Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Criterion have announced that their next Powell & Pressburger film will be A Canterbury Tale (1944)

See Criterion forum (& succeeding pages)

A CANTERBURY TALE

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s beloved classic A Canterbury Tale is a profoundly personal journey to Powell’s bucolic birthplace of Kent, England. Set amidst the tumult of the Second World War, the film follows three modern-day incarnations of Chaucer’s pilgrims - a melancholy "landgirl", a plainspoken American GI, and a resourceful British sergeant - who are waylaid in the English countryside and forced to solve a bizarre village crime en route to the mythical town. A Canterbury Tale has acquired a following of devotees passionate enough to qualify as pilgrims themselves.

Info:

• Written and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger (The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus)

• Starring Dennis Price (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Ten Little Indians)

Special double-disc set features:

• All-new high-definition digital transfer

• Scenes from Michael Powell’s re-edited American version

• Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie

• John Sweet: A Pilgrim’s Return, a short documentary on actor John Sweet’s 2001 return to Canterbury

• Humphrey Jennings’s landmark documentary Listen to Britain

• Artist Victor Burgin’s impressionistic video piece Listen to Britain, inspired by Jennings’s film and A Canterbury Tale.

Title: A Canterbury Tale

CAT: CC1639D

UPC: 7-15515-01892-0

ISBN: 1-55940-987-8

SRP: $39.95

Prebook: 6/20/06

Street date: 7/25/06

There's one other item that I'm hoping to see amongst those extras, but even if they don't manage that it should still be another great DVD.

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 21 2006, 03:11 AM) [

Criterion have announced that their next Powell & Pressburger film will be A Canterbury Tale (1944)

• John Sweet: A Pilgrim’s Return, a short documentary on actor John Sweet’s 2001 return to Canterbury

• Artist Victor Burgin’s impressionistic video piece Listen to Britain, inspired by Jennings’s film and A Canterbury Tale.

There's one other item that I'm hoping to see amongst those extras, but even if they don't manage that it should still be another great DVD.

Steve
    Exciting news. The only specials on the Carlton DVD are the underwhelming interactive menu and scene access.

Looks like I'll be buying two from Criterion: ACT and IKWIG. Can "49th Parallel" be far behind?

Best,

Barbara

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (Steve Crook @ Apr 21 2006, 04:11 AM)

See Criterion forum (& succeeding pages)

A CANTERBURY TALE

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s beloved classic A Canterbury Tale is a profoundly personal journey to Powell’s bucolic birthplace of Kent, England. Set amidst the tumult of the Second World War, the film follows three modern-day incarnations of Chaucer’s pilgrims - a melancholy "landgirl", a plainspoken American GI, and a resourceful British sergeant - who are waylaid in the English countryside and forced to solve a bizarre village crime en route to the mythical town. A Canterbury Tale has acquired a following of devotees passionate enough to qualify as pilgrims themselves.

Info:

• Written and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger (The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus)

• Starring Dennis Price (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Ten Little Indians)

Title: A Canterbury Tale

CAT: CC1639D

UPC: 7-15515-01892-0

ISBN: 1-55940-987-8

SRP: $39.95

Sounds VERY good ! Irresistable, even !

Good old Criterion.

SMUDGE

Liked
    418 times
    The new DVD of A Canterbury Tale from Criterion arrived this morning. Superb quality of course, we expect nothing less.

The special double-disc set features:

+ New, restored high-definition digital transfer

+ Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie

+ Excerpts from the American Version, with Kim Hunter

+ New video interview with actress Sheila Sim

+ A Pilgrim's Return, a documentary about John Sweet, by Nick Burton and Eddie McMillan

+ A Canterbury Trail, a new documentary visiting the film locations, by David Thompson

+ Listen to Britain, 2001 video installation piece inspired by A Canterbury Tale, by artist Victor Burgin

+ Listen to Britain, a 1942 documentary by Humphrey Jennings

+ Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired

+ Plus: A booklet featuring essays by Graham Fuller, Peter von Bagh, and actor John Sweet

That documentary A Canterbury Trail is when David Thompson from the BBC followed us around on last year's ACT Location Walk, filming us and interviewing some of us.

The rest of the DVD is very good as well :)

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Did you get special treatment because you starred in it Steve ?

Mine's still somewhere over the Atlantic ! Can't wait....

SMUDGE

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Did you get special treatment because you starred in it Steve ?

Mine's still somewhere over the Atlantic ! Can't wait....

SMUDGE

Not only starring in the documentary but also getting a mention in the booklet and in Ian Christie's commentary track. It'll cost sixpence a time to talk to me soon

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I purchased this DVD - at Amazon, at some discount; maybe still available - and it is superb. It had received a very positive review in NYTimes.

I had bought an earlier DVD, from Britain, last winter, and enjoyed the movie, but this Criterion release has been such a joy to watch and explore. It really really makes me want to go visit Kent!

Anyway, this is my first post on this forum, which I am quite thrilled to discover.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JVerity
    I purchased this DVD - at Amazon, at some discount; maybe still available - and it is superb. It had received a very positive review in NYTimes.

I had bought an earlier DVD, from Britain, last winter, and enjoyed the movie, but this Criterion release has been such a joy to watch and explore. It really really makes me want to go visit Kent!

Anyway, this is my first post on this forum, which I am quite thrilled to discover.

Welcome to the forum J. I hope you liked my bit on the DVD

We do that walk on the last sunday of every August so if you do ever get over here try to time it for that weekend. There are 3 main places we go to, two villages near Canterbury where a lot of the scenes in the first part of the film were shot, and in Canterbury itself. That one on the DVD was a special walk because it was Michael Powell's centenary year. We went to the place where he was born and to some other places near there that we don't usually get to on the annual walks. See the PaPAS website for photos and reports from the annual walks and other trips and events that have happened around there.

Or of course anyone can go there at any time by themselves. If they do, most of the locations are listed here (complete with map references). Although then you don't get the benefit of Paul & myself telling you stories about the filming and lots of other people to discuss the film with.

And of course, I highly recommend buying a copy of Paul Tritton's book about the film.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JVerity

Welcome

Yes, a crackling forum - and an even better film! Just about my favourite non-Jenny film.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    The new DVD of A Canterbury Tale from Criterion arrived this morning. Superb quality of course, we expect nothing less.

The special double-disc set features:

+ New, restored high-definition digital transfer

+ Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie

+ Excerpts from the American Version, with Kim Hunter

+ New video interview with actress Sheila Sim

+ A Pilgrim's Return, a documentary about John Sweet, by Nick Burton and Eddie McMillan

+ A Canterbury Trail, a new documentary visiting the film locations, by David Thompson

+ Listen to Britain, 2001 video installation piece inspired by A Canterbury Tale, by artist Victor Burgin

+ Listen to Britain, a 1942 documentary by Humphrey Jennings

+ Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired

+ Plus: A booklet featuring essays by Graham Fuller, Peter von Bagh, and actor John Sweet

That documentary A Canterbury Trail is when David Thompson from the BBC followed us around on last year's ACT Location Walk, filming us and interviewing some of us.

The rest of the DVD is very good as well :)

Steve

You've talked me into buying it Steve.:)

I already have a copy of the film but the new "extras" are too inviting.

By the way Steve, do you get a commission for every copy sold? You should.

How much do you charge if I want to add your autograph to the latest 'A Canterbury Tale' DVD?

Cheers

Dave.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    You've talked me into buying it Steve.:)

I already have a copy of the film but the new "extras" are too inviting.

By the way Steve, do you get a commission for every copy sold? You should.

How much do you charge if I want to add your autograph to the latest 'A Canterbury Tale' DVD?

Cheers

Dave.

I don't get any commission, just the joy of spreading the word about a great film that was very much ignored, neglected and misunderstood when it first came out. They were so far ahead of their time (especially with this one) that most people are only now beginning to catch up or catch on to what they were on about.

I'll willingly autograph your copy free of charge. Just come along to one of our P&P events

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got this in. Excellent, fun, wonderful, top-notch.

Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']Just got this in. Excellent, fun, wonderful, top-notch.

Another one for me to autograph when you come to the UK

But it's the main film, not the documentary and other extras, that are the best bit. It's a wonderful film and the Criterion DVD is a first class version of it.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    With all too few exceptions, DVD Extras don't give me what I want. I do enjoy some of the Deleted Scenes, but interviews and background commentary hardly ever address issues that interest me (you know - the smut, clawed-out eyes, fingers bitten off, the filth and juicy backstabbing lies about associates, Elvis' two-headed alien babies on the set, etc).

Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']With all too few exceptions, DVD Extras don't give me what I want. I do enjoy some of the Deleted Scenes, but interviews and background commentary hardly ever address issues that interest me (you know - the smut, clawed-out eyes, fingers bitten off, the filth and juicy backstabbing lies about associates, Elvis' two-headed alien babies on the set, etc).

Oddly enough, there's not much about any of those things in ACT.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    C'mon, methinks you're holding out on us. Give us the dirt. No forced reshoots of the Face-Slapping scenes? No one slipped with the hair sheers and forced the crew to scramble for a replacement wig? No increasingly cinched-up corsets, forcing a certain actress to believe her latest diet was a bust? (Gee - and those were just typical runway stuff for us!)

Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']C'mon, methinks you're holding out on us. Give us the dirt. No forced reshoots of the Face-Slapping scenes? No one slipped with the hair sheers and forced the crew to scramble for a replacement wig? No increasingly cinched-up corsets, forcing a certain actress to believe her latest diet was a bust? (Gee - and those were just typical runway stuff for us!)

There is one nice story where the boys that led the river battle scene had to go "to London" (actually to Denham) to shoot some interiors. Jimmy Tamsitt's mum wanted to smarten him up for the visit, so got him to have a haircut. So of course that didn't match the unruly mop that he had in the scenes filmed on location - so he had to wear a wig for the scenes shot in the studio.

They were simpler times. Very few drama queens. Even Eric Portman & Dennis Price (the closest to possible drama queens involved) both behaved themselves very well.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='ChristineCB']With all too few exceptions, DVD Extras don't give me what I want. I do enjoy some of the Deleted Scenes, but interviews and background commentary hardly ever address issues that interest me (you know - the smut, clawed-out eyes, fingers bitten off, the filth and juicy backstabbing lies about associates, Elvis' two-headed alien babies on the set, etc).

One of the best DVDs I've ever seen as far as extras go is the Criterion DVD of The Red Shoes.

+ New digital transfer supervised by Oscar winning director of photogaphy Jack Cardiff.

+ Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale and Martin Scorsese.

+ Third audio track with Jeremy Irons reading from Powell and Pressburger's novelisation of The Red Shoes.

+ Martin Scorsese's collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia.

+ A collection of rare publicity of behind-the-scenes production stills.

+ The Red Shoes Sketches, an animated film of Hein Heckroth's painted stoyboards. These may be viewed by themselves or in split screen (alternate angle) with the ballet of "The Red Shoes" from the film.

+ The animated film may be viewed with the music from the ballet or with Jeremy Irons reading from the original Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.

+ Theatrical Trailer.

+ A Powell and Pressburger filmography with film clips and stills.

+ English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.

And they fit all of that, plus the film itself of course, onto the one DVD.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    The ACT release is outstanding - would be one of the highlights of my entire collection even without the film! (which is, of course, sublime)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    THIS is superb For less than �3 from hmv stores

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast