Thread: Things to Come

Liked
    0 times
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/CART/3-/...delete=1093972

New 'Network' release out in september, glad I held back from the DD Video release now as this looks great.

:)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Broadhead
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/CART/3-/...delete=1093972

New 'Network' release out in september, glad I held back from the DD Video release now as this looks great.

:)

Wow! I've heard that this film is so rare. I've never seen it. Cue: "I wonder what the quality's like?" from me.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Quiller']Wow! I've heard that this film is so rare. I've never seen it. Cue: "I wonder what the quality's like?" from me.

Quality should be ok, Network usually have a good reputation for good prints.

Liked
    0 times
    Also listed on the Network site are:

Countess Dracula (Special Edition).

The Chain.

The Medusa Touch.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Viewers in 2006 will probably find Things To Come dull, pretentious and full of preachy speeches - H.G.Wells effectively disowned the finished product of his script. It has its moments - the Blitz four years before the real thing, Ralph Richardson's fuedal warlord and Margaretta Scott as his mistress. What really jolts one is Raymond Massey's black-clad "Wings Over the World" airmen who destroy Richardson's fiefdom - when they appear you'll think "Bloody hell, its the Luftwaffe!". Even more telling is the underground "utopia" which seems to be a fascist state.

It was a failure at the box-office and has only been shown a few times on TV.

D.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    H. G. Wells' son Frank was the art director for the film. On the Network site it states that this is to be a special edition. Perhaps there are interviews with Jack cardiff and matte artist Peter Ellenshaw, perhaps not.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan
    Viewers in 2006 will probably find Things To Come dull, pretentious and full of preachy speeches -

It was a failure at the box-office and has only been shown a few times on TV.

Probably true. But I remember the early days of movies on television when London Films released its Korda collection to ITV. I seem to remember many of them playing on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Then, it was an exciting event to see THINGS TO COME, along with Q PLANES (my favorite), THE FOUR FEATHERS, REMBRANDT, THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII, THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD, and all those other wonderful Kordas...