Liked
    151 times
    Shyamalan has a sixth sense about Potter film

ONE of Hollywood's leading directors yesterday staked a claim to direct the last of the Harry Potter films, promising to make a darker product with "serious" conflict at its heart.

MNight Shyamalan, director of 1999 box office hit The Sixth Sense, said he wanted to translate the last instalment in the Potter saga to the big screen. JK Rowling is still writing the seventh and final Harry Potter novel, but has revealed that two main characters will die.

Advertisement: JP Research Survey

The Indian-born film director said: "I want to see a serious emotional conflict, like if Ron [Weasley, Harry's best friend] goes to the wrong side. Power has such a double-edged sword. I want the audience to feel that for a moment."

Shyamalan, 35, who has built a reputation on supernaturally-tinged suspense thrillers such as Unbreakable and The Village, said he was haunted by his decision to turn down the chance to shoot the first film, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001), because "the timing didn't work out".

Jason Solomons , a film reviewer, said Shyamalan had a "great chance" of being chosen to direct the last Harry Potter film as he was well-regarded by Warner Bros and had a proven track record in suspense films.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Interesting, but would he forget it is ultimately a film for children (of all ages....)?

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='DB7']Jason Solomons , a film reviewer, said Shyamalan had a "great chance" of being chosen to direct the last Harry Potter film as he was well-regarded by Warner Bros and had a proven track record in suspense films.

Why worry about a track record, they could get a plank of wood to direct it and it would still make a pile of cash (some may argue they have already proven it so). M Night is better than the franchise.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I keep thinking of some SCARY MOVIE- or NAKED GUN-style product, with endless sight gags tossed around the backgrounds of each scene.

"It looks like I picked the wrong day to give up scorcery."

Would Leslie Nielson fill in for Christopher Lee? (Although it'd be terrific to see them together.)

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    He visited the set during the filming of the latest film a couple of weeks ago.

"like if Ron [Weasley, Harry's best friend] goes to the wrong side" says M.

Has he forgotten that the sequel has already been written and the story is not up to him?

Liked
    0 times
    Urgh, god, let's hope he doesn't get it. Apart from The Sixth Sense, MNight whatever's output has been dire.

Liked
    0 times
    Personally, I think M. Night etc could make a good contribution to HP. Now the kids are growing up and darker forces are coming in more and more a darker directing approach wouldn't be tha worst thing. I just hope he doesnt use his usual trick with colour and greyness.