Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah shes one of my all time favorite actresses. The dvds of miss marple are absolutrely superb quality. Theres one part in Murder she said where a very rare diesel goes passed on the railway and if you frame by frame it you can even read its name!

Cheers

Jim

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    SHe is the only and true "Miss Marple" - I love her since I was a child and watched her with my grandma. In 2005 I visited her grave in Gerrards Cross (Bucks)
    I could be wrong, but I thought she was buried in St. Paul's Churchyard, also known as The Actors's Grounds in Covent Garden.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Agatha Christie didn't like Rutherford's interpretation of the role when the films first came out. But at some point she relented a bit and sent the actress a signed copy of one of the novels.

Great little films, with one of the best musical themes EVER by the late Ron Goodwin
    Ron Goodwin was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 during the past 7 days regarding his Murder at the Gallop orchestrations. But can i remember the programme??

If its either Front Row (Radio 4) or Night Waves (Radio 3) the Listen Again thingy may still be downloadable.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Ron Goodwin was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 during the past 7 days regarding his Murder at the Gallop orchestrations. But can i remember the programme??

If its either Front Row (Radio 4) or Night Waves (Radio 3) the Listen Again thingy may still be downloadable.
    It must have been an old interview, he died six years ago.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Theres one part in Murder she said where a very rare diesel goes passed on the railway and if you frame by frame it you can even read its name! Cheers Jim
    I recall this. I wonder whether it was just pure coincidence, or somehow staged?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree, Joan Hickson probably got the nearest to the Agatha Christie concept but for good old British value for money entertainment Margaret Rutherford every time.

Since Agatha Christie invented Miss Marple, surely the actress who came closest to her concept is the true one. People who advocate Margaret Rutherford do so because they (like me) love her. But she plays Margaret Rutherford not Miss Marple.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

Dame Margaret Rutherford (1892 - 1972) - Find A Grave Memorial

(The 149 tribute comments are worth reading)

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Since Agatha Christie invented Miss Marple, surely the actress who came closest to her concept is the true one. People who advocate Margaret Rutherford do so because they (like me) love her. But she plays Margaret Rutherford not Miss Marple.
    Not a new concept and indeed when AC's daughter commented that Ustinov was unlike Poirot PU replied - 'He is now !'.

MR gave a memorable star turn (something she always did), you wouldn't call it acting as such. She was like a stuntman doing the same thing over and over again.

Liked
    23 times
    To get back to the thread title of Margaret Rutherford, here are a couple of memories from my own 1960's paberback movie tie-in collection:

Liked
    23 times

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I suppose it does depend on who is seen in the role first though?

Bit like your favourite DR Who or Sherlock Holmes and dependant on your age at the time.

I loved MR in the films but also enjoy all of Joan Hicksons portrayals as for me she is the Miss Marple from the books, as is David Suchet in Poirot.

I will also watch any Sherlock Holmes but the one I like in the role is Jeremy Brett although I grew up watching the repeats of Basil Rathbone films.

I can see a difference in MR's acting in other films such as Passport to Pimlicoe and as the shoplifter in the Norman Wisdom film, was that trouble in store? Relying on memory isnt always a good idea when on the tablets...so I don't agree that she just played herself.

Mallee

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Margaret Rutherford may not have been the Miss Marple of the novels, but she was a lot of fun to watch. Seeing her and Robert Morley play off of each other in Murder at the Gallop is marvelous. The worst Agatha Christie movie is The Mirror Cracked. It's the only time in an Agatha Christie I was able to spot the murderer long before the movie was over. I like the new Miss Marple. Better than Angela Lansbury and Helen Hayes in American TV movies. Hayes made no effort to do an English accent

Liked
    8 times
    Personally I found Geraldine a little bit 'too positive' or 'aggressive' in the ITV Marple role, maybe not quite the right description. This could have been down to direction though as in one episode with David Warner I thought his ability wasn't being used very effectively (especially in comparison to his role in Hornblower).

I havent seen Julia but will have to catch her episodes at least for comparison.

Mallee

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    4 have been made with Julia so far and there seems no indication that ITV are ever going to show them The three I've seen are very good

Liked
    0 times
    I love Margaret Rutherford although I understand she is not close to the Christie character of the books. I always find it amusing when I read the Marple & Poirot reviews on the IMDB and the Christie fans write essays about how the film is not like the book. Personally, I don't care if the adaptation is true, I just want an entertaining film.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The latest ones were good, but the over-the-top acting of Joan Collins threw that one out of whack.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    I love Margaret Rutherford although I understand she is not close to the Christie character of the books. I always find it amusing when I read the Marple & Poirot reviews on the IMDB and the Christie fans write essays about how the film is not like the book. Personally, I don't care if the adaptation is true, I just want an entertaining film.
    Same here! And that's why Margaret Rutherford was the best Miss Marple, for me. She was wonderful. I really don't like any of the other Miss Marples at all, but that's probably because I don't like the character herself. An irritating old ankle-biter! At least MR brought some humour to her.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I really don't like any of the other Miss Marples at all
    Me niether! MR is the best and the most entertaining.

My favorite is murder most foul, with Margret, Ron Moody and James Bolam starring I can`t ask for much more from a marple film.

xx

Liked
    8 times
    Careful FG, Ron Moody will be asking you to back his play.....

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Careful FG, Ron Moody will be asking you to back his play.....
    Remember September...a rose by any other name would smell...haha

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast