Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    It was today on Film 4. Still great to watch except for some transmission fault was stopping the film and soundtrack.

Didn't know it was Hattie Jacques first film!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all,

A new post from a new member here. While it's generally agreed that GREEN FOR DANGER and Alastair Sim's quirky Insp Cockrill make for a great film and a great character - I've always wondered why nobody thought of returning author Christianna Brand's character as a TV series, with Sim as Cockrill of course.

Set in the 1940s, as a lightweight period drama, say, it might have been an interesting crime/mystery (filmed) series for the early 1960s (around the time of Sapphire Films' The FOUR JUST MEN or the John Gregson GIDEON'S WAY).

Lost opportunities, perhaps...?

Trell

Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trellinger
    Hello all,

A new post from a new member here. While it's generally agreed that GREEN FOR DANGER and Alastair Sim's quirky Insp Cockrill make for a great film and a great character - I've always wondered why nobody thought of returning author Christianna Brand's character as a TV series, with Sim as Cockrill of course.

Set in the 1940s, as a lightweight period drama, say, it might have been an interesting crime/mystery (filmed) series for the early 1960s (around the time of Sapphire Films' The FOUR JUST MEN or the John Gregson GIDEON'S WAY).

Lost opportunities, perhaps...?

Trell
    Welcome,Trell.

Was there a series of books of Inspector Cockrill? As a throw in,who could play him if a televsion series was launched today?

Ta ta

Marky B

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your kind welcome, Marky.

Yes indeed, Brand wrote seven Insp Cockrill novels between 1941 and 1957. I've only had the opportunity to read two (the introduction of Cockrill in 'Heads You Lose' and the later 'Green for Danger' - those green & white Penguin paperbacks being somewhat elusive) but I understand the delicious eccentricity of the Cockrill character continues throughout the novels.

Casting of a new TV Cockrill? My mad thoughts would run to someone like, say, Terry Jones (former Python). With Jones, somehow, there's always that promise of madness behind the shrewdness.

Incidentally, among the non-Cockrill works, Brand's first novel 'Death in High Heels', a whodunit set in the fashion world, was filmed by Lionel Tomlinson in 1947 (under that title). Brand was also involved in co-screenwriting Brian Desmond Hurst's The MARK OF CAIN (1947) and Thorold Dickinson's SECRET PEOPLE (1951). The latter surfaces on the small screen occasionally but I have yet to see the earlier two.

What would be your thoughts on the casting of a new TV Insp Cockrill (now that you have me intrigued with the idea)?

Trell

Liked
    69 times
    A convenient reply would be George Cole,but he would be too old. However,haven't read - nor seen the books - I would be basing my casting on Alistair Sim,as Green For Danger is the only one of Brand's works I'm familiar with. So I am intrigued by your suggestion for Terry Jones.......!

Ta Ta

marky B

Liked
    0 times
    In view of my failure - correction, comparative failure.

Inspector Cockrill {a brilliant Alastair Sim} investigates a weird double murder that has taken place in a British WWII emergency hospital.

Sadly this seems to be a largely overlooked British film, brought to us from the excellent Gilliat & Launder teaming, Green For Danger is as good a British mystery that was ever made. Boasting the acting talents of Alastair Sim, Trevor Howard, Sally Gray, Leo Genn and Rosamund John, this adaptation of the Christianna Brand novel feels like an Agatha Christie staple, twisty and deep with whodunnitry, it plays out to its finale with a seamless sense of joy. Everyone involved appears to be enjoying themselves and this only heightens the warmth that oozes out from the screen, the scripting is simple and light, and the direction as tight as one could hope for.

Hugely enjoyable piece that puts the Great into Great Britain, 9/10.

Thoughts, comments etc

Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LieutenantJohn
    In view of my failure - correction, comparative failure.

Inspector Cockrill {a brilliant Alastair Sim} investigates a weird double murder that has taken place in a British WWII emergency hospital.

Sadly this seems to be a largely overlooked British film, brought to us from the excellent Gilliat & Launder teaming, Green For Danger is as good a British mystery that was ever made. Boasting the acting talents of Alastair Sim, Trevor Howard, Sally Gray, Leo Genn and Rosamund John, this adaptation of the Christianna Brand novel feels like an Agatha Christie staple, twisty and deep with whodunnitry, it plays out to its finale with a seamless sense of joy. Everyone involved appears to be enjoying themselves and this only heightens the warmth that oozes out from the screen, the scripting is simple and light, and the direction as tight as one could hope for.

Hugely enjoyable piece that puts the Great into Great Britain, 9/10.

Thoughts, comments etc
    I agree with you entirely,John,but I think you'll find it is not overlooked on this site.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    I agree with you entirely,John,but I think you'll find it is not overlooked on this site.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Certainly not as overlooked as other Launder & Gilliat films like I See A Dark Stranger.

You'd think that the premise of murder inside a hospital wouldn't be especially engaging but Sim really works his magic as the sardonic detective.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    8 times
    I had a very good 8mm print of GFD for many years until I bought the dvd.

Even though it is a 'whodunnit' it bears repeated viewings even when the element of surprise is removed. Love it.

Cinemal

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I am reading this thread and in the backgound I have Green For Danger running on the DVD. I was curious to see which clip you thought was scary and so clicked the YouTube link... the PC blared out the clip soundtrack, a horror rendition of Here we Go round the Mulberry Bush.... exactly in sync with the soundtrack coming from the TV across the room -same clip..... spooky!

PS - anyone know the location for the exteriors of Heron's Park Hospital on the hill?... looks like the Turville area again. Also the interior sets look extensive...was this shot on location perhaps... especially the covered walkways around the hospital (not the stone clad manor house which looks out of sorts.)

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Green for Danger (1946)

Channel 4 … Friday 21st May 2010 … 1.10-2.55pm

One of my favourite thrillers … a classic and compelling masterpiece of spellbinding, atmospheric film-making … Christianna Brand’s ingenious war-time murder-mystery plot is beautifully played by an absolutely outstanding cast … including the gorgeous Sally Gray; Trevor Howard, Rosamund John, Leo Genn, Judy Campbell, Megs Jenkins and the brilliant Alistair Sim as Inspector Cockrill … tautly directed by Sidney Gilliat … one scene in particular stands out for me …

A lively party … a beautiful woman, knowing too much, leaves quickly … a frantic wind-swept run into a deserted, darkened, shadowy operating theatre … a sudden slamming of doors ... the brief glimpse of a terrifying masked figure … an shattering ear-piercing scream … followed by double horrified screams at the discovery of a shocking murder … the sight of the beautiful woman lying in a pool of light ... dead, upon the operating room floor …

Emma

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    8 times
    I never tire of this little gem. Having owned a lovely 8mm print for many years and now the DVD I will still watch it whenever it pops up on TV.

Liked
    7 times
    IIRC it was Pinewood's first postwar effort after saying goodbye to their military guests.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Great story, great cast, great direction. One of my favourites.

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    anything with the lovely Sally Gray in.is ok by me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234