Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alfie (1966)

Liked
    0 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 22 2006, 09:52 PM)

Hi, Thirdlady,

Here's your chance to prove your uncle wrong about his Oscar information. Go, lady, go.

Best,

Barbara
    THanks barbara!

regards

Alison

(I decided to use the thirdalady username after I saw the great orson welles in The Third man)

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (thirdlady @ Mar 24 2006, 02:24 AM)

THanks barbara!

regards

Alison

(I decided to use the thirdalady username after I saw the great orson welles in The Third man)
    Hi, Alison,

I like your adaptation of the title. Very clever plus The Third Man is one of my all-time favorite films in b/w.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    Just read the synopsis on Alfie - perhaps someone should know that the title song was not sung by Cher, but by Cilla Black!!!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (sparrow @ May 1 2006, 07:18 PM)

Just read the synopsis on Alfie - perhaps someone should know that the title song was not sung by Cher, but by Cilla Black!!!!
    I don't think that one was ever completely resolved.

There was a discussion about it when the remake came out.

It seems that both Cilla & Cher did versions of the title song. It may be that the version with Cher was released in the States and the version with Cilla was released here. There are also "soundtrack recordings" which add to the confusion because they aren't really soundtracks but are the tunes and songs re-recorded at a separate session.

The IMDb only credits Cher for the title song (sung at the end). Last time I asked for evidence that could be used to refute or modify that, nobody stepped forwards.

Cilla had a top 10 hit with it - but did she sing it in the film?

There are some that claim it was really Millicent Martin singing it in the film.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I loved the original "Alfie" movie, thought Michael Caine was excellent and enjoyed the music from that movie as well.

How did the character make you feel? I wasn't born then and from the point of a younger person watching the movie in the 2000's things probably look a little different than how people felt about the movie watching it in the 60's. I was actually on Alfie's side throughout the movie. LOL

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMoore
    I loved the original "Alfie" movie, thought Michael Caine was excellent and enjoyed the music from that movie as well.

How did the character make you feel? I wasn't born then and from the point of a younger person watching the movie in the 2000's things probably look a little different than how people felt about the movie watching it in the 60's. I was actually on Alfie's side throughout the movie. LOL

But of course. Who else's side could anyone have been on?

As someone who grew up through that period, Alfie was a role model that we could all aim for, but hardly ever get close to.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

As someone who grew up through that period, Alfie was a role model that we could all aim for, but hardly ever get close to.

Steve

I just thought that there might be some women who would criticise his actions and feel sorry for the women in the movie he supposedly "wronged". lol Being a girl myself, I thought the women in the movie were the ones to blame for their own mistakes with him. I also thought that it was unfair for his girlfriend to get pregnant and then demand that Alfie marry her, and then cut him off from his son, when Alfie was a good father. He might have not made a good husband, but good father he was for sure.

Shelley Winters was great, too!

Liked
    0 times
    the original of alfie is an excellent movie.

looking at it now it's still as fresh as ever!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I guess I was looking at it from the same perspective. It was a film from the decade before I was born and although I've been a fan of Michael Caine for a long, long time this film had somehow managed to elude me until earlier this year.

Although I didn't actually like the character, I did sympathise with him and the events that he was caught up in - which I guess was the whole point. I was quite shocked when I realised what a strong insight into the ways and attitudes of the times it was giving out.

I'd really never realised quite how deep a film it is and even watching it nowadays, it had a real impact on me.

Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen the remake. Being a Michael Caine fan, it's hard to picture anyone playing the pasrt but him, though Jude Law bears some resemblance to MC. What I like the most about classic movies is that they can bring the point across in a powerful way without the movie having to go into an R-rating. Original "Alfie" is a perfect example of this. When I saw the R-rating on the remake, I thought: "Oh well, naturally, they probably added a ton of language and nudity."

What was the remake like compared to the original? Is it worth seeing?

Liked
    0 times
    Although I've been tempted to watch the remake. I've thus far been unable to bring myself to watch it - I think I'm too predjudiced in favour of the original to give the remake a fair chance.

Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen the remake. Being a Michael Caine fan, it's hard to picture anyone playing the pasrt but him, though Jude Law bears some resemblance to MC. What I like the most about classic movies is that they can bring the point across in a powerful way without the movie having to go into an R-rating. Original "Alfie" is a perfect example of this. When I saw the R-rating on the remake, I thought: "Oh well, naturally, they probably added a ton of language and nudity."

What was the remake like compared to the original? Is it worth seeing?
    I really like the original film so was pretty sure I would hate the remake. Still I watched it when it was on Sky and actually thought it was a great film and Jude Law was very impressive in the role. I enjoyed it so much I bought the dvd.

After seeing the Jude Law version I discovered that there was a 1975 sequel to the original film called Alfie Darling (aka Oh Alfie) which starred Alan Price in the role of Alfie. I eventually tracked it down on Amazon and bought it with anticipation. I have to say it is among the most disappointing films I have ever bought - I just think it doesn't work whether it is due to just not seeing Alan Price as Alfie or just a bad script I'm not sure.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

Steve
    Of course all the guys wanted to be Alfie, the man who charmed all types of women into his bed.

As I saw the film when in my teens I must admit that the one scene that stayed in my memory the most was the abortion scene.

That scene took away a lot of Alfie's glamour for me.

The Jude Law remake was not as bad as I thought it may have been but it was still not a patch on the origional.

Apart from anything else how can you take Alfie out of his native London and drop him into New York? Its just not the same.

Dave.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    Of course all the guys wanted to be Alfie, the man who charmed all types of women into his bed.

As I saw the film when in my teens I must admit that the one scene that stayed in my memory the most was the abortion scene.

Dave.
    The abortion scene made me glad I'd grown up just those few years later, when abortions were legal, the pill was freely available and before AIDS.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent

It wasn't that long since I saw the original for the first time - the abortion scene came as quite a shock to me. I'd, somehow, managed to reach my 30's and remain ignorant of much of the storyline to this film.

Although brief, the performance by Denholm Elliott will stay with me a for a long time - there was something beyond the disturbing matter at hand that was projected from the character.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Two or three questions:

When in 1966 was Alfie released ?

When was it shot ?

How long did the play run for ?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Originally the play was for radio - Alfie Elkins and his Little Life with Bill Owen - so I suppose you could say it ran for one night. As for the stage play - London or Broadway? Broadway was 23 performances, London was successful enough to transfer theatres. The film was reviewed on Thursday 24th May 1966. So I assume it was released the next day. A week when the other new releases were Carry On Cowboy, The Singing Nun, That Riviera Touch and The Ugly Dachsund so not, perhaps, a lot of competition for the target audience.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Thaks Cap'n Waggett. Any idea when the radio play aired ? Also did Terence Stamp appear in both the London and Broadway plays ? Any morsel much appreciated.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

According to the Internet Broadway Database, T Stamp starred in Alfie at the :- MoroscoTheatre, 217 W. 45th St., New York, NY

Preview: Dec 16, 1964 --Opening: Dec 17, 1964 Closing: Jan 2, 1965 Total Performances: 21

hope that helps..

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Here's something that might be of interest. I have highlighted the actors I know.

Produced by Peter Saunders and The Mermaid Theatre Trust Ltd at the Duchess Theatre, London, on the 22nd July 1963 with the following cast of characters:
    FILM VERSION

Alfie ....................... JOHN NEVILLE
    Michael Caine

Siddie .................... GLENDA JACKSON
    Millicent Martin

Gilda ...................... GEMMA JONES
    Julia Foster

Humphrey .............. DAVID BATTLEY
    Graham Stark

Woman Doctor ...... AUDINE LEITH (seen her, can't place her)
    Eleanor Bron

Harry Clamacraft ... GEORGE WARING
    Alfie Bass

Joe ........................ JERRY VERNO
    Possibly Murray Melvin's character Nat

Lily Clamacraft ...... MARCIA ASHTON
    Vivien Merchant

Carla .................... MAUREEN DAVIS
    Shirley Anne Field

Perce .................... PATRICK MOWER
    Bryan Marshall

Lacey .................... PATRICK CONNOR (seen him, can't place him)
    Tony Selby (as Lace)

Flo ........................ EDNA LANDOR
    Unknown, either dropped or renamed

Annie .................... MARY HANEFEY
    Jane Asher

Lofty ..................... ALAN TOWNSEND
    Possibly Sydney Tafler's character Frank

Ruby .................... MARGARET COURTENAY
    Shelley Winters

Sharpey ............... DAVID BATTLEY (again)
    Or was he the Murray Melvin character?

Vy ........................ WENDY VARNALS
    Unknown, either dropped or renamed

Mr Smith .............. NORMAN WYNNE (seen him, can't place him)
    maybe Harry Locke's character, the Foreman

Directed by DONALD MCWHINNIE

Designed by DAVID MYERSCOUGH JONES

No-one reprised their role in the film you'll notice.

I'm sorry for not knowing the people I haven't highlighted, and for not remembering the ones in italics (who've been in some favourite shows). Is this because this production was before I was born or because they were mainly theatre actors? Infact, having just IMDB'd all these 'unknowns' I've discovered they've all appeared on TV, with Marcia Ashton very active indeed, appearing quite recently in EastEnders and Doctors.

It's always interesting looking at cast lists and this one, from the original stage production, which I've copied from my Samuel French book, has inspired me to start a thread about actors working together and perhaps never seeing each other again (something I take very badly if there's a good chemistry or partnership). Please tell me if you know any of the actors I don't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast