Liked
    0 times
    I think this was a black and white British film probably made in the 50's. An army officer accused of a crime was too honourable to call evidence which would have cleared him but disgraced his wife. In the end he proved his innocence by proving that a particular jacket belonged to him through knowing that a medallion was sewn into its lining.

Liked
    0 times
    (jontris @ May 22 2006, 06:33 PM)

I think this was a black and white British film probably made in the 50's. An army officer accused of a crime was too honourable to call evidence which would have cleared him but disgraced his wife. In the end he proved his innocence by proving that a particular jacket belonged to him through knowing that a medallion was sewn into its lining.

The first clue is definitely 'Carrington VC' but the second clue is definitely not.

Liked
    0 times
    (plasticjock @ May 22 2006, 07:55 PM)

The first clue is definitely 'Carrington VC' but the second clue is definitely not.
    Thanks plasticjock. Funny you should say Carrington VC because that's the name I thought I remembered myself. But when I saw Carrington VC quite recently it wasn't the right film. It was absolutely ages ago (perhaps 30 years) I saw the film I'm thinking of so perhaps I'm getting two films confused in my mind.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    0 times
    Could it be LIBEL (1959) starring Dirk Bogarde, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Olivia de Havilland, Robert Morley?

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (Wilfried Mueller @ Jun 4 2006, 05:51 AM)

Could it be LIBEL (1959) starring Dirk Bogarde, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Olivia de Havilland
    I think you're right, Wilfried.

For Jontris: it was not that the character was "too honourable to call evidence which would have cleared him but disgraced his wife." This is a bit mixed, but without giving away too much, I'm convinced it's "Libel" because of another detail. Bogarde plays three characters in the film, well worth seeing.

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    'Libel' looks very plausible. I've obviously got the details badly mixed up possibly with Carrington VC but, hey, it was 30+ years ago. Thank you all. What a great site this is.