Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    It was made because the Kray twins are a part of British History, but that dosen't mean to say any of us condone the activities these two brutes got up too, it's just a drama, loosely reflecting what went on, like there have been many made about evil persons, in the past couple of years there have even been two TV dramas made about the most evil Woman who ever had the misfortune to live, Myra Hindley.........
    Unfortunately good drama is often only possible when there is conflict. Criminals such as the Krays and Hindley cause such high emotions to be expressed that to dramatise their activities is often the only way for people to objectively try and understand why such things take place.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It actually made me warm to Martin Kemp as he displayed a modicom of acting ability,knowing full well that his brother was already talented- well only if you like Spandau Ballet.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin
    .I think its pitiful a film should be made glorifying the thugary and violence displayed by two notorious southern criminals. Why do we reward them for the prolification of pain and misery by offering a celluloid copy to advertise their exploits? Rather than forgetting them as they fade into incarcerated senility. Let’s remember some nice folks.
    I'm afraid that nice folks don't necessarily make for good films - we'd soon get tired of variations on the theme of Ladies in Lavender.

There's nothing pitiful about a biop of our most notorious gangsters, just like there's nothing pitiful about The Birdman of Alcatraz (Stroud was, after all, a double murderer).

The Krays - whatever you may think of them or what they did - are ingrained in London culture.

Liked
    0 times
    The Krays was a good film, but was dramatised too much in that the Cornell and McVitie murders never occured at the same time.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin
    .I think its pitiful a film should be made glorifying the thugary and violence displayed by two notorious southern criminals. Why do we reward them for the prolification of pain and misery by offering a celluloid copy to advertise their exploits? Rather than forgetting them as they fade into incarcerated senility. Let’s remember some nice folks.
    Well, one could argue why make films about John Dillinger, Jesse James, Bonnie and Clyde or Aileen Wuornos? Or Ned Kelly for that matter.

Because - good or bad - they are part of what makes us what we are.

The purpose of film, to my mind, is story telling in much the way our ancestors sat around a fire and passed on their tales. Some are true, some are parables, some are fantasy. But they all are valuable in passing on ideas, mores and beliefs between each generation.

Having said that, I will now ruin any vestige of credibility I may have had (if any) by saying I loved Spandau Ballet, was a New Romantic and loved the Kemp brothers in this film.

I thought Billie Whitelaw, Tom Bell and the woman who played Aunt Rose were terrific. As for poor old Mr Berkoff - someone needed to put a sedative in his tea. Bless.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
    Well, one could argue why make films about John Dillinger, Jesse James, Bonnie and Clyde or Aileen Wuornos? Or Ned Kelly for that matter.

Because - good or bad - they are part of what makes us what we are.

The purpose of film, to my mind, is story telling in much the way our ancestors sat around a fire and passed on their tales. Some are true, some are parables, some are fantasy. But they all are valuable in passing on ideas, mores and beliefs between each generation.

Having said that, I will now ruin any vestige of credibility I may have had (if any) by saying I loved Spandau Ballet, was a New Romantic and loved the Kemp brothers in this film.

I thought Billie Whitelaw, Tom Bell and the woman who played Aunt Rose were terrific. As for poor old Mr Berkoff - someone needed to put a sedative in his tea. Bless.
    Good post, I agree with you m'Lady.

The reason why the murders were portrayed as happening on the same night was because it made it more dramatic, which is the purpose of a film drama. The film was full of innaccuracies, but captured the essence of what the Krays were all about. Violence and intimidation.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    from what i've read on the crimes, stephen berkoff would've been better cast as jack the hat rather than cornell-although i like tom bell,his portayal of jack was too cowardly-the guy wasn't afraid of the krays going by most accounts and was constantly on amphetamines and purple hearts-which berkoff looked as though he was in his performance!!

i also think that charlie kray had something to offer to the story but (along with the lambrianous etc.) was restricted to a bit part for some reason but on the whole i enjoyed the film-especially the part when martin kemp sticks a cutlass through the 'maltese' gangsters hand and says ''say thank you'',quality violent?comedy moment!!

Liked
    0 times
    Charlie Kray describes it as 'the dreadful film The Krays' in his book. Didn't stop him posing with the Kemps for a photo though.

I quite enjoyed it.

Liked
    0 times
    One of my fav films and the Kemps were perfect in it.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Perhaps Charlie was miffed he wasn't featured as a character!

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    ...very much, anyway! He does appear briefly in odd scenes.

Liked
    0 times
    I've read a lot of Kray books and even weeding out all the crap there is still a very good story to tell. It would be a Godfather length film and not action packed so sadly probably won't be made.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    They could do it as a mini series.

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    The few books I've read about them made the twins no more than a couple of horrible b*****ds who didnt give a toss about anyone. Extreme bully's.The Kemp boys did have a certain look about them even if their acting was'nt perfect. Was'nt perfect but more than good enough to portray a couple of scumbags.

Frame.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frame69
    The few books I've read about them made the twins no more than a couple of horrible b*****ds who didnt give a toss about anyone. Extreme bully's.The Kemp boys did have a certain look about them even if their acting was'nt perfect. Was'nt perfect but more than good enough to portray a couple of scumbags.

Frame.
    i'm just waiting for this to be re-made by guy ritchie with danny dyer and ray winstone playing the twins with a cameo from dave courtenay!

i met one of the kray gang about 20 years ago (chris lambrianou) when he was doing the old 'crime doesn't pay' speech.

Liked
    0 times
    A mini series would indeed be good to see. I would love to write it.

Casting? I wouldnt let Danny Dyer anywhere near the bloody thing. (Nice guy though he is)

I would cast two unknowns and surround them by a cream of British talent.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    it might be better to cast one actor as both twins and "cheat it" - I would imagine the technology is there. In their earlier days, it was very difficult for those that did not know them to tell them apart.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley
    it might be better to cast one actor as both twins and "cheat it" - I would imagine the technology is there. In their earlier days, it was very difficult for those that did not know them to tell them apart.
    i heard a rumour that ray winstone was to play the twins in a film or tv drama that never happened-it must have been a few years ago mind!

Liked
    0 times
    If you liked 'The Krays' check out 'Charlie' staring Luke Goss (of Bros fame) playing Charlie Richardson arch rival of the Krays.

I think he actually pulls it off rather well together with Steven Berkoff, Leslie Grantham and Anita Dobson, I'm sure there will be a few who disagree

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    If you liked 'The Krays' check out 'Charlie' staring Luke Goss (of Bros fame) playing Charlie Richardson arch rival of the Krays.

I think he actually pulls it off rather well together with Steven Berkoff, Leslie Grantham and Anita Dobson, I'm sure there will be a few who disagree
    I think Luke Goss does a pretty good job. Charlie Richardson himself liked it well

enough apparently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast