Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    yes David: the serial episodes shown of Flash Gordon etc looked ancient even in 1971, but kids certainly never complained, and of course it was obvious that George Lucas 'stole' the opening crawl of the lettering rising at an angle to tell 'the story so far' for Star Wars later on. I will never forget the electronic humming sound effect of those archaic, sparking 1930s space-ships.

hiya Rick; yes, I remember when cinema ads looked like this: your listings look like the London area, however I was up in Scotland then. As a kid, my imagination often went into overdrive seeing enticing posters of the period, and to be honest, when I got to see DR JEKYLL and SISTER HYDE on TV in the late 70s, it never disappointed like some films do.

I knew other kids who got to see WHEN DINOSAURS RULED as well as me, and so it must have been a 'cut' version on general release: however, there is most certainly a 'harder' version with lots more female nudity: this version has [Victoria Vetri caught inside a man-eating plant] which may have been assembled for the Japanese market?

Thanks for adding these handy illustrations.

I most certainly recall the DINOSAURS and especially the WILLARD one.
    Last edited by Odeon68; 11-07-16 at 07:17 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    I knew other kids who got to see WHEN DINOSAURS RULED as well as me, and so it must have been a 'cut' version on general release: however, there is most certainly a 'harder' version with lots more female nudity: this version has [Victoria Vetri caught inside a man-eating plant] which may have been assembled for the Japanese market?
    The version of WHEN DINOSAURS RULED released on DVD by Warner several years ago is the uncut version with the nudity two short scenes). The DVD is region free.

Liked
    0 times
    that's the one, m3! It seemed more nudity than a couple of scenes, but I will certainly take your word for it---I did notice it was different from the version I saw originally, though.

Senior Member Country: England zabadak's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm afraid I was underwhelmed by this film...

Liked
    0 times
    yes zaba, it divided audiences in 1971 and it's the same today.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    I'm afraid I was underwhelmed by this film...
    I have to agree with that. I can appreciate Kubrick's technical prowess but everything after Dr Stangelove left me feeling disappointed.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    They do say that although his name was on the credits, he didn't direct much of Spartacus and that Kirk Douglas practically did it himself, along with initial help from Anthony Mann.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    They do say that although his name was on the credits, he didn't direct much of Spartacus and that Kirk Douglas practically did it himself, along with initial help from Anthony Mann.
    That's rubbish. There is no evidence that Douglas directed any scenes of Spartacus and what was left of Mann's work, if anything, was barely 5 minutes. What Kubrick didn't have on Spartacus was artistic control as he was a hired hand employed to direct a script already written (and which he had little ability to alter without permission of Douglas), with locations, cast and crew already chosen and a little bit of footage already in the can.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234