Thread: Hidden Agenda

Liked
    0 times
    Ken Loach's John Stalkeresque tale of a mainland detetctive sent over to Northern Ireland to investigate the deaths of two journalists. However, he discovers murky goings on as Maurice Roeves' character - an Army officer - reveals that Harold Wilson's Labour government in the 1970s was the victim of covert operations by the military and the security forces.

Cracking stuff....

GRAEME
    We now know that Wilson's conspiracy theories had more truth in them than anybody would have thought. The more that comes out, the wilder it gets.

This film was dismissed on release by some as the ravings of a far left rabble-rouser - and of course that is all the better to neutralise inconvenient truths - but it is also a very adept political thriller. It would be well worth watching if it were entirely fictional - and unfortunately much of it is totally accurate.

Does make you wonder what Loach would have done if he'd spent more time in conventional genre film-making.

Makes a great double bill with The Wind that Shakes the Barley. If a little depressing from this British viewer's point of view.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I have never seen either of these films, so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

But I wonder: do people here swallow everything that is shown in them, believing that "If Ken Loach says so, then it must be true".

Or do people watch films like these with guarded minds ? Are people aware that Loach would like to manipulate their opinions ?

Just curious.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by oxfam1uk
    I have never seen either of these films, so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

But I wonder: do people here swallow everything that is shown in them, believing that "If Ken Loach says so, then it must be true".

Or do people watch films like these with guarded minds ? Are people aware that Loach would like to manipulate their opinions ?

Just curious.
    As I said - a lot of what was considered conjecture - and pretty wild conjecture at that! - has been proven true with the release of files no longer classified and the memoirs of various players. That there was a coup being plotted in NI involving very senior members of the security forces, the establishment and junior members of the roya family is now fact.

No, one should never simply swallow anything anybody says whole - but when multiple sources come together it starts looking more reasonable.

As far as Barley is concerned: that the Brits made a complete and utter mess of the Irish question in the 20s is hardly controversial! And Loach's criticisms are not reserved only for the British army and politicians - the crazy and self-destructive internicine fighting on the Republican side is the ultimate tragedy.

Liked
    0 times
    Hidden agenda sounds a very though provoking film and it is good that films like these are occasionaly made , there should be more.