Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juggernaut

Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this film has been mentioned recently, but I've been thinking that I can't remember seeing Juggernaut for a good few years, and it's without a doubt one of my all-time British faves.

I see it as massively underrated - the cast is star-studded (Richard Harris, Omar Sharif, David Hemmings, Anthony Hopkins, Shirley Knight, Ian Holm, Roy Kinnear), it's suspenseful and often shocking. Better than Speed, which in many ways the plot resembles, by a country mile.

Has anyone else seen it, and if so, am I being overly praiseful?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There's a nice US DVD available.

Liked
    0 times
    (dannypne7 @ Feb 18 2006, 01:47 PM)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this film has been mentioned recently, but I've been thinking that I can't remember seeing Juggernaut for a good few years, and it's without a doubt one of my all-time British faves.

I see it as massively underrated - the cast is star-studded (Richard Harris, Omar Sharif, David Hemmings, Anthony Hopkins, Shirley Knight, Ian Holm, Roy Kinnear), it's suspenseful and often shocking. Better than Speed, which in many ways the plot resembles, by a country mile.

hi danny

yes it was good, and is overdue for a re-run

regards piroflip

Member Country: Australia Darling's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    (dannypne7 @ Feb 18 2006, 09:47 PM)

Hi all,

Hi, Danny. Welcome to the forum.

Juggernaut was just recently rescreened on TV here in Australia and, damn and blast, I missed most of it! I've just bought the Region 2 DVD at Amazon UK, which, strangely enough, has the U.S. title Terror on the Britannic on the cover, despite the illustration on Amazon UK.

This film contains three of my favourite actors, Richard Harris, David Hemmings and Ian Holm. Haven't watched it yet, but it's on my list of all-time favourites. They don't make movies like this anymore. Who needs all those special effects, when they've proved with this movie that suspense, intrigue and the human element, good and bad, can be done very well without it? For an all-star cast, they've done a sterling job at an ensemble performance.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw this in my local flea pit on the week of its release 74/75 ,i just sat there transfixed wide eyed taking it all in,ready for the playground report on monday, Excellent, love it when harris just starts chuckin things about.

cheers Ollie.

Liked
    69 times
    Hi Danny,

Welcome to our exclusive club. Yes,Juggernaut was a very much underrrated (and under mentioned) film in the annals of British film. An enjoyable and tense thriller,standing up squarely with the US equivalents of the disaster movie of that era. I wouldn't mind a DVD of it myself. Keep your peelers open - it might appear as freebie in a newspaper one day.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    A 16mm colour copy of this film was recently available at a film collectors conv. It later sold on ebay at xmas.

I do have the Boris Karloff vintage B&W of this title, but this is not the one you are after.

Good luck.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting fact:

Richard Lester took over direction of the project from Bryan Forbes just three weeks before filming began, and with Alan Plater rewrote "every line" of the script. The plot stayed the same, but became more of an excuse to examine the ethical issuies in dealing with terrorism -- which makes it quite a timely movie today.

Liked
    0 times
    I note that the DVD (Region 2) is available on Ebay for a mere fiver plus £1.50 P & P...I can feel a purchase coming on!!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    All the performances are great but in my opinion Roy Kinnear is truly brilliant in this film and steals the show.

I've seen the dvd in my local HMV but under the US title 'Terror on the Britannic'

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    (piroflip2 @ Feb 18 2006, 06:54 PM)

hi danny

yes it was good, and is overdue for a re-run

regards piroflip
    Last broadcast in this country on Five on 2004-12-05 at 13:45. Yup, should be coming around again soon judging by Five's penchant for recycling!

Liked
    0 times
    BBC Northern Ireland showed Juggernaut four or five years ago but the soud was out of sync with the picture by a good ten minutes - strangely that made it even more enjoyable.

Liked
    0 times
    Classic film.

Best bit? Where Richard Harris and his team are doing things one at a time i.e. Richard Harris does something, and if he doesn't get blown up David Hemmings does it.

But a sudden roll means that Harris doesn't do it...Hemmings does, and is blown to smithereens.

Liked
    0 times
    (djdave @ May 7 2006, 12:10 PM)

Classic film.

Best bit? Where Richard Harris and his team are doing things one at a time i.e. Richard Harris does something, and if he doesn't get blown up David Hemmings does it.

But a sudden roll means that Harris doesn't do it...Hemmings does, and is blown to smithereens.
    Juggernaut's on today, Five, 2.25pm. Hooray!

Senior Member Country: Scotland lostintown's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this again this afternoon.

I have to agree with BOBJ, Kinnear puts in a sterling performance as the ship entertainments officer.

It was like watching "the office", you could almost smell that desperation!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Just watched Juggernaut again tonight after taping it over the weekend, and I must agree that Roy Kinnear just about upstaged the rest of the cast with a wonderful comic turn. Such a shame his life and career were tragically cut short.

I love the way the tension and suspense builds towards the climax, and even though I've seen it umpteen times, it still totally grips me. A little gem of a film, and it's nice to see a British disaster movie of comparable standard to the US equivalents of the time.

Regards

Phil Turner

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    The flick was on TV a couple of weeks ago and just before that I was offered a 16mm print. Film was a bit poor I thought but I did enjoy the sea voyage as I like sea bound drama, being a Titanic story fan.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw this film on 5 a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful, underrated thriller.

Interestingly I have noticed Ian Holm's office (Alembic House on Albert Embankment) appearing in a couple of other films - Naked Runner, one of the Sweeney films and a Touch of Class and possibly the Italian Job, although I don't recognise it. I believe, before it became Lord Archer's flat, it used to be offices owned by a film production company. Anybody shed any light on its history or what other films it has featured in?

I have a feeling one of the rooms was used as Sir Donald Swan's Scotland Yard office in Brannigan, even though Scotland Yard is nowhere near the Thames or the houses of Parliament

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobean
    Saw this film on 5 a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful, underrated thriller.

Interestingly I have noticed Ian Holm's office (Alembic House on Albert Embankment) appearing in a couple of other films - Naked Runner, one of the Sweeney films and a Touch of Class and possibly the Italian Job, although I don't recognise it. I believe, before it became Lord Archer's flat, it used to be offices owned by a film production company. Anybody shed any light on its history or what other films it has featured in?

I have a feeling one of the rooms was used as Sir Donald Swan's Scotland Yard office in Brannigan, even though Scotland Yard is nowhere near the Thames or the houses of Parliament

The IMDb lists it as being used for Theatre of Blood (1973) as well.

It's not being near the real New Scotland Yard or the other landmarks wouldn't be a problem to film-makers. It's well known that it films every window in Paris looks out on to the Eiffel Tower and every window in London looks out on to St Paul's Cathgedral and/or the Houses of Parliament, especially St Stephen's clock tower which houses Big Ben.

Great Scotland Yard is just off Whitehall, opposite the Admiralty. That's fairly close the the Thames.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Forgot about Theatre of Blood! I suppose its kitsch decor suited the seventies well. Found out from Archer's biography that he apparently bought it off Bond composer John Barry and allegedly still has the telephone number with the digits '007' that Barry had.

I suppose if I were as rich, I would be just as pretentious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast