Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zulu (1964)

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Just been announced on Film Four, " Tomorrow at 4:45 Zulu, starring Michael Caine and Stanley Baxter. Next up Clueless."

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    LOL Phil.

I love Zulu. A real boy's own adventure and benefits from some great casting from Stanley Baker and Michael Caine down to all those young theatre actors who'd never been near a film set. Everyone has a chance to make an impact and the battle scenes, pre-CGI, are impressive.

I do like Clueless as well ...

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It's one of my favourites aswell. I've got the double DVD which shows the making of. Because of a tight budget only so many of the cast went over to South Africa to film the outside scenes. All the indoor stuff was done in England.Unlucky if you only had an indoor part.

Liked
    191 times

It's one of my favourites aswell. I've got the double DVD which shows the making of. Because of a tight budget only so many of the cast went over to South Africa to film the outside scenes. All the indoor stuff was done in England.Unlucky if you only had an indoor part.
    LOL you could really sense James Booth's disappointment in that interview - all his scenes were shot in Twickenham!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    LOL you could really sense James Booth's disappointment in that interview - all his scenes were shot in Twickenham!
    IIRC Booth was supposed to go to South Africa but was in a play at the time and could get out of it. All the Hook scenes were re-written so that they could be filmed in the UK. Booth filmed Zulu during the day and acted in the play in the evenings. He was the only major cast member not to go on location.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    IIRC Booth was supposed to go to South Africa but was in a play at the time and could get out of it. All the Hook scenes were re-written so that they could be filmed in the UK. Booth filmed Zulu during the day and acted in the play in the evenings. He was the only major cast member not to go on location.
    A few other members of the cast didn't make the trip to South Africa, Patrick Magee, Paul Daneman, Richard Davies, Denys Graham and Dafydd Havard all remained at Twickenham Studios for their scenes. Booth completed his scenes in about 7 days, his own explanation as to why he never went to South Africa was a purely financial one on the part of the producers. All the studio filming was done after the location shoot in SA was completed and the main cast and crew were back in the UK to pick up more scenes and inserts.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    A few other members of the cast didn't make the trip to South Africa, Patrick Magee, Paul Daneman, Richard Davies, Denys Graham and Dafydd Havard all remained at Twickenham Studios for their scenes. Booth completed his scenes in about 7 days, his own explanation as to why he never went to South Africa was a purely financial one on the part of the producers.
    That lot didn't go because they were the actors who featured in the re-written Hook hospital scenes. What I meant by 'major' cast members were the actors cast in what were originally to be the three leading roles, Booth, Sir Stanley Baker (also the producer) and Michael Caine. In an interview I read a long time ago Booth gave the play story as his reason for not travelling. Perhaps Booth, who apparently resented Michael Caine's 'overnight' success via the film, was making excuses in that interview for his reduced role in proceedings.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    That lot didn't go because they were the actors who featured in the re-written Hook hospital scenes. What I meant by 'major' cast members were the actors cast in what were originally to be the three leading roles, Booth, Sir Stanley Baker (also the producer) and Michael Caine. In an interview I read a long time ago Booth gave the play story as his reason for not travelling. Perhaps Booth, who apparently resented Michael Caine's 'overnight' success via the film, was making excuses in that interview for his reduced role in proceedings.
    Interesting. A bit of jealousy among the cast.

Liked
    77 times
    Sure, just thought I'd mention the others who didn't make the trip. Were the hospital scenes rewritten to accommodate Booth's theatre commitments? I've never heard that before, the scenes as they appear are pretty close to the original story by John Prebble with Hook confined to the hospital, Im not doubting that Booth has said that at some point but I would have thought it a tall order to do a whole days filming from the early hours and then do a stage performance in the evening! Booth was given a three year contract with producer Joseph E Levine when he signed for Zulu, an agreement Booth described later as the worst mistake of his life, Levine didn't really come up with the goods and the contract hindered Booth in accepting other roles.In Sheldon Hall's definitive book on the making of Zulu Booth cites all sorts of financial reasons for not going to SA but doesn't mention a theatre contract keeping him in the UK. Actually I often wonder why Larry Taylor went to SA, I think he was good mates with Baker and Richard Burton, there is one shot of him looking from the window of the hospital which is a location shot otherwise his scenes are all interior and studio bound.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    ZULU was actually filmed in 1963, and passed with cuts as a "U" certificate film by the BBFC on December 17th of that year and released in the spring of 1964. Many people seem to think that because it was released in 1964, then it must have been filmed in 1964. But it wasn't.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    ZULU was actually filmed in 1963, and passed with cuts as a "U" certificate film by the BBFC on December 17th of that year and released in the spring of 1964. Many people seem to think that because it was released in 1964, then it must have been filmed in 1964. But it wasn't.
    That's the case with many films. Most spend a few months being edited so any film that was released in the first half of the year will usually have been filed the previous year - or possibly earlier if it spent a long time being edited.

Scorsese's The Gangs of New York spent a long time being edited, to try to knock it into some sort of sensible shape. They filmed it from August or September 2000 and had finished most of the filming by the end of 2000. But they edited it for so long that it wasn't finally released until December 2002. That's why some people say it was "over edited".

Michael Powell's short film Smith (1939) was made for an ex-servicemen's charity. It had a private première in the Houses of Commons in June 1939. But events caught up with it and when they wanted to give it the full release it was getting close to the start of WWII and the authorities thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to show the problems ex-servicemen were having when they wanted everyone to volunteer for the armed services. It wasn't finally shown to the general public in the UK until October 2004 - over 60 years after it was made

See the PaPAS web site including The Story of Smith, the story of how it was found again after being not just lost but totally unknown for many years

Steve

Liked
    191 times
    Does anyone have exact dates for when Zulu was filmed? I'm trying to establish whether it was before or after the 1963 Broadway stage production of Chips with Everything which featured Gary Bond, who also had a small role in Zulu. As video from Chips has surfaced it would be useful to know which was filmed first. Cheers.

Liked
    77 times
    Does anyone have exact dates for when Zulu was filmed? I'm trying to establish whether it was before or after the 1963 Broadway stage production of Chips with Everything which featured Gary Bond, who also had a small role in Zulu. As video from Chips has surfaced it would be useful to know which was filmed first. Cheers.
    Location filming began on the 28th March 1963 and continued until 26th June. The studio shoot at Twickenham studios took place from 1st July until the 26th July. Gary Bond would have been involved in the location shoot and the studio stuff, he completed his work on the 8th July. As a little aside , Richard Burton recorded his narration at a sound studio in Paris on the 21st September 1963.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Location filming began on the 28th March 1963 and continued until 26th June. The studio shoot at Twickenham studios took place from 1st July until the 26th July. Gary Bond would have been involved in the location shoot and the studio stuff, he completed his work on the 8th July. As a little aside , Richard Burton recorded his narration at a sound studio in Paris on the 21st September 1963.
    Great research there, Chris. Even I didn't know those dates. Very welcome information.

Liked
    191 times
    You're a star - many thanks for this.

Liked
    0 times
    The bluray of this movie really is a joy to behold. All the beads of sweat are there as if we were standing next to the characters on the dark continent. The colours are so vivid. A movie that drips with tension (the prep b4 the final battle really makes the arse tighten!) and boasts a cast that would make any director envious.

:-)

Liked
    191 times
    I am going to get the BluRay of this as soon as I get a player - you've just got my interest!

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    The bluray of this movie really is a joy to behold. All the beads of sweat are there as if we were standing next to the characters on the dark continent. The colours are so vivid. A movie that drips with tension (the prep b4 the final battle really makes the arse tighten!) and boasts a cast that would make any director envious.

:-)
    Agreed, the picture quality is nothing short of stunning.

Interestingly, I've just watched the Blu-Ray of Visconti's "The Leopard" which was also shot in Technirama, again a feast for the eyes.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone tell me?

How many times are the 'Royal Engineers' mentioned throughout the whole film?

Thanks

Jenko

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenko49 View Post
    How many times are the 'Royal Engineers' mentioned throughout the whole film?
    Not as many times as the 24th Regiment of Foot

Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast