005, 10:06 PM)

Some of the effects show their age...but the central performances of Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave are unrepeatable, especially in the final sequences where they are coming to terms with the loss of their colleagues lives.

As Frostie has bought the rights to the book, he should film the rest of it...the dams raid is only the first section. What 617 Squadron achieved after Gibson left and was replaced by Leonard Cheshire - he of the homes - in terms of precision bombing was, if anything, even more remarkable. Because their Lancasters could only carry one bomb each (six-, later ten-tonners) they made certain they hit the targets; bridges, tunnels, even battleships.Their precision was remarkable dropping from high altitude. Of course they relied on flare droppers to pinpoint the targets - the Pathfinder squadrons were nowhere near good enough - so Cheshire dropped the flares himself, at low level. Anyone here fancy dive-bombing in a Lancaster??? Their ethos was to avoid innocent casualties - especially when the targets were in France, and they disliked the indiscriminate carpet bombing of much of the war.The final sequence could be Cheshire being the official RAF observer of the atom bomb drops...a different era begins, the age of heroes dies..
    Being interested in the Second World War,I didn't know any of this - thanks,Penfold. Good observation and notes for the new film.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (mysteriesofedgarwallace @ Dec 9 2005, 10:32 PM)

This film is one of my favourite war films.

Agreed, Todd's and Redgrave's performances are without equal.

What does Frost thing he is playing at?

Pompous ass...........
    As I've said in another context - class is permanent but money talks.

FELL

Liked
    3 times
    (Fellwanderer @ Dec 10 2005, 07:32 PM)

As I've said in another context - class is permanent but money talks.

FELL
    Apart from anything else, David Frost has got to be the most boring person in media, so anything he gets involved with will be tired, worn out and mind-numbingly bland!

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    a different era begins, the age of heroes dies..
    Yes they where Hero's one and all.This country owes them a great debt

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (Marky B @ Dec 10 2005, 02:19 AM)

Being interested in the Second World War,I didn't know any of this - thanks,Penfold. Good observation and notes for the new film.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Thanks marky b - but do try and get hold of Paul Brickhill's book, The Dam Busters. It's a great read, and should be easily obtainable new or second-hand. Alternatively Cheshire VC by Russell Braddon...or Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson himself.

Incidentally Brickhill also wrote the books Reach for the Sky and The Great Escape....not a bad CV...

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast