Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oliver! (1968)

Senior Member Country: England Laura Jesson's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pelam123 View Post
    Georgia Brown and Ron Moody did not get along to say the least during the stage run of Oliver! She blamed him for her not getting the role of Nancy in the film, which he denies.
    Apparently Shirley Bassey threw a hissy-fit when she thought she would get the part in the film owing to having a hit with "As Long As He Needs Me"

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Jesson View Post
    Apparently Shirley Bassey threw a hissy-fit when she thought she would get the part in the film owing to having a hit with "As Long As He Needs Me"
    I must admit it always surprised me Shirl was never cast in a musical, with her camp/theatrical style I would have thought she would have been a natural.
    Last edited by Mr Sloane; 31-03-12 at 05:22 PM.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    Great clip Faginsgirl.
    Ron Moody is a joy, playful, the odd but engaging touch of forgetfulness and hugely entertaining - a show stopper on or off the stage.
    Ha ha yes, a funny man ...`I`m 88...and I`ve got GOUT!`

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane View Post
    I must admit it always surprised me Shirl was never cast in a musical, with her camp/theatrical style I would have thought she would have been a natural.
    Really???

I must admit that I'm in complete agreement with Michael Grade on the subject of Miss Bassey.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Really???

I must admit that I'm in complete agreement with Michael Grade on the subject of Miss Bassey.
    I have no strong feelings on Shirl one way or other but if Carol Channing can conquer Broadway I'm sure Shirley could have.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl View Post
    For Mark O

Thank you Michelle, that's a pic I've not seen before, Princess Margaret was lovely, she was very musical so she would have enjoyed the film immensely..

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    What did Michael Grade say about Shirley Bassey?

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Really???

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    What did Michael Grade say about Shirley Bassey?
    She's performed in front of thousands at the finest venues the world has to offer, but the unofficial Queen of Cardiff - singing legend Dame Shirley Bassey - is booked for a slightly less glamorous appointment on Monday night.

That's because the girl from Tiger Bay is set for a telly savaging - and a trip to the infamous Room 101.

Former Channel 4 supremo and current Camelot chairman Michael Grade , the guest on next week's edition of the BBC show, has picked our Shirl as one of his choices to be sent to Room 101 - the fictional space in George Orwell's novel 1984 which contains people's greatest fears...and Grade will hope to dispatch Dame Shirley by describing how hearing her voice is like "like nails on a blackboard".

At least the diva from the docks will be in familiar company - last year, The Weakest Link presenter Anne Robinson caused a storm when she nominated the entire nation of Wales as a Room 101 entrant.

Asked by host Paul Merton why he chose the voice of many a James Bond blockbuster to be sent to telly oblivion, Grade says: "I find it very threatening, the way she sings on TV.

"She sings in a violent way. I have to leave the room. I just cannot cope.

"For me, it's an irrational fear. It's like nails on a blackboard."

Shown footage of Dame Shirley singing, Grade visibly cowers in his seat and says: "It's just not my cup of tea."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/OUR+SH...DE!-a084834593

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Thanks Narabdela,
    Hilarious - each to their own, I suppose. I have enjoyed Micheal Grade's presentation of shows about Variety and The Palladium on BBC 4 but I am also a hige fan of "Burley Chassis", as other people in fear of her have quipped. There is a kind of animal intensity with Bassey's delivery at times but to describe her voice as "like nails on a blackboard" seems way off the mark. How would Grade react to Cilla Black, I wonder? Bassey is known as a belter of ballads but has more subtlety and control than many give her credit for. Added to that thanks to careful diet, regular yoga and looking after her voice she still sounds and looks amazing in her mid seventies.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Sing along Oliver

Saturday May 5th Royal Festival Hall

During our weekend-long Chorus festival, which celebrates the transformative power of singing together, become part of a 2,000-voice choir to sing-along to this exuberant film version of Lionel Bart's brilliant musical theatre re-imagining of Oliver Twist.

Stuffed with classic songs including 'Consider Yourself', 'Where is Love?', 'Food Glorious Food' and 'As Long As He Needs Me', this unique screening of the massively popular film includes a vocal warm-up led by top voice coach Mary King, prizes for the best fancy dress and pop-up singing urchins.

A multiple Oscar-winner, Oliver! has, for some reason, not been properly recognised for what it is - the last great achievement of Carol Reed's outstanding canon of films, to rank alongside 'Odd Man Out' and 'The Third Man'. In the bicentenary year of Charles Dickens' birth, re-visit this timeless classic in an unforgettably engaging way!

Sing-along Oliver! is produced by Southbank Centre in association with the BFI.

You can warm up for the Saturday with our free Singalong Oliver! choral clubs and family workshop:

Choral Clubs:
    Monday 30 April 6pm
    Tuesday 1 May 6pm
    Wednesday 2 May 6.30pm

Family Workshop:
    Saturday 5 May 4pm
    I'm not sure a film can both be a 'multple Oscar winner' and 'not ... properly recognised'

Liked
    416 times
    Annoyingly for Mr FG, I have the CD, so I shall be singing along at home instead

Junior Member Country: Russian Federation
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a great musical! One of my favorites! Starring Ron Moody and Jack Wild together even starred in a children's film Flight of the Doves (1971),
    I translated it, because it did not exist on Russian.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    For me it's Britain's finest screen musical. Truly outstanding I never tire of watching it.

Liked
    416 times
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 02-10-12 at 11:56 PM.

Liked
    416 times
    Last edited by faginsgirl; 03-10-12 at 12:03 AM.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Not my idea of an east end kind of Nancy. She looked to clean and tidy for Bill Sykes, and you are right fasingirl, I for one, didn't get to the end.
    Neither did I - it set my teeth on edge - who the heck was that ?
    Last edited by Nimuae; 03-10-12 at 08:34 AM.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I had a dream this week that I met Charles Dickens - very vivid and clear. ( )

It made me think of this film again. I still recall seeing it for the first time - what a haunting and moving experience it was.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    And Mary and myself had the pleasure of working on it for a couple of weeks down at Shepperton Studios...Great memories.....

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Nice chat here.

How we made: Mark Lester and Ron Moody on Oliver!
    'Playing Fagin was one of the happiest times of my life. I loved the boys' mischievous minds – I wanted to make them laugh'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...we-made-oliver

In the comments there is a Smudge1, wonder if it is our Smudge

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Nice chat here.

How we made: Mark Lester and Ron Moody on Oliver!
    'Playing Fagin was one of the happiest times of my life. I loved the boys' mischievous minds – I wanted to make them laugh'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...we-made-oliver

In the comments there is a Smudge1, wonder if it is our Smudge

Thanks for that lovely article Freddy

xx

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast