Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I was reading about the making of this - apparently Rex Harrison was the first choice for Chips, with Audrey Hepburn as a possible costar. Then Samantha Eggar was almost signed. From what I recall in Doctor Dolittle, she cannot sing at all. Then Harrison dropped out and Peter O'Toole was the next choice opposite Petula Clark.

There is a lot of detail in Roadshow!: The Fall of Film Musicals in the 1960s by Michael Kennedy, Oxford University Press. If you enjoyed the road shows of the 60s and early 70s this book should be difficult to put down. True - it's entirely about musicals and i would have liked to see the historical dramas and epics covered as well. But it is still one of the most enjoyable books about film I have read.

Only a few of those giant musicals succeeded and they receive coverage as well, including Oliver!

I didn't realize how famous Julie Andrews was back then. All of the producers and directors wanted her for a very wide variety of roles. The making of Camelot is fascinating as well.

Back to Goodbye, Mr. Chips - I always enjoy it every time i see it. And it can be appreciated together with the beautiful Robert Donat/Greer Garson original. There is a chapter about the production of the musical. And everyone does agree that the music is only fair, and sometimes not that.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh dear, I think Julie Andrews would have throughly wasted in that sodden Mr. Chips.

She was a multi-million-dollar gold mine at that time but not many movie-makers knew how to display her talent.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I like it. You watch the original and Greer Garson is in it for like five minutes. Petulia Clark got to hang in there longer and I think the story works better as a romance between two very different people.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    I like it. You watch the original and Greer Garson is in it for like five minutes. Petulia Clark got to hang in there longer and I think the story works better as a romance between two very different people.
    I agree - there was a depth that I didn't expect, and they had a real rapport.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    There is a lot of detail in Roadshow!: The Fall of Film Musicals in the 1960s by Michael Kennedy, Oxford University Press. If you enjoyed the road shows of the 60s and early 70s this book should be difficult to put down. True - it's entirely about musicals and i would have liked to see the historical dramas and epics covered as well. But it is still one of the most enjoyable books about film I have read.
    By coincidence I was just starting to look into MGM-British roadshow films. Thanks for the lead - I've ordered this on Kindle.

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't the book but I've watched both versions. And, frankly, I don't understand why Katherine Bridges married Arthur Chipping. She seems like a plot contrivance to me and I can't imagine them being happy for long.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IlllIIllllIIii View Post
    I haven't the book but I've watched both versions. And, frankly, I don't understand why Katherine Bridges married Arthur Chipping. She seems like a plot contrivance to me and I can't imagine them being happy for long.
    I would recommend the book then.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony McKay View Post
    ...I've ordered this on Kindle.
    �20 for the Kindle edition!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IlllIIllllIIii View Post
    I haven't the book but I've watched both versions. And, frankly, I don't understand why Katherine Bridges married Arthur Chipping.
    She had a thing for boys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12