Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver! (1968)

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I would like to give this thread a 'bump' from days gone by because it is an oustanding British film, and I am curious as to others' opinions. It was a great success here as well.

I also wonder whatever happened to Shani Wallis? I had never heard of her apart from this, but I assume she must be well-known in Britain with a major role in this film and talent like hers.

There are few musicals that I enjoy - but this is one of my favorite films.
    As has been mentioned on here previously in another thread, Shani was interviewed some time back before the Search For Nancy started. She expressed an interest in being part of the judging process, but, alas, she was never asked, so an opportunity for all us fans to see her on tv again was missed. Shame.

As for the film - it's an absolute classic. I personally regard it as the best British film musical because it has everything you could wish for. Great story, great characters (thanks Mr S!), great sets and fantastic songs, not a bad one amongst them. Ron Moodie is simply outstanding among the wonderful cast and Shani Wallis, Ollie Reed, Mark Lester and Jack Wild are all superb.

Brilliant!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe that there is a song from the stage production which is not in the movie - and that's the Bill Sikes song 'My Name'.

I don't know why it was left out - perhaps Oliver Reed wasn't up to singing/miming it?

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I believe that there is a song from the stage production which is not in the movie - and that's the Bill Sikes song 'My Name'.

I don't know why it was left out - perhaps Oliver Reed wasn't up to singing/miming it?
    Yes, one of my favourite songs. I saw Oliver in London around 1979 and Bill Sikes was played (wonderfully) by Linal Haft, who became better known from the BT adverts with Maureen Lipman. I was disappointed it was omitted from the film.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    One of my all time favourite films par excellance! Forty years ago, Oliver! was a sell out all week at the Plaza, where I worked as the projectionist and I was very impressed with the eight minutes long Who Will Buy? sequence in the film, that occurred right after the play-in music after the intermission. So impressed, in fact, that one day that week, I arrived early at the Plaza; laced up that reel on number one machine; struck up the arc; opened the curtains; set the reel going and went down in the auditorium and sat on the front row as the Who Will Buy? sequence unfolded before me across the Plaza’s 36 feet wide CinemaScope silver screen. It was totally marvelous and I’ll never forget the pure, unadulterated wonder of it. Oliver! was such a hit at the Plaza that we had it back for a further six day run.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I also wonder whatever happened to Shani Wallis? I had never heard of her apart from this, but I assume she must be well-known in Britain with a major role in this film and talent like hers.

Shani`s first love was/is the stage, appearing in 42nd street in the 80s, but she did appear in the soap` the young and the restless` for a while

Sir Olly, it would certainly be interesting if Ollie had sang `my name` in the film. But he must have been saving his voice for `Tommy`

xx

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    "Oliver" was director Lewis Gilbert's biggest regret, the one that got away. He was all set to to direct and was instrumental in getting the ball rolling as a film project, he talks about it in great detail in his autobiography.

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember reading somewhere (although I may have dreamed this) that Laurence Harvey was up for the part of Fagin. What an odd bit of casting that would have been.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I guess Lionel Bart was a one hit wonder, wasn't he? It was a great score, one of the few musicals with a lot of good songs instead of one memorable one you have to wait for while listening to a lot of tuneless crap. Hello Dolly has two good songs, with one of the tunes being plagiarized, and the rest is terrible. Same for Mame.

Liked
    98 times
    Lionel Bart also wrote hit songs for Cliff Richard (Living Doll); Anthony Newley (Do You Mind) and most of Tommy Steele's early hits.

Liked
    98 times
    As far as I know, this single from my extensive record collection was only released by RCA in Japan, where Mark Lester was enormously popular with the cinema-going and record-buying public.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Interesting responses - thanks for the details.

I had assumed that Shani Wallis must be well known in Britain. I came across a reference to a musical of How Green Was My Valley that she appeared in here in NYC in the 60s. It wasn't a hit, apparently, but it's an interesting idea.

Liked
    29 times
    "Oliver" was director Lewis Gilbert's biggest regret, the one that got away. He was all set to to direct and was instrumental in getting the ball rolling as a film project, he talks about it in great detail in his autobiography.
    Carol Reed's direction is so much a part of the sucess of Oliver! that I can't imagine anyone else doing it - it's interesting that someone else was considered first. I will find his autobiography. I always enjoy reading about how films were made and the choices that went into them.

Liked
    29 times
    [center] One of my all time favourite films par excellance! Forty years ago, Oliver! was a sell out all week at the Plaza, where I worked as the projectionist and I was very impressed with the eight minutes long Who Will Buy? sequence in the film, that occurred right after the play-in music after the intermission. So impressed, in fact, that one day that week, I arrived early at the Plaza; laced up that reel on number one machine; struck up the arc; opened the curtains; set the reel going and went down in the auditorium and sat on the front row as the Who Will Buy? sequence unfolded before me across the Plaza�€™s 36 feet wide CinemaScope silver screen. It was totally marvelous and I�€™ll never forget the pure, unadulterated wonder of it. Oliver! was such a hit at the Plaza that we had it back for a further six day run.

Very nice post and I like your account of watching it on screen as a projectionist. What a privilege.

The word 'wonder' exactly captures that scene. It is a very unusual sequence. I don't care very much for big 'numbers' in musicals, but this is like a dream or a vision seen through Oliver's eyes as he starts his new life. I think Carol reed and Onna White are the experts - and wizards - here. It is a very impressive accomplishment and Mark Lester is remarkably well cast.

And thanks for the 'stills'

Liked
    98 times
    Very nice post and I like your account of watching it on screen as a projectionist. What a privilege.

The word 'wonder' exactly captures that scene. It is a very unusual sequence. I don't care very much for big 'numbers' in musicals, but this is like a dream or a vision seen through Oliver's eyes as he starts his new life. I think Carol reed and Onna White are the experts - and wizards - here. It is a very impressive accomplishment and Mark Lester is remarkably well cast.

And thanks for the 'stills'
    Glad you like the film frames, Tim. The Who Will Buy? number must have been a real nightmare to put together, but the choreography and editing were perfect. Okay, so some people have pointed out a few goofs, like the window cleaners wearing late 1960's style trousers and multi-coloured flower power shirts, the window cleaners young boy apprentices wearing modern (1968) shirts and trousers and the window cleaners ladders being made of aluminium instead of wood, but the overall effect of the piece is still totally spellbinding. I remember feeling so proud forty years ago to be showing something as wonderful as Oliver! Oh, yes, and I know that the Japanese Mark Lester single a few posts above is in a British RCA sleeve, but so far, I've not come across a Japanese RCA sleeve for it.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: This scene of Oliver's mother giving birth to him in the workhouse was deleted from the film before its release.

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    As far as I know, this single from my extensive record collection was only released by RCA in Japan, where Mark Lester was enormously popular with the cinema-going and record-buying public.

But his voice was dubbed in the movie as Lester couldn't sing. How did they release a record with his name on?

Liked
    98 times
    But his voice was dubbed in the movie as Lester couldn't sing. How did they release a record with his name on?
    A bit of a mystery there, Dandy. However, the track on the single was lifted from the RCA LP, the songs on which were different "takes" to those used on the film's soundtrack. So it could have been Mark singing on the LP and the single...he was certainly credited on the record labels. I have also seen Mark Lester singles and LP's that were only issued in Japan, so, unless somebody else's singing voice was used for the records, he must have sung on those as well.

Here is a link showing the picture sleeves of some of Mark's Japanese singles and LP's.

http://www.boysoloist.com/artist.asp?VID=482

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Interesting find - thanks!

Liked
    98 times
    Someone has uploaded the entire Who Will Buy? sequence from the film on YouTube, but I haven't pasted in a link to it because whoever uploaded it has done so with the image anamorphically squeezed instead of in its correct widescreen ratio and it just ruins the look of it, with everyone looking like bean poles.

Liked
    0 times
    Ron Moody gives one of cinema's greatest ever performances in this movie. For someone who was far more used to the stage it is astonishing how adept he was at playing to the movie lens.

:-)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast