Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1
    Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,852
    Liked
    10 times
    Special Edition DVD released recently. I love this film - am I the only one?! It features a stellar cast of British actors. Gary and Martin Kemp shine, as do Billie Whitelaw, Jimmy Jewel, Steven Berkoff, Tom Bell. I think everything about it is perfect. Watch it with the commentary - it explains a lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,865
    Liked
    69 times
    I have seen it once and because of lack of oppurtunity I hadn't seen it again. I do remember it used a favourite song of mine Walk Away by Matt Monroe,when the young wife of one of the Krays was in a bad mood (it has been a while since I have seen it). Things haven't fared wll for the Kemp twins - one has disappeared and the other had a stint in Eastenders and is now a furniture salesman.

    Ta Ta

    Marky B

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: Albania
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    289
    Liked
    0 times
    "Love" is probably putting it a bit strongly, but I certainly remember being very pleasantly surprised given the overwhelmingly negative pre-release gossip. And when I rewatched it on DVD a few years ago I thought0it stood up very well against the seemingly endless parade of mostly rubbish late 1990s/early 2000s gangster films.



    Never mind the Kemps, though - what happened to Philip Ridley, whose script was one of the film's major assets? There was a time when he looked like becoming one of our most original film-makers, but after The Reflecting Skin and The Passion of Darkly Noon he seems to have abandoned the cinema altogether in favour of the theatre and assorted literary forms.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,852
    Liked
    10 times
    He wrote a lot of children's books. In the commentary, they mention how good his script was and it's only then I realised it's what really makes the film.



    Marky B - yes that song is used when Reggie is beating up two blokes while his wife is in the car!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    Liked
    0 times
    Philip is still writing children's fiction and for the theatre. Back in our youths we made some amatuer films together - total Hammer film rip-offs. He'd usually play Van Helsing and me the lowly goat herd. I was more into the cinematography, so decided to take the cameo roles. You know, get on, get killed, get off. Phil wanted the meatier roles but also suggested some "script" changes. It was great that he won the Evening Standard Award and wrote the screenplay for The Krays. I'll always hold him to ransom though, I have a hand written half-finished novel SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE CASE OF THE DIAMOND. Watch out, Ginger Nuts, that's my retirement fund.



    And according to the IBDM he has written the screenplay to the TV version of Vincent River which he wrote in 2000 and produced as a play as well.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    34
    Liked
    0 times
    The whole cast are brilliant in their roles, its stylish with graphic violence.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,852
    Liked
    10 times
    Absolutely. Stylish violence is what I like! You'll be laughing for the rest of your life - haha!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    306
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree there

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    When I first saw this movie I really did think I would hate it. Gang violence with popstars in the lead roles who could blame me. However I think the two brothers played their respective parts really well. The violence I didn't think was over the top and was done well in the circumstances of what the true events were reported to be like.

    Wayne

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    306
    Liked
    0 times
    the violence in the movie was realistic.



    the Kemp brothers played the Kray brothers very well and I put both my thumbs up to them!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    306
    Liked
    0 times
    Gary and martin Kemp team up to play the Kray twins it's on itv4 tonight at 22:00











    The Krays (1990)

  12. #12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdlady
    Gary and martin Kemp team up to play the Kray twins it's on itv4 tonight at 22:00


    The Krays (1990)
    A good film made great by the scenes that Billie Whitelaw does



    Steve

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    792
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    A good film made great by the scenes that Billie Whitelaw does



    Steve
    I can agree with you about Billie Whitelaws acting ability but "THE KRAYS" is an abysmal film. Its failings down to Peter Medak the director. He did the same with "LET HIM HAVE IT" 1991. I see by the info on IMBd that he has moved on to the dizzy hights of directing American tv episodes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdlady
    the violence in the movie was realistic.



    the Kemp brothers played the Kray brothers very well and I put both my thumbs up to them!
    It is all about opinions and mine is that the Kemp brothers were misc cast

  15. #15
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    It is all about opinions and mine is that the Kemp brothers were misc cast
    Who do you think could have done it better?

    I thought that some of the early scenes, especially the boxing at the fairground, were superbly done. It really showed the bond, and the struggle, between twins.



    Steve

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Who do you think could have done it better?

    I thought that some of the early scenes, especially the boxing at the fairground, were superbly done. It really showed the bond, and the struggle, between twins.



    Steve


    difficult question bearing in mind that the film is 18 years old. After thought I would go with Chris Ecclestone & Mark Strong who are similar looking.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Prior to seeing the film I thought the Kemps would be a disaster as the twins, but I thought they did OK. For me, the total disaster was Steven Berkoff as George Cornell. IMHO he was bloody awful with his face pulling, his cockernee accent, his shoulder shrugging and his silly walk ..... bad, bad, bad! It was quite a relief when Ronnie shot him.



    Mark Strong was fantastic in The Long Firm, which I enjoyed more than I did The Krays.



    Bats.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,044
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Prior to seeing the film I thought the Kemps would be a disaster as the twins, but I thought they did OK. For me, the total disaster was Steven Berkoff as George Cornell. IMHO he was bloody awful with his face pulling, his cockernee accent, his shoulder shrugging and his silly walk ..... bad, bad, bad! It was quite a relief when Ronnie shot him.



    Mark Strong was fantastic in The Long Firm, which I enjoyed more than I did The Krays.



    Bats.
    Mark Strong,Chris Ecclestone and Daniel Craig all appeared together in???

  19. #19
    Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,652
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Prior to seeing the film I thought the Kemps would be a disaster as the twins, but I thought they did OK. For me, the total disaster was Steven Berkoff as George Cornell. IMHO he was bloody awful with his face pulling, his cockernee accent, his shoulder shrugging and his silly walk ..... bad, bad, bad! It was quite a relief when Ronnie shot him.



    Bats.
    I agree, Berkoff's hysterical histionics are best saved for his stage performances! I thought the performances of the Kemp brothers were pretty good though considering they had very little if no acting experience. Looking at the film now their performances hold up well especially as their more familiar personnas of padded shouldered pop stars with Lady Di hairstyles are long forgotten memories! I think at the time people found it hard to associate the Kemp brothers in the roles of hardened east end gangsters on the basis of their pop star image but I think the boys did well!

  20. #20
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    I agree, Berkoff's hysterical histionics are best saved for his stage performances! I thought the performances of the Kemp brothers were pretty good though considering they had very little if no acting experience. Looking at the film now their performances hold up well especially as their more familiar personnas of padded shouldered pop stars with Lady Di hairstyles are long forgotten memories! I think at the time people found it hard to associate the Kemp brothers in the roles of hardened east end gangsters on the basis of their pop star image but I think the boys did well!
    I aree, but the best performance was given by Billie Whitelaw as their Mum.

    Mind you, I expect no less from her



    Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Krays documentaries
    By Brief Encounter in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-11-14, 12:19 AM
  2. THE KRAYS and THE END with directors in person
    By theuofc in forum Dates for your Diary
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-10, 01:23 AM
  3. Winstone to play the Krays
    By DB7 in forum Latest Cinema Releases
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 29-12-08, 07:22 PM
  4. A Likely Lad (1990)
    By Tom May in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-07, 09:04 PM
  5. The Big Man 1990
    By thirdlady in forum British Films and Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-01-06, 05:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts