Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Jack
    Normally I pay very close heed to GG's movie reviews, but he was not always right or even close to it. He walked out of the TUNNEL, a mistake in my view. Perhaps Britmovie could take a poll of its members to see what percentage regarded it as a "happy ending". "Ironic bordering on cynical" maybe, but "happy", no.

It could even be argued that it would have been best for her long term to have known the very ugly truth.

BDJ
    It made Rose happy

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    It made Rose happy

But for how long? By now Rose must be the prototype for UK Bag Ladies, mumbling away about past love. But I am happy that Rose is happy. Haven't heard much about GG; what's he up to? I hope he's happy, too:)

BDJ

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Jack
    It made Rose happy

But for how long? By now Rose must be the prototype for UK Bag Ladies, mumbling away about past love. But I am happy that Rose is happy. Haven't heard much about GG; what's he up to? I hope he's happy, too:)

BDJ
    He hasn't done much since he died in 1991

He was a Roman Catholic (despite "living in sin" with various mistresses), hence the Catholic themes underlying many of his novels - like Brighton Rock. So presumably that faith brought him some solace.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Recently I went to a seance and spoke to a deceased very pious uncle who described Heaven. There he was given a personal cloud and a harp and told for all eternity he would praise the Lord. But, then, one day, he spotted GG, a known public sinner, on a cloud with a bottle in one hand and an Alison Angel look-alike, naked as the day she was born, astride him. When my uncle cried foul, a cherub explained to him that the bottle had a hole in the bottom and the lady did not.

BDJ

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    As can be seen by my avatar, I am a big fan of this movie. I agree that the ending is a cop out but, having read about the making of the film, the change in ending was just one of many changes or accommodations which the Boulting brothers had to make to get this film to the theaters.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    There's no way the Board of Censors would have permitted Greene's nastier "book' ending to be shown. I'm under the impression that it was many year's later before the Censors would even allow a criminal "to get way with" whatever crime they had comitted on screen !

Liked
    0 times
    Bought Brighton Rock yesterday, its been some years since I last saw but seeing it again was pure magic. Attenborough and Hartnell were excellent as gangsters in Brighton. Nice story all the way through and a good ending, why can't they make films like that now!

Liked
    13 times
    Maybe if there were a few writers around of the calibre of Graham Greene......

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips
    Bought Brighton Rock yesterday, its been some years since I last saw but seeing it again was pure magic. Attenborough and Hartnell were excellent as gangsters in Brighton. Nice story all the way through and a good ending, why can't they make films like that now!
    Think I've made mention of this elsewhere but scenes from a production called ''Brighton Rock'' were being filmed at Langley Park in Bucks just a few months ago. So they are making films like that now, but I'm guessing that's not exactly what you meant!. Lets hope it does justice to the original.

Liked
    13 times
    Not a snowballs chance in hell. A while back there was a thread on the re-make which is set in "Mods & Rockers" Brighton and one of the Britmovie community was an extra and posted photos.

Liked
    151 times
    Brighton Rock: appalling strangeness
    The story behind Graham Greene�s seedy classic.

'Brighton Rock has done well critically, but it�s by no means a bestseller,� Graham Greene wrote to a friend in October 1938, after publication of what was to become one of his best-known novels. Greene was, at the time, a freelance writer: his novels were well reviewed but sold in modest quantities; with a wife and two children, he kept afloat by reviewing books and films for the Spectator, and had just lost his job as co-editor of the brilliant but short-lived Night and Day, a London equivalent of The New Yorker.

Despite its modest initial sales, Brighton Rock � and its successors, The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter and The End of the Affair � made Greene a household name, and one of those rare novelists � such as Ian McEwan in more recent times � who combine bestsellerdom with critical acclaim. �A new shade for knickers and nightdresses has been named Brighton Rock by Peter Jones,� Greene told his brother Hugh. �Is this fame?�

Fame was around the corner � but so too was a less welcome accolade. In his last year at Oxford, Greene had fallen in love with a devout and beautiful girl called Vivien Dayrell-Browning. She was a Catholic convert, and although Greene had never shown any interest in religion, he followed her example, and took instruction while working as a journalist on a newspaper in Nottingham.

Whereas his friend and fellow-convert, Evelyn Waugh, was more Catholic than the Pope, Greene was half in and half out, and more prone to doubt than to belief.

Greene�s first novel was published in 1929 and he rashly chucked in his job as a sub-editor with The Times on the strength of the reviews. His Catholicism had not loomed large in his earlier novels, but all that changed with Brighton Rock. He had been commissioned to write a book about the persecution of Catholics in Mexico � which prompted a marvellous travel book, The Lawless Roads, as well as The Power and the Glory � and his obsession with the Church was reflected in Brighton Rock, shot through as it is with images of hell and damnation.

�I was discovered � detestable term! � to be a Catholic writer,� Greene wrote years later; and whereas Waugh was happy to be described as such, Greene always insisted that he was a writer who happened to be a Catholic.

Brighton Rock started out, Greene tells us, as a �simple detective story� but developed into a �discussion, too obvious and open for a novel, of the distinction between good and evil, and right and wrong and the mystery of the 'appalling strangeness of the mercy of God��. It is set among the racecourse touts and razor-wielding gangsters of Brighton and, like Patrick Hamilton�s Hangover Square, Brighton Rock vividly evokes the raffish seaside town, awash with weekending Londoners who shared Greene�s own liking for pubs and beer and sausages.

Rose Macaulay remembered Greene saying that �only RCs were capable of real sin because the rest of us were so invincibly ignorant�: the psychopathic Pinkie and his girlfriend are both Catholics, and although Pinkie is intent on his own damnation, he is well aware that �these atheists, they don�t know nothing�. The �real point� of the story, Greene said, was �the contrast between the ethical mind and the religious� and it set a pattern for Greene�s later �Catholic� novels.

A stage version of Brighton Rock was performed in 1943: the young Dickie Attenborough played Pinkie, a role he resumed in the 1947 film version. �This is the first time I have seen one of my own books on the screen with any real pleasure,� Greene told its director, John Boulting.

Few novelists have enjoyed as close or professional a relationship with the cinema: The Third Man and Our Man in Havana established themselves as cinema classics, but � as in other aspects of Greene�s career � Brighton Rock paved the way.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ian Christie says the film was banned in the US for 3 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12