Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Did anyone see and tape "I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited" aired on television in 1994? I'd very much like to see Nancy Franklin's documentary of her second visit to the Western Isles. It's not available at Amazon. Please PM if you have it. Will happily trade/ or full costs.

If not, might someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Barbara

"I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited" (1994) TV

Directed by Mark Cousins

Credited cast:

Ian Christie .... Himself - interviewed

Petula Clark .... Herself - interviewed and in clips

Mark Cousins .... Himself - interviewer

Sue Fink .... Herself - interviewed

Nancy Franklin .... Herself- interviewed

Wendy Hiller .... Herself - interviewed and in clips

Erwin Hillier .... Himself - interviewed

Kevin Macdonald .... Himself - interviewed

Donald MacQueen .... Himself - interviewed

Jimmy Robb .... Himself - interviewed

Martin Scorsese .... Himself - interviewed

Polly Sharp .... Herself - interviewed

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (theuofc @ Apr 20 2006, 12:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Did anyone see and tape "I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited" aired on television in 1994? I'd very much like to see Nancy Franklin's documentary of her second visit to the Western Isles. It's not available at Amazon. Please PM if you have it. Will happily trade/ or full costs.

If not, might someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Barbara

"I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited" (1994) TV

Directed by Mark Cousins

[/b]

It's on the Criterion DVD of IKWIG, along with:

+ Beautiful digital transfer supervised by Erwin Hillier.

+ Audio essay by film historian Ian Christie.

+ Behind-the-scenes stills, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell.

+ The 1994 documentary I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited, by Mark Cousins.

+ Excerpts from Michael Powell's 1937 feature The Edge of the World, with commentary, and the 1978 documentary Return to the Edge of the World.

+ Photo essay by I Know Where I'm Going! aficionado Nancy Franklin, who explores the locations used in the film.

+ Home movies from one of Michael Powell's Scottish expeditions, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell.

+ English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.

(Except that the Gaelic isn't subtitled - it just says "Speaks Gaelic")

Steve

Liked
    399 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 20 2006, 12:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

+ Photo essay by I Know Where I'm Going! aficionado Nancy Franklin, who explores the locations used in the film.

Steve

[/b]
    As soon as I posted the query, it dawned on me I'd seen Franklin somewhere, probably on a disc. But does Franklin's 'photo essay' include those interviews, Hillier, etc.?

Thanks,

Barbara

Liked
    418 times
    (theuofc @ Apr 20 2006, 01:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

As soon as I posted the query, it dawned on me I'd seen Franklin somewhere, probably on a disc. But does Franklin's 'photo essay' include those interviews, Hillier, etc.?

Thanks,

Barbara

[/b]

They're all on the documentary I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited, by Mark Cousins.

The photo essay is just Nancy showing some photos and talking about them.

Steve

Liked
    399 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 20 2006, 12:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

They're all on the documentary I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited, by Mark Cousins.

The photo essay is just Nancy showing some photos and talking about them.

Steve

[/b]
    Thanks for that clarification. I keep using the Criterion DVD from the library. I already have two versions of IKWIG but best I buy the Criterion now. You must have about four, don't you? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    418 times
    (theuofc @ Apr 20 2006, 03:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Thanks for that clarification. I keep using the Criterion DVD from the library. I already have two versions of IKWIG but best I buy the Criterion now. You must have about four, don't you? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Best,

Barbara

[/b]

At least. Can one have too many copies of any P&P film? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've got them all on multiple videos, all the commercially released ones and others recorded from TV. And very nearly all the DVD versions (didn't bother with some of the 2 or 3 DVD boxed sets when I had all the DVDs already). Plus the laser disks and a few other odd things like video disks (not a DVD but a similar animal, plays in a DVD player).

It's Black Narcissus that's been released in most DVD versions - so far.

Closely followed by The Thief of Bagdad and The Red Shoes

Only 2 DVD versions of IKWIG so far, but the good people at L'Institut Lumière are looking at that for one of their next ones.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 20 2006, 12:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

+ Beautiful digital transfer supervised by Erwin Hillier.

+ Audio essay by film historian Ian Christie.

+ Behind-the-scenes stills, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell.

+ The 1994 documentary I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited, by Mark Cousins.

+ Excerpts from Michael Powell's 1937 feature The Edge of the World, with commentary, and the 1978 documentary Return to the Edge of the World.

+ Home movies from one of Michael Powell's Scottish expeditions, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell.

+ English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.

(Except that the Gaelic isn't subtitled - it just says "Speaks Gaelic")

Steve

[/b]

Thanks Steve, what a wonderful collection of extras for one of my favourite films.

I already have IKWIG on DVD but I think I will treat myself to the Criterion release.

As you say, you cannot have enough of a good thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cheers

Dave.

Liked
    418 times
    (David Brent @ Apr 20 2006, 09:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Thanks Steve, what a wonderful collection of extras for one of my favourite films.

I already have IKWIG on DVD but I think I will treat myself to the Criterion release.

As you say, you cannot have enough of a good thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cheers

Dave.

[/b]

The Criterion DVD of The Red Shoes is even more packed with extras. It must be a contender for one of the best DVDs ever, even for anyone that doesn't like the film (If any such people exist).

+ New digital transfer supervised by Oscar winning director of photogaphy Jack Cardiff.

+ Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale and Martin Scorsese.

+ Third audio track with Jeremy Irons reading from Powell and Pressburger's novelisation of The Red Shoes.

+ Martin Scorsese's collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia.

+ A collection of rare publicity of behind-the-scenes production stills.

+ The Red Shoes Sketches, an animated film of Hein Heckroth's painted stoyboards. These may be viewed by themselves or in split screen (alternate angle) with the ballet of "The Red Shoes" from the film.

+ The animated film may be viewed with the music from the ballet or with Jeremy Irons reading from the original Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.

+ Theatrical Trailer.

+ A Powell and Pressburger filmography with film clips and stills from all of their films.

+ English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

+ Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition.

About the only thing that it doesn't include is Carlton's documentary A Profile of 'The Red Shoes' which has interviews with all the usual suspects (Prof Ian Christie, Jack Cardiff, Chris Challis) and Andrew & Kevin Macdonald (Emeric Pressburger's grandsons) and Christian Routh (Hein Heckroth's grandson) and a lovely interview with ballerina Darcey Bussell where she says it was Moira jumping into The Red Shoes that made her want to be a ballerina.

Steve