Liked
    0 times
    Hi

May i first say a big thanks for letting me come aboard and i hope to be able to take an active part in this fantastic forum...

Can anyone remember (sorry if it`s been raised before) Play for Today, The Price of Coal.

I`m sure there was a couple made way back in the late 70`s entitledMEET THE PEOPLE and BACK TO REALITY.Directed by ken Loach and i think written by barry Hines. Starring famous northern comedians like DOUGIE BROWN, STAN RICHARDS and BOBBY KNUTT. Can remember them vividly when first aired the quality of the two plays in acting, directing and writing. would like to know if these are available anywhere ?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx
    Hi

May i first say a big thanks for letting me come aboard and i hope to be able to take an active part in this fantastic forum...

Can anyone remember (sorry if it`s been raised before) Play for Today, The Price of Coal.

I`m sure there was a couple made way back in the late 70`s entitled MEET THE PEOPLE and BACK TO REALITY. Directed by ken Loach and i think written by barry Hines. Starring famous northern comedians like DOUGIE BROWN, STAN RICHARDS and BOBBY KNUTT. Can remember them vividly when first aired the quality of the two plays in acting, directing and writing. would like to know if these are available anywhere ?

I remember being really impressed by The Price of Coal as a book by Barry Hines. I've never seen the TV version directed by Ken Loach but a quick Google tells me that it was made as two separate parts, like the book was in two halves.

In Meet the People, the townsfolk of the Yorkshire pit village prepared for a visit from Royalty, going around doing silly things like painting the coal white :)

In the appropriately titled Back to Reality, when they all go back to work a disaster in the pits spelled tragedy for everyone in and out of the mines.

Shown in a brace (appropriate word given that Hines wrote The Gamekeeper which was also filmed by Loach) of 75-minute installments, The Price of Coal was broadcast on March 29 and April 5, 1977 in the BBC's Play For Today strand.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx
    Hi

I`m sure there was a couple made way back in the late 70`s entitledMEET THE PEOPLE and BACK TO REALITY.Directed by ken Loach and i think written by barry Hines. Starring famous northern comedians like DOUGIE BROWN, STAN RICHARDS and BOBBY KNUTT. Can remember them vividly when first aired the quality of the two plays in acting, directing and writing. would like to know if these are available anywhere ?

Hi

I have both parts. You can contact me directly mr_j_morris@yahoo.co.uk and we'll have a chat.

J

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    in case anybody has not seen my Miners strike film thread , here it is

anybody help

http://filmdope.com/forums/as...rs-strike.html