Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    The RT accuses Ron Moody of spoiling the film a little with 'over the top' portryal of the reportary company's leader. Unfair I would say thet the portrayal was accurate for the time and for the production

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The RT accuses Ron Moody of spoiling the film a little with 'over the top' portrayal of the reportary company's leader. Unfair I would say thet the portrayal was accurate for the time and for the production
    The large often hammy performance of the guest star often works well in the Marple films. Robert Morley was superb in, IMHO, in Gallop and Jeffries in Ahoy enhanced that film.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Rick C']

What a surprise readers must have got when opening Murder at the Gallop/After the Funeral, to find Poirot investigating the crime, same goes for Murder Most Foul/Mrs.McGinty's Dead. So maybe she wasn't the best Poirot?

Murder Ahoy, of course was an original screenplay

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i have to say that since i've been reading agatha christie there's only one 'poirot'(david suchet) yet the 'miss marple' mantle is still up for grabs!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    I must say for once that I'm impressed with the selection of Christie-film posters that the US-based 'Moviegoods' and 'Movieposter' sites have for display. "The Alphabet Murders" one does look like an American version, but can anyone distinguish the nationality (US/UK wise) of any of the others?

Liked
    1 times

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Murder She Said is the best of the four Miss Marple films with Margaret Rutherford.

I understand that there was going to be another film but audiences started to dwindle so it was scrapped. Anyone know if that was true?

Liked
    1 times
    Murder She Said is the best of the four Miss Marple films with Margaret Rutherford.

I understand that there was going to be another film but audiences started to dwindle so it was scrapped. Anyone know if that was true?
    Margaret Rutherford and Stringer Davis both appear at the beginning of The Alphabet Murders 1965

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't think it was the best. I prefer Murder at the Gallop and Murder Most Foul. I thought the murderer was rather obvious in Murder She Said. Windthrop in post #92 has another explanation why the series ended when it did.

Liked
    44 times
    I didn't think it was the best. I prefer Murder at the Gallop and Murder Most Foul. I thought the murderer was rather obvious in Murder She Said. Windthrop in post #92 has another explanation why the series ended when it did.
    Gallop is my favorite - Robert Morley was a great comic double act with her IMHO. As I understand it the series was successful but Christie got increasingly dissenchanted with the series as it drifted from her originals. It is just bizarre that the Randall film was an attempt to rectify the situation and win Aggy over

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Watched Murder She Said today.

I'm with those who thought the murderer was obvious. Still, I enjoyed it, mainly for the comedic elements. Margaret Rutherford was great, though it was James Robertson Justice who gave me the biggest laughs. Inimitable.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    I wish Christie had allowed them to make more as there was to be a return to the Marple novels with an adaptation of A Body In The Library.

legend has it...that Christie was absolutely horrified when she visited the set one day , heard loud pop music and found Margaret Rutherford sending up her character and -doing the twist- on the dance floor.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    What a surprise readers must have got when opening Murder at the Gallop/After the Funeral, to find Poirot investigating the crime, same goes for Murder Most Foul/Mrs.McGinty's Dead. So maybe she wasn't the best Poirot?

Murder Ahoy, of course was an original screenplay
    A Murder is Announced was shown (if memory serves) as a two part adaptation, in the Joan Hickson series.

I very much enjoy both the Margaret Rutherford and Joan Hickson versions of Miss Marple - but for different reasons. As others have said, Margaret Rutherford portrayed a wryly amusing Miss Marple, but Joan Hickson (in my opinion) was the character Agatha Christie created.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Murder Ahoy is on this Saturday 1pm FIVE. RT gave it three stars, not so sure about that unless it is two stars for Margaret Rutherford and the added value of a nostalgia trip.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    5 times
    I love all of the Margaret Rutherfords miss marple films she was the best. But saying that I have a lot of respect for Joan Hicson as well very good actress and brings a ditherey element to miss marple. I do watch the others aswell all ok in there own way. One of the funnyest I think is Helen Hays so bird like every ones nana lol

Liked
    0 times
    Murder Ahoy is on this Saturday 1pm FIVE. RT gave it three stars, not so sure about that unless it is two stars for Margaret Rutherford and the added value of a nostalgia trip.
    Hi there, I'm new to this forum so please be kind!

For me one of the factors that mark out Joan Hickson and David Suchet as the very best of a good bunch is the way they both interacted so well with their supporting actors - Suchet with Japp and Hastings in particular - and Joan Hickson with many different detectives (sorry can't recall any of their names!)

Senior Member Country: Romania chuffnobbler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Albatross!

I am a lifelong Agatha Christie fan, as a result of growing up with Joan Hickson on telly in my 80s childhood. She's perfect int he role: managing to fool people into thinking she's a twitter old dear.

Margaret Rutherford is a hoot. She's bliss, luxury and a treat ... but she is not Miss Marple. Agatha was very unhappy that Miss M was being taken so lightly. The fourth of the MR films is not even based on an Agatha story. She got very upset, and said that the producers were asking about making Murder On The Orient express, but she expected to see Miss M driving the train.

The Miss M / Mister Stringer cameo in the otherwise awful The Alphabet Murders really has to be seen to be believed. Mrs Chuff and I cheered.

Seeing what ITV is doing to the various Agatha adaptations at the moment, I would imagine that the great lady is spinning in her grave quick enough to burrow down towards the earth's core. Still, as long as her grandson manages to rake in the shekels ...

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Not the best of the series perhaps but still great fun. With a top notch cast including the much missed Lionel Jeffries doing his wonderful pompous bluster, perfected in the Sellers movies such as Two Way Stretch. Also some expert cameos from the likes of Nicholas Parsons make it a piece of nostalgia to liven up any dull afternoon.

Liked
    44 times
    legend has it...that Christie was absolutely horrified when she visited the set one day , heard loud pop music and found Margaret Rutherford sending up her character and -doing the twist- on the dance floor.
    Christie needed the loot at the time and although she didn't like the films she did like Margaret Rutherford personally. I don't think that MR actually 'sent up' the character so much as give her typical performance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast