Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I think you will find that PAL is 25 fps.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah well... as long as they colorize everything, that alone makes all films great and wonderful. Then they can pan & puke 'em, too. For the sake of iPods everywhere, just take out all but the middle 5% of each frame. Downloads will really speed along.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    PAL is 25 frames of 720 x 576 pixels (digital frame size) per second , interlaced from 50 half vertical resolution fields per second .

NTSC is only 640(?) x 480 pixels , and even though NTSC's framerate is 29.97fps , this 'higher' datarate is wasted for a film, as film is shot at only 24 frames per second.

NTSC equipment has to process the film's 24fps using a 'pull-down' system of cutting and mixing fields to 'stretch-out' and 'slice-up' 24 frames to fit into 60 fields for interlacing onto the NTSC tv's screen every second.

PAL on the otherhand, simply shows the film 4% faster at 25 fps and it 'fits' the TV system exactly, without any messy pull-down conversion.

Also Christine , PAL stands for Phase Alternating Line, whereas

NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Colour !!! (good job these are black and white ! )

Ady

Liked
    0 times
    A friend - who is much more technically minded than me - told me that manufacturers artifitially create "regions" with DVDs so that they can sell more copies. :mad:

Classic films....Rutherford's portrayal is so eccentrically English

Liked
    2 times
    A friend - who is much more technically minded than me - told me that manufacturers artifitially create "regions" with DVDs so that they can sell more copies. :mad:

That is so, but with many DVD players now multi Region that has largely evaporated as a restriction. The NTSC/PAL conflict is more of a barrier now.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djdave

I've noticed that in many of Dame Margaret's films her husband, Stringer Davies, also appears in a supporting role; perhaps her appearances were made on condition that he was also in the cast. If you're a jobbing actor looking for work it must help if you have a star in the family!

Liked
    0 times
    I've read that Rutherford was a bit frail by the late fifties ; - in need of constant 'medical' pampering from her husband, Stringer Davies. Initially , she turned down the part of Miss Marple, only changing her mind when Stringer was offered the supporting role.

Allegedly

A.....d.y

Ady

Liked
    0 times
    I think (allegedly!) that Rutherford was a bit frail by the late fifties ; - in need of constant 'medical' pampering from her husband, Stringer Davies. Initially , she turned down the part of Miss Marple, only changing her mind when Stringer was offered the supporting role.

Allegedly

A.....d.y

Ady
    Hmm...She looked very frail indeed in the swordfight scene of Murder Ahoy:box:

The earliest film which I've seen where they appear together is "Innocents in Paris" (1953). I don't know if they were married at that time.

Liked
    0 times
    I've read that Rutherford was a bit frail by the late fifties ; - in need of constant 'medical' pampering from her husband, Stringer Davies. Initially , she turned down the part of Miss Marple, only changing her mind when Stringer was offered the supporting role.

Allegedly

A.....d.y

Ady
    She was in her late sixties early seventies when she did the Mis Marple films and I always thought looked quite robust. She was eighty when she died in 1972 of pneumonia - but I understand she was quite ill for some years suffering from alzheimers.

There doesn't appear to be a lot written about her - there is an out of print autobiography that I haven't been able to get a copy of. I liked her in everything that she did - there is no one quite like her nowadays.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's a book synopsis:-

First edition of Dawn Langley Simmons's biography of her adoptive mother, Dame Margaret Rutherford. One of this country's most famous and best loved actresses, remembered for such roles as "Madame Arcati" and "Miss Marple", this book opens the door to her private life; her marriage in her 50s to Stringer Davies; her many whims and fancies, and her plethora of comedy roles; but the book also tells of the dark side of Dame Margaret; her recurring melancholia and nervous collapses, and her terrible fear that she would go the way of her own parents whom she had hardly known - the mother who committed suicide, and the father, convicted of the murder of his own father, who spent his last years in an asylum for the criminally insane. Written by her adopted daughter, who - prior to her gender-realignment surgery - had been called Gordon, and brought up as a male child - this is a fascinating book about a fascinating character.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I've read that - sometime in the mid-60s - a Studio corporate suit decided that Goodwin's music for the four films was intrinsically worthless. So the fools destroyed all the master tapes. :mad:
    I've got the theme on 7" by Ron Goodwin from 1960[ish]. It's incorrectly titled Murder She Says

Liked
    0 times
    I've got the theme on 7" by Ron Goodwin from 1960[ish]. It's incorrectly titled Murder She Says
    I had the good fiortune to see Goodwin in concert in the 1990s. As well as being an excellent film composer he was a brilliant racconteur and had the audience enthralled with his tales of the film world.

Liked
    0 times
    I always enjoy watching Margaret Rutherford in the Miss Marple film series. She made the character, I felt more than any other actress that has portrayed Miss Marple.

We have cable and when I see that there is a Miss Marple film with Ms Rutherford on TCM-I switch straight over and watch it.

She is no longer with us, but her spirit lives on in her films. I often wondered what she would have been like to meet in person. The lovely nature she portrayed on screen as Miss Marples made her so endearing to watch.

To me there is nobody else that can portray Miss Marples, and there never will be.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    She's always going to be my favorite Miss Marple, but I am heartened by some of the other fine portrayals. Rutherford's films instill a relish - at least for me - that none of the other performers achieve. I like a lot of other Marple works, Margaret catches my attention.

I am struggling with BLITHE SPIRIT of late because it doesn't follow the pacing or flightiness during the last portion of the film, replacing the tone with a meanness once Margaret's character is no longer on-screen. But that distinction only makes Margaret's contribution even more significant.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've read that - sometime in the mid-60s - a Studio corporate suit decided that Goodwin's music for the four films was intrinsically worthless. So the fools destroyed all the master tapes. :mad:

Just shows that Studio exectives know bugger all.

You can but a re-recorded selection of the Marple films' music on the CD:

MISS MARPLE FILMS/LANCELOT/FORCE TEN FROM NAVARONE ETC (LAB label)
    The CD is available from Amazon at Amazon.co.uk: Miss Marple/Lancelot/Force 10..... [German Import]: Music: Ron Goodwin

The CD liner notes are also great fun, with lots of Danish translation errors - as an example - the director Anthony Asquith is renamed Anthony Asquits and Margaret is called Lady Rutherford!

Liked
    0 times
    I also liked her in "The V.I.P.s", where she won a well-deserved Oscar. She is one of my all-time favorite actresses, and I've enjoyed very much her performances in every role I've had the honor to watch.

Liked
    0 times
    SHe is the only and true "Miss Marple" - I love her since I was a child and watched her with my grandma. In 2005 I visited her grave in Gerrards Cross (Bucks)

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Murder She Said (1961)

I enjoyed watching the chemistry between Margaret Rutherford and James Robertson Justice in this film. Excellent.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    nSHe is the only and true "Miss Marple" - I love her since I was a child and watched her with my grandma. In 2005 I visited her grave in Gerrards Cross (Bucks)
    I agree, Joan Hickson probably got the nearest to the Agatha Christie concept but for good old British value for money entertainment Margaret Rutherford every time.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    In Murder She Said, Joan Hickson - who played Miss Marple years later - appears as Mrs. Kidder.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast