Thread: Ryan's Daughter

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Just out on DVD...Ryan's Daughter (1970).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/dvd-reviews/rya...1493583270.html

Ryan's Daughter

By Rob Lowing

DVD Release - 1 March 2006

Expensive tosh or one of director David Lean's greatest romances?

John Mills in Ryan's Daughter.

Drama Run Time-195 minutes

RatedPG / Country-United Kingdom

Director: David Lean

Actors: Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard, Sarah Miles, Christopher Jones, John Mills, Leo McKern

DVD Extras: Commentaries; production segments

A pile of expensive, over-long tosh? Or one of director David Lean's greatest romances? You be the judge of this 1970 Irish romance which was as famous for its stunning scenery as its steamy sex scene.

Sarah Miles turns in the only decent performance as the passionate village lass. She recklessly marries older teacher Robert Mitchum but soon lusts for a shell-shocked English soldier (James Dean look-alike Christopher Jones).

Trevor Howard rants as the local priest; John Mills is unbelievably cheesy as the village mute and convenient plot catalyst. And Maurice Jarre's music is inappropriately jaunty in parts. Luckily, the storm sequence is spectacular. One for the romantics.

Extras: leisurely, enjoyable production segments with Lean and his Lawrence of Arabia scriptwriter Robert Bolt. Miles dishes plenty of on-set dirt (Lean wanted Peter O'Toole for the Mitchum role). Also, cast and crew commentaries.

=======

In his autobiography, Freddie Young speaks candidly about Christopher Jones' lack of acting training and experience so that in the end, to get any scene remotely close to what Lean and he wanted, they had to 'creatively' shoot around Jones. Young calls Ryan's Daughter one of his harder shoots in terms of geography, but working with Lean and receiving Oscars for his cinematography, were the highpoints in his career.

Best,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 9 2006, 11:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

In his autobiography, Freddie Young speaks candidly about Christopher Jones' lack of acting training and experience so that in the end, to get any scene remotely close to what Lean and he wanted, they had to 'creatively' shoot around Jones.

[/b]
    Interesting quote from Freddie Young.....

Reading your thread intrigued me on Christopher Jones, I dont think I saw him in any other film , he certainly looked the part but upon doing a bit of internet research he disappeared soon after Ryans Daughter ,yet another enigma from the cinema world .

I would guess every classic film buff loves at least one David Lean film ,not my favourite but as always with Lean beautiful to watch.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 9 2006, 11:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/dvd-reviews/rya...1493583270.html

Ryan's Daughter

By Rob Lowing

DVD Release - 1 March 2006

Expensive tosh or one of director David Lean's greatest romances?

John Mills in Ryan's Daughter.

Drama Run Time-195 minutes

RatedPG / Country-United Kingdom

Director: David Lean

Actors: Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard, Sarah Miles, Christopher Jones, John Mills, Leo McKern

DVD Extras: Commentaries; production segments

A pile of expensive, over-long tosh?

=======

In his autobiography, Freddie Young speaks candidly about Christopher Jones' lack of acting training and experience so that in the end, to get any scene remotely close to what Lean and he wanted, they had to 'creatively' shoot around Jones. Young calls Ryan's Daughter one of his harder shoots in terms of geography, but working with Lean and receiving Oscars for his cinematography, were the highpoints in his career.

Best,

Barbara

[/b]

Yes

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (A Pemberton @ Mar 9 2006, 07:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Interesting quote from Freddie Young.....

Reading your thread intrigued me on Christopher Jones, I dont think I saw him in any other film , he certainly looked the part but upon doing a bit of internet research he disappeared soon after Ryans Daughter ,yet another enigma from the cinema world .

I would guess every classic film buff loves at least one David Lean film ,not my favourite but as always with Lean beautiful to watch.

[/b]

It's true, isn't it, about Lean's films also being memorable visual experiences in themselves. The setting in Lean's films is another "character" so to speak. In setting up locations for Lawrence of Arabia, Lean's quest for perfection or the just-right shot would delight and also drive Freddie Young up a sand dune. There's a great shot of Young high on a dune smoothing out the sand with his hand in prep for the scene. That's the problem of shooting in the sand: all traces of film trucks, crew, etc. have to vanish for a scene of isolation.

Lean's early experience as a film editor no doubt stood him in good stead for creating the spectacular film experiences that he did. From start to finish, Lean's shepherding of his film was masterful. Kevin Brownlow's bio of Lean is a fine and unbiased read. Highly recommended.

Best,

Barbara