Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poldark

Liked
    0 times
    Any other fans out there ?

I normally dislike costume /period type dramas but I loved this .

Became the proud owner of a VHS boxed set some years ago ( might treat myself to the DVD set this Christmas . )

I watched it on TV when it was originally shown , but when I got my boxed set , I was working nights shelf stacking in a supermarket ( oh , the glamour ).

As I turned the tins around so that they all faced to the front , I would look forward to getting home & watching Poldark until the early hours ( or until I fell asleep , whichever was the soonest :)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Me me me!

I only saw it first about 5 years ago but I love it. Just got back from Cornwall so have had the dvds out again!

Great name btw - my favourite Poldark character

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    another old thread that i've exhumed!!!

i've watched an episode of poldark for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it-(mostly due to the wainscoted rooms and cornwall setting)so i've bitten the bullet(or should i say musket ball) and bought the series 1 part1 boxset,it was only �9 but i'd be interested in other members views on this series?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Terrific series with lots of fine performances...Angharad Rees, Robin Ellis, Clive Francis,Ralph Bates, Judy Geeson,Jane Wymark, Julie Dawn Cole....

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Currently playing on UKTV History on Freeview.....

Liked
    100 times
    name='cully']Terrific series with lots of fine performances...Angharad Rees, Robin Ellis, Clive Francis,Ralph Bates, Judy Geeson,Jane Wymark, Julie Dawn Cole....

dunno if you know but does ralph bates have a role in 'star wars'? i thought i recognised an actor in the episode i saw and the name ralph bates rings a bell

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    The first series is one of my favorite shows of all time. (Series two is also good, just not as good imo)

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    By Tre, Pol and Pen

Shall ye know all Cornishmen

Liked
    1 times
    Whatever happened to Robin Ellis ?

Liked
    0 times
    Dunno but we watched the series as a family when it was first on, and as soon as it was available on DVD I bought it.....Good Times!

Liked
    1 times
    they don t seem to be making quality TV like Poldark anymore

the BBC replied with a series set in Cornwall too.... just can't think of the name......

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='lovegod']Whatever happened to Robin Ellis ?

He's still working.

LINK: Robin Ellis (I)

LINK: Robin Ellis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here he is with Angharad Rees in 2003.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='lovegod']they don t seem to be making quality TV like Poldark anymore

the BBC replied with a series set in Cornwall too.... just can't think of the name......

The BBC followed up Poldark with Penmarric which was set c1900-1930 and was only 13 episodes. I liked it but it didn't capture the public imagination like Poldark did,

Liked
    255 times
    The later Poldark series with John Bowe similarly failed to catch on.

Liked
    100 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']The BBC followed up Poldark with Penmarric which was set c1900-1930 and was only 13 episodes. I liked it but it didn't capture the public imagination like Poldark did,

i came across 'penmarric' when visiting the bbc shop website,i hadn't heard of it before but may try it!

Liked
    492 times
    name='batman']The later Poldark series with John Bowe similarly failed to catch on.

Wasn't that just a one-off film? It was mostly notable for giving early major roles to Ioan Gruffudd and Kelly Rielly

Liked
    255 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Wasn't that just a one-off film? It was mostly notable for giving early major roles to Ioan Gruffudd and Kelly Rielly

I only watched the one which I thought was a 'pilot' for a new series. It was dire so they probably didn't commission the series.

Liked
    492 times
    I think it might have been a failed pilot. Problem was that they alienated the fans by re-casting the leads though John Bowes and Mel Martin weren't exactly A-list (even ITV a-list!)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I think it might have been a failed pilot. Problem was that they alienated the fans by re-casting the leads though John Bowes and Mel Martin weren't exactly A-list (even ITV a-list!)

I thought everything about it was dire, an elaborate nasty practical joke designed to irritate the people who loved the original. I mean...John Bowe and Mel Martin! Nothing against them as actors but the former is totally unsuitable as a romantic lead and the cuddly Demelza would have, if anything, put on weight with age not become the hollow cheeked Mel. I also recall finding Clowance's accent very funny but can't remember why. Did it come out as Irish??

I tell a lie. The photography was quite good.

The only thing I recall about the fairly enjoyable Penmarric is how beautiful Annabel Leventon was!

Liked
    492 times
    name='cully']

The only thing I recall about the fairly enjoyable Penmarric is how beautiful Annabel Leventon was!

Penmarric was notable for being one of the few costume dramas to have featured a gay regular character (played by Rupert Frazer) although a very repressed one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast