Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Interestingly, although uncredited, "Green for Danger" was the first film that the lovely Hattie Jacques appeared in. Regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    The following are my comments on the IMDB for this delightful little film:--

Alastair Sim's portrayal of the fantastic and whimsical little Inspector Cockrill is an acting tour de force which makes this my utter favourite film whodunit, and Sim my favourite actor.

This interesting plot of murder in a post-war English hospital is filled with those wonderful British character actors whose faces you recognize even if the names you don't (for example, Trevor Howard, Sally Gray, Megs Jenkins). Shadowy hospital grounds and ivied walls complete the scene against which this delightful little story is told.

Liked
    0 times
    A very enjoyable little film. Despite the other characters and situations bveing serious, Sim's character still fits in which is a credit to his performance.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Although,I have only seen it once,I thoroughly enjoyed the film - Sim,as ever,was brilliant. clap

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Leo Genn was pretty good too!!! wink

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Great film, one of my favourites. All characters were a joy to watch and it was nice to see Megs Jenkins in a less typical role.

Apparently Hattie Jacques had a bit-part. Anyone spot her? Is she the voice behind the bar at the hospital hop who proclaims that they have run out of gin?

Clare

Liked
    0 times
    ++Anyone spot her? Is she the voice behind the bar at the hospital hop who proclaims that they have run out of gin?++

I read somewhere that she was the radio voice of the traitor, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

It's a fantastic little movie. I must have first watched it at a very early age as I always seem to have known it.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I too had heard that Hattie is the traitor's voice, and IIRC the film is in her filmography.

The SIM film I grew up with was THE GREEN MAN ; throughout my childhood I was CONVINCED it was filmed at a country pub of the same name that we always used to drive past on Sunday outings.

But then I was VERY, VERY small.... blush

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I read somewhere that she was the radio voice of the traitor, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I'm pretty sure that Megs Jenkins' voice is the voice of the traitor.

How many of you spotted Moore Marrott as the postman? I never spotted it until the credits.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    smudge:

The SIM film I grew up with was THE GREEN MAN ; throughout my childhood I was CONVINCED it was filmed at a country pub of the same name that we always used to drive past on Sunday outings.

But then I was VERY, VERY small.... blush

SMUDGE
    There are a lot of pubs called The Green Man, there are 86 currently listed in the Yellow Pages. It's all part of our pagan heritage :)

Steve

Liked
    114 times
    LOL Steve -

At 6 or 7 I just had to sit out on the step with the old pop bottle (waxed straws - am I getting Proustian yet ?) and me packet of (non-Walkers) crisps...

Thankfully they were Summer days out, in the days when we used to get sun :)

I don't think a request to visit all 86 pubs would've gone down too well though.

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Smudge - what's the betting they were Smiths crisps in a white opaque bag, with a little blue packet of salt inside

rgds

brains

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    "I'm pretty sure that Megs Jenkins' voice is the voice of the traitor."

I would definitely agree with that. Megs has a very distinctive voice and it sure sounds like her.

I read that Hattie was the 5th voice of Doom, whatever that is supposed to mean. Anyway, next time you watch, keep your ears open in the gin scene and let me know what you think - it certainly sounds more like her than the traitor.

Rennie
    Interesting that a colour played an important part in a black and white film.

Liked
    114 times
    lol

SMITHS CRISPS...well, to be honest, the crisps would vary with the pub. IIRC the sort of pecking order was this ;

1. Walkers (without question)

2. Smiths

3. Golden Wonder (usually found in lower grade pubs getting towards 'up country')

4. A.N.OTHER Brand - these were the REALLY cheap and cheerful crisps usually found deep in the wilds of Wales...

More often than not you only ever saw the particular A.N. OTHER brand in just that one pub - the next village would have their own,

"These are local crisps, for local people !"

hysteric SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Smudge,

In North London when I was a lad it was the other way round with Smiths first then Golden Wonder and no Walkers at all. Sainsbury did a chip stick that was very popular, don't see them now. Good God! what has my life come too. Talking about the history of chips at 10.45am on a wednesday morning. Please somebody get my coat.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just to continue the crisp theme a little,i used to like HORROR BAGS fangs,bones,and another one that escapes me,you could save up tokens and get gifts like a gorgons head,skull etc.the things you remember!

cheers Ollie

Liked
    114 times
    LMAO

My schoolday crisps, Hackett, were CHIPMUNK crisps (brand, NOT flavour !) and you used to get stickers and collector cards in 'em.

I vividly remember HORROR BAGS too Ollie, Fangs were sort of Barbecue, Bones were Salt & Vinegar - I too cannot recall the other one but am sure there were three...

Anybody remember (mid 70s?) TUDOR CRISPS ? This was the advent of weird flavours - the first one was Hot Dog & Mustard. This was rapidly followed by that Hedgehog (flavour AND brand) crisp controversy....

SMUDGE

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    smudge:

LMAO

My schoolday crisps, Hackett, were CHIPMUNK crisps (brand, NOT flavour !) and you used to get stickers and collector cards in 'em.

I vividly remember HORROR BAGS too Ollie, Fangs were sort of Barbecue, Bones were Salt & Vinegar - I too cannot recall the other one but am sure there were three...

Anybody remember (mid 70s?) TUDOR CRISPS ? This was the advent of weird flavours - the first one was Hot Dog & Mustard. This was rapidly followed by that Hedgehog (flavour AND brand) crisp controversy....

SMUDGE
    See http://hedgehoghollow.com/hedgehog_crisps.html. They were really just ahead of their time. One of the first organic crisps. And no, they didn't really make them from hedgehogs.

Steve

Liked
    114 times
    See http://hedgehoghollow.com/hedgehog_crisps.html. They were really just ahead of their time. One of the first organic crisps. And no, they didn't really make them from hedgehogs.

Steve
    As I recall, they didn't taste much of anything ; maybe ever so lightly beefy/meaty ? The 'adverse' publicity of the time didn't harm sales though, did it ?

Didn't realise at the time that they were organic - and the trouble I take nowadays to buy organic stuff... blush

SMUDGE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast