Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver! (1968)

Liked
    0 times
    Wow! I just love it. I could watch it 101 times without getting bored. Anyone else like it?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Wow! I just love it. I could watch it 101 times without getting bored. Anyone else like it?
    This was my very first cinema film as a wee nipper. It's a classic, all round. As I grew slightly older I loved Shani Wallis and good old Ollie Reed was brilliant too.

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Still,IMHO,the greatest of all British musicals,considering the fact it was written by someone who couldn't read or write music. I was reading something about Lionel Bart (I think a new bio is out) and it provided interesting reading. I always thought he preferred the company of ladies. Sorry about that - but Oliver is one of those musicals that ALL songs are memorable and the film version ranks up there with West Side Story as one of the greatest movie adaptations of a musical.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Great film, Shani Wallis is the best thing in it!

Liked
    0 times
    Incredible film.

I just wish the music hadn't been parioded and used on TV so much.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, can I draw your attention to this website;-

Oliver! Much much more than a musical! Home Mark Lester

Tells you all about the film, starts, trivia etc....

Great Musical of its time

Liked
    0 times
    Fantastic film from start-to-finish. Fantastic direction by Carol Reed. Perfect cinematography from Ossie Morris.

Just what did they do that dog to get it to react like that, though?

Liked
    69 times
    Oliver was perhaps the most successful transition of musical theatre to screen for Britain and deservedly so,both in critical and commercial terms. In films,musicals have never been a strongpoint for Britain in regards those based on theatrical works,rather than musicals centred around contemporary pop tunes. Richard Attenborough's excellent Oh What A Lovely War, did little at the box office and Lloyd Webber's musicals maybe the toast of Broadway and the West End,but at the cinemas they fare little.

Maybe there are some musicals who can charge on two fronts,and sometimes it could also reflect on the public's appetite for musicals on film.

Ta Ta

Marky B:)

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    A truly wonderful film. There is a show starting in August/September, The Life and Music of Lionel Bart (I think that's the title). I believe it's on in Hornchurch,Essex, first week in September, not sure where it's on before and after.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    A truly wonderful film. There is a show starting in August/September, The Life and Music of Lionel Bart (I think that's the title). I believe it's on in Hornchurch,Essex, first week in September, not sure where it's on before and after.
    Argh, no. Not hundreds of stage school kids all belting out "Consider yourself"!

That's second only to the horror of the auditions for Annie with hundreds of the little darlings singing "The sun'll come out tomorra" :eek:

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    A wonderful musical and performed so brilliantly by all the leading players. My particular favourites were Ron Moody and Shani Wallis. It was also noteworthy that the film enjoyed such significant international success, gaining six Oscars (including Best Picture and Best Director).

Whilst the list of successful British musicals is unfortunately very small, I've always liked Half A Sixpence very much. Although Tommy Steele is not everyone's cup of tea, I always enjoyed his energy and beaming smile. I also liked Julia Foster as well, before she became better known as Ben Fogle's mum!!

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    As someone who played a part in Oliver in the usual school play (Mr Sowerberry) I particularly note that not all the songs are in the film....Mr Sowerberry's for example!! I think it was called 'That's your funeral".

The fim, however, was excellent

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Oliver! is my all time favourite film and , in my opinion, the best musical ever made!

I first saw Oliver! way back in 1970 at the age of twelve when it was doing the rounds for a second time and my dad took me to see it at the Dominion Tottenham court road here in London.

I was immediately hooked on Jack Wild but the scene that took my breath away was Shani Wallis's haunting rendition of 'As long as he needs me'.

Sends shivers down my spine whenever I see/hear Shani in that scene.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Turner

I've always liked Half A Sixpence very much. Although Tommy Steele is not everyone's cup of tea, I always enjoyed his energy and beaming smile. I also liked Julia Foster as well, before she became better known as Ben Fogle's mum!!

About time it got a R2 release.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    It's still a twice a year watch for me......bless.

Aitch,

DAE
    i don't believe Oliver! can be bested, EVERY single song in the film is top notch and the story, the direction and the performances aren't bad either.

for me, the only British musical that comes close is the magical 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' (funnily enough, the same year - 1968)

Ron Moody and Jack Wild are also great fun in 'Flight Of The Doves' (1971).

Jack Wild is also fun to watch in 'Pufnstuf' (1970) aided by the amazing voice of Mama Cass.

Mark Lester and Jack Wild also appear together in Melody (1970) but i have not yet seen this - it crops up on e-bay on occassion but is quite pricey.

Liked
    0 times
    This film reminds me of Christmas when I was a kid in the 70's. Always reminiscent when I see it on the telly. My son now 14 loves it too. Classic.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    "Oliver!" was one of the first films I saw as a very small boy. Marvelous.

I saw it again a few years ago, and found that it was even better than I had remembered - very unusual. Carroll Reed is, I think, the most under rated great director of any nation. He combined solid craftsmanship with imaginative understanding; he directs this large-scale, complex musical with the same assurance he brought to the "The Third Man" - and the same lack of flash and false dazzle.

The "Who Will Buy?" sequence builds and builds until it is genuinely moving, not just entertaining.

It is interesting that this film is far superior to the stage production. That is rare.

Liked
    0 times
    It's one of my two favourite musicals (the other being SCROOGE (1970 Albert Finney).

Surely one of the greatest movies ever made, OLIVER is the gold standard against which all musicals should be judged!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I would like to give this thread a 'bump' from days gone by because it is an oustanding British film, and I am curious as to others' opinions. It was a great success here as well.

I also wonder whatever happened to Shani Wallis? I had never heard of her apart from this, but I assume she must be well-known in Britain with a major role in this film and talent like hers.

There are few musicals that I enjoy - but this is one of my favorite films.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast