Liked
    0 times
    This film is great!

anyone seen that movie?

Liked
    0 times
    (thirdlady @ Mar 18 2006, 07:43 PM)This film is great!

anyone seen that movie?
    A great icon of its day, one of my Favorites. I love the repor SV has with the Wall, play on the old pun and copied many times. The use of the primary character as the narrator and first person perspective lends to the comic observation of events outside of the narrative effectivly. Although I have it on VHS I am still to collect it on DVD holding out till it is available as a freebee in the papers.

Shirley Valentine takes the form of a monologue by a housewife before and after a transforming holiday in Greece. Shirley's a middle-aged Liverpool housewife, who finds herself talking to the wall while she prepares her husband's chips 'n' egg, wondering what happened to her life. She compares scenes in her current life with what she used to be like and feels she's stagnated and in a rut. But when her best friend wins an all-expenses-paid vacation to Greece for two, she leaves the drudgery of cooking dinner for her husband, packs her bags and heads for the sun. The note on the kitchen table reads "Gone to Greece back in two weeks." Shirley begins to see the world, and herself, in a different light.

"It is a simple and brilliant idea...the profound and perennial point of the comedy is the problem we seem to have contemplating the idea of a woman alone - in a pub, on a beach, in a restaurant. This is what Shirley learns to combat as she unravels her own sexual and social identity. The play is not only funny, it is also moving." (Michael Coveney, Financial Times)

With Shirley Valentine, Willy developed a new style of writing - the one woman show. When first created, Shirley Valentine was a two act play created for one voice. In the first act Shirley is at home, in her kitchen and talking to her wall. In the second act she is in Greece on holiday and talks instead to a rock on the beach she visits each day, though I feel tthe transition between play and screenplay was well done.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (Maltman @ Mar 18 2006, 08:12 PM)

A great icon of its day, one of my Favorites. ...
    Hi, Charles,

I'm glad you liked Shirley Valentine also. It's more than just a "chick" flick. Its gentle, humorous, but thoughtful exploration of mid-life crisis and the joys of living life fully could just as easily have been about a man trapped in a boring job, a marriage that turned mute once the music ended at the wedding reception, and patronising children who only come home when they need something.

Who doesn't empathise with the woman or man talking to the Wall.

Best,

Barbara

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (thirdlady @ Mar 18 2006, 07:43 PM)

This film is great!

anyone seen that movie?
    "He kissed my stretch marks!"

Yes, it's a great story & a very well made film.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    (Maltman @ Mar 18 2006, 08:12 PM)
    Thanks for the pics they're great!

Liked
    0 times
    b

"He kissed my stretch marks!"
    'You kissed my stretch marks'

'These are the marks of life, they show you are alive .....be proud of them'

'Arnt men full of shit'

Liked
    0 times
    my mum loves this movie

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    This is one of those excellent films that exists on non-USA DVDs only. Thank goodness I never used peanut butter in my VHS deck.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Pity it received such an awful DVD release. It was in fullscreen and it was the American version, with some parts dubbed to cater for American audiences.

Nevertheless, a good film. I found it became quite a personal film to me when I was leaving religious fundamentalism; the theme of someone suddenly finding themselves an alien in their own world quite resonated with me.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sorry to hear that the DVD wasn't given good treatment. I've pondered seeking a trade from someone but I can't believe how many relatively modern films have been butchered into Pan & Puke format when black-barring the top and botton has to be so much cheaper than hiring technicians to recut and re-direct the film's selected focus, cell by cell.

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Watched this last night on Dvd, not seen it for years , and its still a classic
    some fantastic one liners in it

Am going to have Sex for Breakfast Sex for Dinner and sex for t , delivery driver shouts out that sounds an excellent menu love

As for the women talk in pub , well iits funny but might not be good idea to discuss here

Tom Conti, i want to make FXUCK WITH YOU ON MY BOAT

Brilliant film

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwasinflame View Post
    Watched this last night on Dvd, not seen it for years , and its still a classic
    some fantastic one liners in it

Am going to have Sex for Breakfast Sex for Dinner and sex for t , delivery driver shouts out that sounds an excellent menu love

As for the women talk in pub , well iits funny but might not be good idea to discuss here

Tom Conti, i want to make FXUCK WITH YOU ON MY BOAT

Brilliant film
    [Aside, to camera]
    "He kissed my stretch marks"

Great line

Steve

Junior Member Country: Belgium
    Liked
    0 times
    An excellent movie. Made me think and want to travel. Made me want to take chances, risks and never just 'let life pass by'.
    And that, to me, is what a good movie has to do. Take its audience. Loved it.