Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    First post from me and I am wandering if anybody can help me to buy a legitimate copy of 'High Rise Donkey' a childrens film from 1970 starring Wilfred Brambell (also Alfie Bass, Roy Kinnear and Sam Kydd).

Reason being my brother-in-law also had a small part in the film (and handled the donkey most of the time) and I would like to surprise him with a copy.

Thanks

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Hi Kevin -

I have sent you a Private Message re: HRD.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    I have this, pm me if you still need it.

Liked
    0 times
    Has anybody got a copy of the above. My hairdresser was an extra and I would like to treat her with a copy.

Thanks

Kilkenny

Liked
    0 times
    My hairdresser was 13 at the time and played one of the children living in the block of flats.

Liked
    0 times
    does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of this film high rise donkey? me and some friends on our estate were in this childrens foundation film in the summer holiday of 1980....if anybody knows of this film it would be great ive looked for many years but no luck

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='richard177']does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of this film high rise donkey? me and some friends on our estate were in this childrens foundation film in the summer holiday of 1980....if anybody knows of this film it would be great ive looked for many years but no luck

I have High Rise Donkey and would be happy to send you a copy and to hear any reminisences you have of making the film.

Cheers,

Smudge

Liked
    0 times
    name='smudge']I have High Rise Donkey and would be happy to send you a copy and to hear any reminisences you have of making the film.

Cheers,

Smudge

Hi, I have been trying to obtain this for some time. My uncle was a camera man on it and he got friendly with Wilfrid Brambell during it and they would sneak out for a pint of guinness whenever they weren't needed.

He kept copies of everything he worked on when possible, but he lost most of them in a house fire and I know it would really make his day to see this movie again!!

Please help if you can!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    name='therealcharro']Hi, I have been trying to obtain this for some time. My uncle was a camera man on it and he got friendly with Wilfrid Brambell during it and they would sneak out for a pint of guinness whenever they weren't needed.

He kept copies of everything he worked on when possible, but he lost most of them in a house fire and I know it would really make his day to see this movie again!!

Please help if you can!

The cameraman (or Directory of Photography) on this is listed on IMDb as William Jordan. I haven't checked the film to see what the credits say. I wonder what happened to the three principal child actors in it, Leigh Gotch; Wendy Cook and Aaron Sweeney. They'll all be around thirty years older by now. Talk about Tempus Fugit!

I see that someone named Kevin joined the forum in January, 2006, just to ask if anyone could help him get a copy of this and then promptly disappeared and never came back. Why do people do things like that?

Liked
    0 times
    name='darrenburnfan']The cameraman (or Directory of Photography) on this is listed on IMDb as William Jordan. I haven't checked the film to see what the credits say. I wonder what happened to the three principal child actors in it, Leigh Gotch; Wendy Cook and Aaron Sweeney. They'll all be around thirty years older by now. Talk about Tempus Fugit!

I see that someone named Kevin joined the forum in January, 2006, just to ask if anyone could help him get a copy of this and then promptly disappeared and never came back. Why do people do things like that?

Hi

William Jordan WAS the DOP, correct, however my Uncle was simply a cameraman, he never made it to a DOP. In High Rise Donkey he was mainly responsible for the Crane Camera although he did perform other tasks within the film.

My Uncle was one of three principal cameramen or 'principal photographers' as he prefers to call it. I'll ask him if he has any stories about Mr. Jordan which I cna share with you!!

I haven't looked into what happened to the child actors but I intend to as you have me curious now!!

Phil

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, realcharro. When I have time, I will upload some frames from the film with the child actors on them. Almost all the child actors in CFF films (with some very rare exceptions) have since vanished without trace and I often wonder what became of them all.

Liked
    98 times
    Here are a couple of frames, taken off a video of an off air recording. I see from the beginning that the film was directed by Michael Forlong, father of former CFF child actor James Forlong, who tragically took his own life a few years ago. The credits at the end of this copy cut off abruptly, so I couldn't see the name of the camera operator. Perhaps somone has a copy with the end credits complete on it. Although not released until 1980, it was actually filmed in the summer of 1979.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='darrenburnfan']Thanks, realcharro. When I have time, I will upload some frames from the film with the child actors on them. Almost all the child actors in CFF films (with some very rare exceptions) have since vanished without trace and I often wonder what became of them all.
    I expect that for many of them, their work for the CFF showed them that working of films and TV isn't at all as glamorous as they thought it would be and they went and got proper jobs instead

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='darrenburnfan']Here are a couple of frames, taken off a video of an off air recording. I see from the beginning that the film was directed by Michael Forlong, father of former CFF child actor James Forlong, who tragically took his own life a few years ago. The credits at the end of this copy cut off abruptly, so I couldn't see the name of the camera operator. Perhaps somone has a copy with the end credits complete on it. Although not released until 1980, it was actually filmed in the summer of 1979.

Of course I can give you the name of one of the camera operators. There is an implication there that you do not believe me, I resent that.

My uncles union name was Steven (sometime Stephen) Morris. His real name is actually Arthur Morris. He oonly actually did 1 film with his real name when there was an error in the production credits.

I have never seen High Rise Donkey so I don't know if he was credited but I would assume he was, I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't be.

But if you have something to say to me then please just come out with it.

I just want to obtain this as a special gift. There are only 2 other filsm he worked on which I have been unable to obtain, in total he worked on over 40 films, which isn't really that many for camera men. But he had a habit of falling out with people, he liked a drink or two!!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='therealcharro']Of course I can give you the name of one of the camera operators. There is an implication there that you do not believe me, I resent that.

My uncles union name was Steven (sometime Stephen) Morris. His real name is actually Arthur Morris. He oonly actually did 1 film with his real name when there was an error in the production credits.

I have never seen High Rise Donkey so I don't know if he was credited but I would assume he was, I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't be.

But if you have something to say to me then please just come out with it.

I just want to obtain this as a special gift. There are only 2 other filsm he worked on which I have been unable to obtain, in total he worked on over 40 films, which isn't really that many for camera men. But he had a habit of falling out with people, he liked a drink or two!!!

Ooh, no need to be so touchy. Or did you inherit your uncle's liking for an argument?

darrenburnfan just said that the credits were cut off on his copy. He didn't even say that your uncle wasn't credited and I certainly don't see any implications in what he said. Although it was quite common back then for only the DoP to be credited and not all of the operators.

Tell you what, if you want to do your uncle a favour, why not add his details to the IMDb? Start by finding a film where he did get an on-screen credit and take a screen grab of that credit

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    You are quite right, Steve. I only said that the credits on my copy cut off abruptly, so that the name of the camera operator wasn't there, not that therealcharro didn't know what the name was. I just thought that if anyone had a complete copy of the film, they could capture a frame with his uncle's credit on it and upload it here, so that his uncle could see that he was credited on the film. My DVD-R of the film, obtained off eBay years ago, appears to be transferred from a video recording of the film when it was shown on television probably about 25 years ago. Picture and sound quality are okay, except for the abrupt ending. In fact, the credit with the children's names on shown above is the only credit at the end of the film before it cuts off. This film has never been released commercially on video or DVD, so if therealcharro wants what he calls a legitimate copy, I'm afraid he won't be able to get one.

Liked
    98 times
    UPDATE: I've just been surfing around the Internet and I've tracked down Leigh Gotch. He is now Head of Toys at Bonham's Auctioneers in New Bond Street, London. I've also tracked down a modern photo of him and it's definitely the same Leigh Gotch, but thirty years older. He's shown wearing the cloak that Christopher Lee wore in Dracula...which must be worth quite a bit by now. It's funny where people eventually end up and what they end up doing, isn't it?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I can help here - I've checked my copy of High Rise Donkey and it does have all the end credits. However it only lists "Photography - Billy Jordan". Unfortunately I have no idea how to do a screen shot though.

John.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, John. Your copy is obviously more complete than mine. You would need a programme on your computer such as PowerDVD to capture frames off a DVD and, to grab images off the Internet, a free to download programme such as Capture Wiz Pro, or Quick Screen Capture.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone

Sorry for the absence. Thanks for everyone's help here, I have managed to obtain it from one of my uncles old contacts who was involved with it. Mine has the credits missing too, not sure what source it is from etc, looks clearly like a tv broadcast but it really made his day to see it, you know what old folk are like with their memories!!

Thanks to all of you though, :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast