Thread: Sweeney!

Liked
    0 times
    Thames Television/Euston Films' landmark cop show The Sweeney spawned two spin-off feature films: 1976's Sweeney! and 1978's Sweeney 2.

The first is by far the better, with a plot - involving an American company trying to manipulate the price of oil - quite relevant today.

Plus, it's got a classic last line, as DS George Carter points accusingly at his guvnor, DI Jack Regan, and says: "They didn't kill 'im, you did!"

You need to see the film to understand the significance of this.

Plus, it's got a fantastic 70s score by Denis King.

Liked
    0 times
    Won't anyone vote for Sweeney!?

No?......well I'll vote for it myself.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    (djdave @ May 29 2006, 03:58 PM)

Won't anyone vote for Sweeney!?

No?......well I'll vote for it myself.
    It was a great brace of films, IMWO the first one was the best. This was in the days when you needed the cinema version of a TV show to get away with obscene language more violence and of course nudity, exotic location filming (Malta in Sweeney 2) plus the longer film format made for a more comprehensive story and plot.

Since the two hour TV drama format came into being (non-serialised), which I think one of the first must have been Inspector Morse in the mid-80s, there hasn't really been the need to produce feature film versions of such television shows. In more recent years the obscene language, violence and nudity has been widely accepted on UK TV so I suppose anything goes these days on the box so had The Sweeney television series been current today these two films may have been just standard episodes.

Liked
    0 times
    (samkydd @ May 29 2006, 05:40 PM

It was a great brace of films, IMWO the first one was the best. This was in the days when you needed the cinema version of a TV show to get away with obscene language more violence and of course nudity, exotic location filming (Malta in Sweeney 2) plus the longer film format made for a more comprehensive story and plot.

Since the two hour TV drama format came into being (non-serialised), which I think one of the first must have been Inspector Morse in the mid-80s, there hasn't really been the need to produce feature film versions of such television shows. In more recent years the obscene language, violence and nudity has been widely accepted on UK TV so I suppose anything goes these days on the box so had The Sweeney television series been current today these two films may have been just standard episodes.
    Couldn't agree more, matey. Glad someone else feels the same

If you liked The Sweeney itself, and particularly the 70s music, then you might like to check out the CD Shut It! Music Of The Sweeney (Sanctuary Records)

Classic stuff!!

Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djdave
    Couldn't agree more, matey. Glad someone else feels the same

If you liked The Sweeney itself, and particularly the 70s music, then you might like to check out the CD Shut It! Music Of The Sweeney (Sanctuary Records)

Classic stuff!!
    I bought the pilot episode of The Sweeney called Regan this week. It was written by Ian Kennedy-Martin who completed this pilot but didn't see eye to eye with producer Ted Childs (who apparently tried to re-write huge chunks of his finished script and he wasn't even a writer). I K-M had other work in the pipeline and so he handed over to his brother to write The Sweeney series proper. Regan was a pilot commissioned by Euston Films and appeared in a series called Armchair Cinema. The series Special Branch ".....was going nowhere" and IK-M described it as "a load of tosh" and so The Sweeney was a much needed replacement for it.

The Regan plot was quite a simple tale but it quickly established the character of Regan being the maverick DI with little regard for his superiors and the political changes taking place within The Yard at the time, and Carter as his loyal but reluctant sidekick. Well worth seeing. The DVD has an interview with I K-M and also commentary by Dennis Waterman and producer Ted Childs.

Regan's first words in Regan; "Get yer trousers on, you're nicked!"

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I loved 'Regan'. I bought this a few weeks ago and have watched it 3 times already. It encapsulates the essence of what became 'The Sweeney' within the first half hour, superb stuff. Both 'Sweeney' films are OK but, and I can't put my finger on why, leave me dissatisfied with them. I never really watched 'Special Branch' but would like to because I am a fan of 70s Patrick Mower. I have just acquired a set of 'Target' dvds and they are great, much better than it's reputation suggests.

Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    I loved 'Regan'. I bought this a few weeks ago and have watched it 3 times already. It encapsulates the essence of what became 'The Sweeney' within the first half hour, superb stuff. Both 'Sweeney' films are OK but, and I can't put my finger on why, leave me dissatisfied with them. I never really watched 'Special Branch' but would like to because I am a fan of 70s Patrick Mower. I have just acquired a set of 'Target' dvds and they are great, much better than it's reputation suggests.
    I never saw Special Branch either, but I always used to get George Sewell mixed up with Lee Montague. When I watched Regan yesterday the character of Arthur Dale is played by Lee Montague and I immediately thought it was George Sewell.

Some connetions there:

George Sewell - Special Branch

Lee Montague - Regan

Lee Montague's character - Arthur Dale

Dennis Waterman - Regan

Dennis Waterman - Minder

Arthur Daley - Minder

Ian Kennedy-Martin is also writing on the new Sweeney movie due out next year.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    cb2.jpgI worked on many Sweeney episodes (and the two films) and it was always a great laugh. John Thaw was a good guy to work with...(bless him)

Talking of good guys.......Not.....

Aitch,

Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder
    I worked on many Sweeney episodes (and the two films) and it was always a great laugh. John Thaw was a good guy to work with...(bless him)

Talking of good guys.......Not.....

Aitch,
    Unlike most professions to be able to see the work you did 30 odd years ago and the people you worked with must be a great feeling, and probably sparks off many happy memories of the days spent on filming as if it was only the other week!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Batman - that's amazing, I had EXACTLY the same reaction!!! (Please someone say "great minds...")

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samkydd
    I bought the pilot episode of The Sweeney called Regan this week. It was written by Ian Kennedy-Martin who completed this pilot but didn't see eye to eye with producer Ted Childs (who apparently tried to re-write huge chunks of his finished script and he wasn't even a writer). I K-M had other work in the pipeline and so he handed over to his brother to write The Sweeney series proper. Regan was a pilot commissioned by Euston Films and appeared in a series called Armchair Cinema. The series Special Branch ".....was going nowhere" and IK-M described it as "a load of tosh" and so The Sweeney was a much needed replacement for it.

The Regan plot was quite a simple tale but it quickly established the character of Regan being the maverick DI with little regard for his superiors and the political changes taking place within The Yard at the time, and Carter as his loyal but reluctant sidekick. Well worth seeing. The DVD has an interview with I K-M and also commentary by Dennis Waterman and producer Ted Childs.

Regan's first words in Regan; "Get yer trousers on, you're nicked!"

Its not the first time this line is used in a Euston Films production. Patrick Mower spouts the exact same line as Haggerty in an episode of "SPECIAL BRANCH".