Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    A great atmospheric whodunnit starring the incomparable Alistair Sim and a great array of Brit character actors.

Including Leo Genn, Trevor Howard, the reliable Megs Jenkins and Moore Marriott.

A sinister story of murder committed in a country hospital during WW2.

It has a strong storyline and Alistair Sim's performance is one of his best.

A great film to watch late at night or on a dark and rainy day.

Dave.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (David Brent @ Apr 9 2006, 07:27 AM)

A great atmospheric whodunnit starring the incomparable Alistair Sim and a great array of Brit character actors.

Including Leo Genn, Trevor Howard, the reliable Megs Jenkins and Moore Marriott.

A sinister story of murder committed in a country hospital during WW2.

It has a strong storyline and Alistair Sim's performance is one of his best.

A great film to watch late at night or on a dark and rainy day.

Dave.
    Can't argue with that Dave !

A much loved and eminently re-watchable movie.

As a kid I was gobsmacked when I realised it was THE Moore Marriott (aka Harbottle) from those brilliant Will Hay movies in this. SO different...

SMUDGE

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    As a kid I was gobsmacked when I realised it was THE Moore Marriott (aka Harbottle) from those brilliant Will Hay movies in this. SO different...

Watch out for him in a larger part in Millions Like Us. It is difficult to resolve the two sides of his acting personality in seeing them back to back. He's almost unrecognisable from his more famous persona as Harbottle. And then to see him as Harbottle's Dad in Ask a policeman! Although he wasn't in it, don't you think that he could have been Sir Roderick Femm in The Old Dark House?

Nick

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    (smudge @ Apr 9 2006, 05:05 PM)

Can't argue with that Dave !

A much loved and eminently re-watchable movie.

SMUDGE
    I have lost count of the times that I have seen this movie and I never saw Moore Marriott,off to Check

Terry

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (foha80 @ Apr 9 2006, 09:14 PM)

I have lost count of the times that I have seen this movie and I never saw Moore Marriott,off to Check

Terry
    He plays the postman.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Then again Moore Marriott in "The History of Mr Polly" is a cross patch version of his "Oh Mr Porter" character!

If anyone hasn't seen the former, its a lovely little film starring Sir John Mills, with Sally Ann Howes, Finlay Currie and the lovely Megs Jenkins, directed by Anthony Pelissier.

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Question about the two DVD releases for "Green for Danger": I posted the Network DVD release of Dirk Bogarde's "Victim" (1961) with a postscript that Network has a five-year agreement with Granada/Carlton, now merged, giving Network access to and the release rights to some/all? of the G-C ITV television library holdings and their "Rank, Romulus and Rohauer film collections."

JameM asked this interesting question: "I'm puzzled as to why exactly DD and Network are releasing the same Granada titles, such as Green for Danger."

I'd like to know also.

I don't see an inherent difference between the two. So why the two releases? Granted, Network re-released Granada's Jan 2004 special edition of "Victim," but that had been deleted in Feb. 2005 giving a year's interval between Network's release on 10 April 2006.

Network's print will undoubtedly come from the Granada-Carlton Library; I can't tell where the DD release came from. Unless DD's print is inferior, what is the sense of Network's re-releasing it so quickly on the heels of DD's release? Is Network picking major titles from the Granada Ventures library with their contract in mind and rolling out the titles regardless to establish their G-C profile.

Thanks,

Barbara

-----------------------

1. NETWORK release: Green For Danger

Release date: April 17, 2006. Not yet available: you may still order this title.

Certification: PG

Duration: 90 mins

Format: DVD

Region: 2

Cat. No: 7952429(NETWORK)

Category: Drama:General

=========================

2..DD Home Entertainment release: Green for Danger

Certification: PG

Duration: 92 mins [probably not accurate]

Format: DVD

Region: 2

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Cat. No: DD22001(DD HOME ENTERTAINMENT) [Classic British Film]

Category: Drama:General

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (theuofc @ Apr 15 2006, 12:32 AM)

I have looked at Amazon and Sendit.com's listing for both DVDs. Network's is two minutes shorter and slightly cheaper; other than that, I don't see an inherent difference between the two.
    Amazon & Sendit are just shops, they would have just copied the run times from the publicity sent with the DVDs and it's likely that the blurb for the Network release just rounded it down to the nearest 5 or 10 minutes.

DVD production companies never seem to put much stock on running times and often just seem to copy them from other sources. Sometimes the cinematic run time or the run time of the American release with the added confusion that brings.

I always ignore advertised run times until I can see it for myself.

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 15 2006, 12:23 AM)

Amazon & Sendit are just shops, they would have just copied the run times from the publicity sent with the DVDs and it's likely that the blurb for the Network release just rounded it down to the nearest 5 or 10 minutes.

DVD production companies never seem to put much stock on running times and often just seem to copy them from other sources. Sometimes the cinematic run time or the run time of the American release with the added confusion that brings.

I always ignore advertised run times until I can see it for myself.

Steve
    I suspected it was a casual run time, but it's good to hear it confirmed, plus the rationale behind it. Can you figure out why two DVD releases in such a short time?

Best,

Barbara

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (Nick Dando @ Apr 9 2006, 08:29 PM)

Watch out for him in a larger part in Millions Like Us. It is difficult to resolve the two sides of his acting personality in seeing them back to back. He's almost unrecognisable from his more famous persona as Harbottle. And then to see him as Harbottle's Dad in Ask a policeman! Although he wasn't in it, don't you think that he could have been Sir Roderick Femm in The Old Dark House?

Nick
    If you want a real contrast, wait to you see Moore Marriott as Sweeney Todd in the silent version from'28....a close-cropped, muscular psychotic thug....a younger Ray Winstone!!!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Green For Danger is one of my favourites too.

I am also curious about the locations used. Clearly a huge proportion is on a studio set, but there are some exteriors that seem perhaps too expansive for the studio or back lot. The hospital walkways are very similar to those of the between the wars TB sanatoria - either they found a real location or had good set designers.

Curiously the first time Alistair Sim's character arrives the exteriors looks North of England.

has anyone any insight on this film?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Criterion has GREEN FOR DANGER listed on their soon-to-be-released schedule, too.

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Green for Danger was (imo) Sim's finest film, a superb storyline, with lots of twists and turns and an unexpected ending.......

The scene where the nurse stands by the opening doors, in full theatre garb in the middle of a thunderstorm still scares me to death.........:-)

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of my all-time favouries - Alistair Sim is superb and hilarious, what a talent. Good acting, great atmosphere and very, very dark. One of those special films that I can watch again and again.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak
    A very enjoyable little film. Despite the other characters and situations being serious, Sim's character still fits in which is a credit to his performance.
    I think that Sim was a master actor and the fact that you can chuckle at him in this film contrasts with the other proceedings, which in turn makes the film quite spooky. Great supporting cast and an excellent film.

GRAEME
    Christianna Brand, who also wrote the Nurse Matilda (Nanny Macfee) books, wrote six or seven other Inspector Cockrill novels. What a pity they weren't made into a series with Sim.

I have read one of them and it was a lot of fun - of course I mentally cast Sim when reading and his voice really suited the Inspector's style of circumlocution. Perfect casting I'd say. You don't get that too often.

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of my favorite films, Alastair Sim is a joy, as always, to watch. It is a nifty little thriller/mystery. Well worth seeking out if you have never seen it.

And yes it was Megs Jenkins as the voice of the traitor on the radio. It was her twin sister in the movie.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackett
    Hi Smudge,

In North London when I was a lad it was the other way round with Smiths first then Golden Wonder and no Walkers at all. Sainsbury did a chip stick that was very popular, don't see them now. Good God! what has my life come too. Talking about the history of chips at 10.45am on a wednesday morning. Please somebody get my coat.
    Ooooooh..Chipmunk Crisps, 'Oxo' flavour!! sold 'em at our school tuck shop.... they were 'Double Yum'!!

Liked
    0 times
    having missed sky+-ing this on tuesday, I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the dvd of this fantastic film. truly a classic. alistair sim was, of course, brilliant as he always was. casting, script, acting and direction were memorable. does anyone share my enthusiasm? I s[potted that sim's scrooge was on the box a few weeks ago and parked on the sofa, glass of wine in hand, hankies at the ready, only to find it was a colorised version � and a deeply crap version at that. can no one stamp on this curse?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I only saw it recently for the first time, and I agree that it is a superb film. As a whodunnit I think it trumps the roughly contemporaneous 'And Then There Were None', which - while great fun - seems crude by comparison. Even with such a small cast to choose from, I bet hardly anyone guesses the villain in GFD. But the clues are there. And the lightness of touch is simply Launder and Gilliat in their pomp. Everything's in proportion. And isn't Megs Jenkins marvellous?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast