Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Do directors and producers of films such as Layer Cake and The Business have a social responsibility to avoid the glamorisation of drugs to protect vulnerable audiences?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    (eellsy @ Mar 2 2006, 08:56 AM)

Do directors and producers of films such as Layer Cake and The Business have a social responsibility to avoid the glamorisation of drugs to protect vulnerable audiences?

cheers Ollie.

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like an AS Film Studies question!

The rule is you tell us what you think first!

Liked
    0 times
    (eellsy @ Mar 2 2006, 08:56 AM) Do directors and producers of films such as Layer Cake and The Business have a social responsibility to avoid the glamorisation of drugs to protect vulnerable audiences?
    Im thinking on this one before I reply.

Liked
    0 times
    (eellsy @ Mar 2 2006, 08:56 AM)

It isn't a media studies question but a discussion topic,

Layer cake and the Business both portray the high side of the drug business eg money and power, should the Directors hold responsibility over the interpretations of the film? i think that because of the material of the film the directors are deffinatly involved with the result of the film by the audience, there should be measure that ensure influencing material is limited on the screen, dont get me wrong these are two really good pieces of British Cinema i enjoyed watching however the implications of showing this high life style from such a illegal business is wrong for the younger audiences. For example in Layer cake the character believes himself to be a legitimate businessman.

Definition of Legitimate:

lawful: authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law

in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles;

So therefore realeasing the wrong impression possibly??

Liked
    0 times
    Yea i think its the whole

Making $$££$$'s Vs Social responsibility.

If you look at some areas of worldwide film they are designed for pure art purposes, others (Such as the most known Hollywood) are designed for Money and Money and a side order of Money.

To get back to your question about whether makers of films such as Layer Cake or The Buisness having social responsbility to avoid glamorisation of drug industry, if we look at the films there are a few things we can look at. in Layer Cake 'xxx' dies after all the hassle and so do a lot of other characters involved in the industry, so i think there is some extent of them not glamorising the industry. Whether this is for audience needs (A want to see death and murder?) or to protect the audience well i guess only they know.

An interesting point i think to look at is a ruling of days gone past called The Hays Code. This was a set of rules on what films could and could not involve. One of which was along the lines of 'Crime cannot win' (Or something like that).. just an interesting thought to put out there..

Liked
    0 times
    (Cerbeh @ Mar 2 2006, 06:34 PM) Yea i think its the whole

Making $$££$$'s Vs Social responsibility.

If you look at some areas of worldwide film they are designed for pure art purposes, others (Such as the most known Hollywood) are designed for Money and Money and a side order of Money.

To get back to your question about whether makers of films such as Layer Cake or The Buisness having social responsbility to avoid glamorisation of drug industry, if we look at the films there are a few things we can look at. in Layer Cake 'xxx' dies after all the hassle and so do a lot of other characters involved in the industry, so i think there is some extent of them not glamorising the industry. Whether this is for audience needs (A want to see death and murder?) or to protect the audience well i guess only they know.

An interesting point i think to look at is a ruling of days gone past called The Hays Code. This was a set of rules on what films could and could not involve. One of which was along the lines of 'Crime cannot win' (Or something like that).. just an interesting thought to put out there..
    To what extent does crime not win? Buster glamorised the exploits of low level criminals trying to make big. Buster was seen as a comic jack the lad criminal, however in reality he was a calculating career criminal who was caught and punished. having served his time he was portrayed as a rehabilitated person. How does this image of a criminal getting away with the crime and ending up on a moral point turing himself in to see that his family is taken care of, I see no difference in this film than in Get Carter in which violent crime is so called glorified by dipicting the brutal truth of an under strata of society.

Making $$££$$'s Vs Social responsibility, is a cop out question, from the time of the Roman Empire to give an example has not the vices of mankind been displayed and exploited in some way for entertinment, politic's and profit, what makes this soceity any different?

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (eellsy @ Mar 2 2006, 06:18 PM)

It isn't a media studies question but a discussion topic,

Layer cake and the Business both portray the high side of the drug business eg money and power, should the Directors hold responsibility over the interpretations of the film? ....the implications of showing this high life style from such a illegal business is wrong for the younger audiences. For example in Layer cake the character believes himself to be a legitimate businessman.....
    Hello eellsy,

But does "Layer Cake" glamourize drugs and the criminal life? I don't think so. The main character deludes himself that he is a legitimate businessman. Driving his slick car, carrying the leather briefcase, yes life is almost perfect. And then the cocaine cake begins to crumble. Our "hero" makes mistake after mistake, doesn't see how his higher ups use him nor does he anticipate the ending they have planned for him. He is so slick that he chooses an accountant who one day disappears with all his money. This is glamour? and look at the ever tilting world of betrayal the higher ups exist in. This is glamour? No. It is a world populated by and run by the morally corrupt in their decaying bodies who plot against one another and manipulate underlings like our "hero" as puppets. No, this is not glamour.

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 11 2006, 09:19 AM)

Hello eellsy,

But does "Layer Cake" glamourize drugs and the criminal life? I don't think so. The main character deludes himself that he is a legitimate businessman. Driving his slick car, carrying the leather briefcase, yes life is almost perfect. And then the cocaine cake begins to crumble. Our "hero" makes mistake after mistake, doesn't see how his higher ups use him nor does he anticipate the ending they have planned for him. He is so slick that he chooses an accountant who one day disappears with all his money. This is glamour? and look at the ever tilting world of betrayal the higher ups exist in. This is glamour? No. It is a world populated by and run by the morally corrupt in their decaying bodies who plot against one another and manipulate underlings like our "hero" as puppets. No, this is not glamour.

Barbara
    This is nothing less than what I would have expected from you, but dont write the essay, you have given away to much as it is. What is it then that is meant by glamour in the seedy underworld of crime? Is the dipictions of the so called good life that can be mistaken as glamour, surly not.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    (Maltman @ Mar 10 2006, 11:01 PM)

Making $$££$$'s Vs Social responsibility, is a cop out question, from the time of the Roman Empire to give an example has not the vices of mankind been displayed and exploited in some way for entertinment, politic's and profit, what makes this soceity any different?
    You haven't explained why the question of making money versus social responsibility is a "cop out" question. All you've done is to compare the views of society through the ages. In what way is the question not a valid one?

(Maltman @ Mar 11 2006, 04:17 PM)

This is nothing less than what I would have expected from you, but dont write the essay, you have given away to much as it is. What is it then that is meant by glamour in the seedy underworld of crime? Is the dipictions of the so called good life that can be mistaken as glamour, surly not.
    What point are you making here, beyond trying to be aggressive to another contributor? What is "glamour" to one person, would not be to another - all that proves is that people look at the world differently, depending on their point of view. Hardly world shattering...

rgds

Rob

Liked
    399 times
    (Maltman @ Mar 11 2006, 04:17 PM)

This is nothing less than what I would have expected from you, but dont write the essay, you have given away to much as it is. ....
    Hello, Charles,

Oops, yes, I should have put "Spoilers." But I was torn in wanting to answer the question posed and to support that answer. If you, or anyone else, haven't yet seen "Layer Cake," be assured that there are still lots of surprises to discover, characters and plot twists I deliberately didn't include, not to mention the music, the cinematography and other effects in store for you.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    399 times
    (Rob Compton @ Mar 11 2006, 05:55 PM)

...What is "glamour" to one person, would not be to another - all that proves is that people look at the world differently, depending on their point of view....

rgds

Rob
    Such a good point, Rob. And phrased succinctly, more so, I fear, than I usually manage. Variation in point of view was vividly brought home to me the first time I travelled out of my own country or even from, let's say, North to South within it.

Thanks as always for being such a good person,

Very best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    (Rob Compton @ Mar 11 2006, 05:55 PM)

You haven't explained why the question of making money versus social responsibility is a "cop out" question. All you've done is to compare the views of society through the ages. In what way is the question not a valid one?

What point are you making here, beyond trying to be aggressive to another contributor? What is "glamour" to one person, would not be to another - all that proves is that people look at the world differently, depending on their point of view. Hardly world shattering...

rgds

Rob
    Think you got the wrong end of a very long stick. The trouble with the written form of communication it dose not allow for,

Tone

Context

Think the lady understood what I was going at, however will come back to you later on the other points you have brought up, wait out.

Liked
    0 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 12 2006, 02:36 AM)

Hello, Charles,

Oops, yes, I should have put "Spoilers." But I was torn in wanting to answer the question posed and to support that answer. If you, or anyone else, haven't yet seen "Layer Cake," be assured that there are still lots of surprises to discover, characters and plot twists I deliberately didn't include, not to mention the music, the cinematography and other effects in store for you.

Best,

Barbara
    Dont Worry, my wife made me watch it No seriously I have seen it and loved the film. Looks like Rob needs me to hand in my Phd thesis sooner than I had hoped.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    (Maltman @ Mar 12 2006, 02:02 PM)

Dont Worry, my wife made me watch it No seriously I have seen it and loved the film. Looks like Rob needs me to hand in my Phd thesis sooner than I had hoped.

No probs, maltman! I'll look forward to the Ph.D - I was just in pedant mode at the time....

Keep smiling

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    "What point are you making here, beyond trying to be aggressive to another contributor? What is "glamour" to one person, would not be to another - all that proves is that people look at the world differently, depending on their point of view. Hardly world shattering..."

I think Rob has summed this up nicely if I understand his response correctly.

Whilst some people may look at the film and potentially be drawn into thinking that this dangerous & illegal "occupation" is attractive, others like me, will watch it, appreciate it for its writing, directing, cinematography and overall entertainement value and then move on.

If people can't differenciate between what is entertainment & reality then god help us.

Liked
    399 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 12 2006, 02:36 AM)

... If you, or anyone else, haven't yet seen "Layer Cake," be assured that there are still lots of surprises to discover, characters and plot twists I deliberately didn't include, not to mention the music, the cinematography and other effects in store for you.

Best,

Barbara
    I see that "Layer Cake" 2 disc edn, is on sale at HMV: £5.99 delivered.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    If it's a reality - and drugs and crime are a living reality then I think films have a duty to show it as it is.

I do not believe that old flannel that says crime depicted on screen makes people rush out to take drugs and rob banks.

I prefer a near the knuckle, real life drama to an American type fantasy story any day.

Dave.

Liked
    399 times
    (David Brent @ Mar 19 2006, 06:01 AM)

If it's a reality - and drugs and crime are a living reality then I think films have a duty to show it as it is.

I do not believe that old flannel that says crime depicted on screen makes people rush out to take drugs and rob banks.

I prefer a near the knuckle, real life drama to an American type fantasy story any day.

Dave.
    Well said, Dave. For certain social messages, e.g. the negatives of conformity, class consciousness, etc. a director may often try coating them with humor which can work well. The audience laughs but knows full well what's really what. But for cancerous evils like drugs, crime, battered women, etc. I agree: depict it as it really is, up close and personal, "near the knuckle," to let viewers see what that life is really like and the outcomes from it. This is another scenario where black and white can add to the grit of that scene.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    (felix @ Mar 14 2006, 09:02 AM)

If people can't differenciate between what is entertainment & reality then god help us.
    It would appear that there are people who are unable to differentiate clearly between the two as is suggested by the tales told by those who play soap -star "villains" who have abuse hurled at them when they go down to their local supermarket. There are also plenty of stories regarding the mounds of sympathy cards which arrive at TV studios when a popular soap charater is killed off, etc. I believe that popular entertainment can have a very subtle influence on peoples' lives - most peoples' lives and not just those capable of the sort of inanities I have just mentioned who we feel we are so superior to.

I have not seen the film that is the subject of the thread but feel that eelsy is raising a valid point, similar to the one he/she raised as an earlier topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast