Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Does anyone remember The Figaro Club,about a group of workers and their antics. It starred Norman Rossington,Roland Curram and was narrated by Michael Elphick.

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I do remember it Marky, I'm pretty sure it was called "Big Jim and the Figaro Club" it didn't have a long run, which is a shame because it was certainly one of the better gentle comedies around at the time. Oh, by the by...didn't Bob Hoskins do the narration? Regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    I'd go along with Bob Hoskins as narrator and I think an early pre Eastenders role for Gillian Taylforth or was it her sister?

One call for Figaro every bugger calls for Figaro.

Liked
    0 times
    Mmm, although not credited on the IMdb(or anywhere particularly!) I'm sure it was Gillian Taylforth.Regards, Decks.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    I remember that series! At least, I'd forgotten about it until you reminded me, but it all comes flooding back. It was really good, as I remember. How about a rerun on BBC4?

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Could be right about Bob Hoskins!

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Liked
    0 times
    Late to this thread, but better late than never...

I remember this one, mostly because it was filmed in my home town (Exmouth, in Devon) and I (along with a whole bunch of kids from school) was an extra in it! All dressed up in 50's clobber with slicked down hair. I was in two bits : the final scene with the wooden horse (in the first episode) and the bonfire scene (can't remember off hand which one that was). That's pretty much my only TV claim-to-fame... !

Yes, the full title was "Big Jim and the Figaro Club", and yes it was Bob Hoskins who narrated. Other notable cast include Sylvester McCoy (who became Doctor Who number seven) and Tony Robinson (who went on to play Baldrick in Black Adder). There were five episodes. Google will reveal all the other important (!? ;-) info...

... and yes, a repeat on BBC4 would be fab as the video copy I have is very bad... ! Anyone from auntie listening??

S.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Jan 22 2005, 01:50 PM

Does anyone remember The Figaro Club,about a group of workers and their antics. It starred Norman Rossington,Roland Curram and was narrated by Michael Elphick.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Yes MarkyB I remember that. Big Jim and the Figaro Club! Norman Rossington in his shirt tails on a Sunday afternoon waiting for his once weekly bit of nuckie! Bloody terrific. Repeat please!!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    does anyone remember 'big jim ...'

made in the late 70s it was about a group of council workmen constantly at odds with the town clerk and was set in the 50s

it had norman rossington and gordon rollings in it

anyone got this series ?

' I CALL ON FIGARO !!! '

Liked
    0 times
    I remember the series batman, but I don't have any copies of it.

"One call on Figaro, every bugger calls on Figaro"

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    (JIM @ Aug 3 2005, 02:30 PM)

Yes MarkyB I remember that. Big Jim and the Figaro Club! Norman Rossington in his shirt tails on a Sunday afternoon waiting for his once weekly bit of nuckie! Bloody terrific. Repeat please!!
    marvellous series .... the pilot episode was aired in 1979 and was well received (especially by me!) and series of six episodes went out in 1981 .... trouble was, it was on bbc 2 on (i think) a tuesday at about 11pm .... therefore hardly anyone watched it .... bob hoskins was the narrator and apart from sylvester mccoy and norman rossington there was roland curram and the wonderful gordon rollings .... i do not remember ms taylforth but it was nearly thirty years ago !!!

some bloke is auctioning a vhs of this on e-bay as we speak .... current bidding is over fifty quid !!!!!

come on bbc .... bbc 4 repeats and/or a dvd release .... pleeeeasse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy of the series on VHS as my father was Gordon Rollings. It was a great series and as someone mentioned, had it been aired at the right time it would have got the acknowledgement it deserved. The VHS I have is a bit old now, the producer Colin Rose gave it to me and I thank him for that.

regards,

Justin

Liked
    0 times
    Justin, as comedy it was superb and as a mirror of social history it was profound. I would love to get a copy of this series.Would you know if that is possible?

Liked
    0 times
    name='JustinRollings']I have a copy of the series on VHS as my father was Gordon Rollings. It was a great series and as someone mentioned, had it been aired at the right time it would have got the acknowledgement it deserved. The VHS I have is a bit old now, the producer Colin Rose gave it to me and I thank him for that.

regards,

Justin

Justin,

I have the capability to transfer VHS into digital (eg. mpeg) format that can be stored on DVD. What you have is a unique piece of TV history that either belongs in a museum of television, or in a museum of social history, or (what I believe it deserves) a modern format for distribution to a wider audience. (I have no commercial interest - I just want to lay hands on a copy). If you would like to pursue the possibility of transfer to modern digital medium, please post a reply to this message.

TheMaster

Liked
    1 times
    well hello like all of you i love movies like to see older film made in England. I like old britsh comadys.the one tv comady show i would like to get my hands on is one from the early 70s called Big Jim and the figaro club if any body knows if it is outthere please let me know many thanks i look forward to hearing from you . Paul McCormack.

Liked
    0 times
    ...before the world turned lax and sour".

Yes, this little gem of a series left a lasting impression on those who saw it. I particularly remember the episode in which Gillian Taylforth played "Dishmop, the Tango Queen", granting Mr. Perkins the pleasure of "the last dance". A throw-back to the days of the Ealing comedies, it reminded us of the sense of propriety and common decency prevalent in the working-class of days gone by, ... before the world turned lax and sour!

I would so love to see it again.

Compliments,

montrose

Liked
    1 times
    To Justin Rollings. If you do dicide to have copys of Big Jim made please let me know as i think this was well befor its time and should be made availiable to the wider puplic that appreciates good british comedy look forward to reading your reply. paul mccormack

Liked
    0 times
    Good Evenning Everybody

Can anyone tell me were I can obtain copies of this marvelous series. Big Jim and the Figaro Club moved me to write to the BBC at Bristol in 1981 where it was produced to enquire about the fantastic music played during the shows. I received a reply which helped me go forth and broaden my musical tase beyond Pink Floyd and the Jam. I would now love to see the shows again.

Thanks for any help

Baggies

Liked
    0 times
    You might refer to the thread on "Big Jim" (see entries from 11.02.07) which contains some interesting information on this gem of a series. There are VHS copies out there - it's just a matter of finding someone who will transfer his copy to DVD. I, too, dream of "those far-off days in the Figaro Club, before the world turned lax and sour"!

Regards,

montrose

Liked
    0 times
    Being a child of the period, this was by a mile the most authentic,evocative series I can recall. There apears to be many of us who remember and appreciate the series it seems to make sense for BBC to retransmit say on BBC4. I too would love to have a copy on VHS or DVD. To date I have drawn a blank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast