Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Llewellyn Moxey
    Angela was great to work with. A very talented and lovely lady. Andy Griffith was a little different! It turned out he was not too fond of the British. Ah well, it takes all sorts.

Cheers John
    That is nice to hear about Angela Lansbury. That show was a great favorite in my family.

As for Andy Griffith - as you know, he has been a "household name" here in the US since the 60s. (I'm not sure how popular he is in Britain?) But I have read that he can be rather cranky and irritable. I'm sorry you had to put up with that sort of treatment. But Matlock was quite a good show.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR
    That is nice to hear about Angela Lansbury. That show was a great favorite in my family.

As for Andy Griffith - as you know, he has been a "household name" here in the US since the 60s. (I'm not sure how popular he is in Britain?) But I have read that he can be rather cranky and irritable. I'm sorry you had to put up with that sort of treatment. But Matlock was quite a good show.
    Personally, I've only heard of Matlock via the constant namechecking by Abe Simpson........the same goes for MacGyver...and Marge's sisters.

....though I suspect it might have had an airing here in the seventies. We had all sorts of American shows back then....

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Andy Griffith played a really nasty psychopathic murdering landowner in the film Murder in Coweta County with Johnny Cash. He was very good (as was Cash) in this true story.

Liked
    0 times
    Angela was great to work with. A very talented and lovely lady. Andy Griffith was a little different! It turned out he was not too fond of the British. Ah well, it takes all sorts.

Cheers John
    John,eveytime I see your posts on the forum I keep meaning to buy the DVD set of Gideons Way which is available in the uK. I know you directed a few episodes apart from seeing one episode on an evening of nostalgic tv some years ago I havent seen Gideon since I was a lad in 1966.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I'm back from two weeks in Germany with a flight bag full of DVDs. The very first thing I picked up was an Edgar Wallace adaptation with a title which translates as The Mystery of the Silver Triangle. What should I find but that this very film is none other than Circus of Fear, an Anglo-German Harry Alan Towers production shot in 1965 and released in different versions in both countries.

The UK version has the advantage of being in colour and widescreen, and of being directed by our very own John Moxey. The DVD helpfully contains both versions. Haven't had time to watch bopth versions yet, but I'm assuming there are some faily major differences, as each version is credited to a different director.

Any memories as to how that would have worked, John. Would both directors have been on set at the same time?

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brett
    Well I'm back from two weeks in Germany with a flight bag full of DVDs. The very first thing I picked up was an Edgar Wallace adaptation with a title which translates as The Mystery of the Silver Triangle. What should I find but that this very film is none other than Circus of Fear, an Anglo-German Harry Alan Towers production shot in 1965 and released in different versions in both countries.

The UK version has the advantage of being in colour and widescreen, and of being directed by our very own John Moxey. The DVD helpfully contains both versions. Haven't had time to watch bopth versions yet, but I'm assuming there are some faily major differences, as each version is credited to a different director.

Any memories as to how that would have worked, John. Would both directors have been on set at the same time?
    To tell you the truth I had no knowledge of another version or director!

I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

John

Liked
    1 times
    To tell you the truth I had no knowledge of another version or director!

I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

John
    Sounds like a fairly typical experience for a director working for Harry Alan Towers! Some of the stories about him are absolutely hair-raising (and not to be repeated here!).

Your version is great, by the way.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I didn't know there was a thread on Mr. Moxey until just now when I noticed it at 'Who's Online' (which has introduced me to quite a few of them). If you chance up on this post, Sir, I must say you were very gentlemanly in your response to some of the early messages here! As I was born in the mid-1960s I've missed out on a lot, notably the plays you directed for TV. I look forward to catching up with your work, such as The Saint, but share Harbottle's frustration over the unavailability of The Edgar Wallace Mysteries.

Kindest regards,

Cornershop

Liked
    0 times
    Lovely thread. I kept noticing the name John Llewellyn Moxey on things I was watching and was delighted to see the name on posts at this forum.

John, I was always intrigued by the ITV PLay of the Week you directed with James Mason and Stanley Baker - The Tormentors. Very high on my got to see before the world ends list.

Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknorth
    Lovely thread. I kept noticing the name John Llewellyn Moxey on things I was watching and was delighted to see the name on posts at this forum.

John, I was always intrigued by the ITV PLay of the Week you directed with James Mason and Stanley Baker - The Tormentors. Very high on my got to see before the world ends list.
    A production I am very proud of. I hope you enjoy it. The title I knew it by was " A Tall, Stalwart Lancer.

John

Liked
    0 times
    Just having a good read in the garden, and enjoying the new book, "ROGER MOORE.....MY WORD IS MY BOND", a really self depricating and fun read. When Roger tells of some of the fine directors he's been fortunate enough to work with, he mentions John Moxey, and I presume he is referring to OUR own John Moxey is he not? Great to see your talents were appreciated John.

kelp

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    Really an outstanding body of work, Mr. Moxey!

You probably hear about your films and television series work all the time, but I also want to say I grew up with your 70s/early 80s made-for-tv movies and I adored those.

Liked
    45 times
    Many thanks for the kind remarks. I have had a most exciting life, so far. Now I have great memories.

BUT, I'm not dead yet!!

John

Liked
    1 times
    Just curious, Mr. Moxey, how did you get along with Pernell Roberts on "San Francisco International"?

Roberts has done some good work, but I know he also has a reputation of being difficult if he's not crazy about the script.

Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fox
    Just curious, Mr. Moxey, how did you get along with Pernell Roberts on "San Francisco International"?

Roberts has done some good work, but I know he also has a reputation of being difficult if he's not crazy about the script.
    I am happy to say, we got along very well.

Psst...I do hate being called Mr Moxey. I was known as John, or it(!) for most of my time at the helm.

John

Senior Member Country: UK tv horror's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't forget that John was the man who changed tv horror with his fantastic work on the Nightstalker, I want to say thank you for giving us a true classic of the genre.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Many thanks for the kind remarks. I have had a most exciting life, so far. Now I have great memories.

BUT, I'm not dead yet!!

John
    John, an exciting life and great memories.... you must have a bagful of stories, anecdotes and interesting information to pass on! Are you writing your memoirs by any chance, or do you intend to?

Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlGirl
    John, an exciting life and great memories.... you must have a bagful of stories, anecdotes and interesting information to pass on! Are you writing your memoirs by any chance, or do you intend to?
    I have thought about it. I have a nasty thought of writing pages and pages, and being the only one who read them!

John (Munching chocolate)

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I have thought about it. I have a nasty thought of writing pages and pages, and being the only one who read them!
    I never let a little thing like that stand in my way...........

I should certainly read the segments about The Big Knife, where I have read already that, "Director John Moxey obviously chose his players with care" .... ............ and the concluding sentence to the review of the much less *famous* McGoohan vehicle, Disturbance, that says, "To lock men away from the world is indeed a terrible punishment and this was reflected in John Moxey's exciting yet sympathetic production"

Eric Sykes titled his autobiography: "If I don't write it nobody else will"....... but as you can see it is actually far more likely that: "somebody else will"..............

Liked
    1 times

I'd definitely buy a copy.

John, how was it working with Chuck Connors on "Nightmare In Badham County"? (I thought you got a pretty good performance out of him, and it was fun seeing him play a bad guy.)

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast