Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC's Dracula

Liked
    151 times
    Warren and Suchet lift lid on Dracula for BBC1

The Stage.

Hustle star Marc Warren is to star in the title role of Stewart Harcourt’s new television adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula on BBC1.

David Suchet, will play vampire scholar and Dracula’s nemisis Van Helsing, in the revamped drama. The Corporation has also lined-up a host of the UK’s upcoming talent including The Line of Beauty’s Dan Stevens, Thunderbirds and Doctor Who actress Sophia Myles and Tom Burke, best know for The State of Play.

Timothy Spall’s son Rafe, who is fast making a name for himself with roles in hit urban film Kidulthood and BBC4’s The Chatterley Affair, also stars as solicitor Jonathan Harker and Stephanie Leonidas as his girlfriend Mina.

Julie Gardner, who is head of BBC Wales and executive producer on the show, said: “Stewart Harcourt’s adaptation is a visceral, sexy and bold retelling of Bram Stoker’s classic chiller which will blow the cobwebs off traditional period drama and we’ve brought together a cast of thrilling young talent to bring it to life.?

Filming on the production, which is a Granada Production for BBC1 and will be directed by Bill Eagles, begins later this month.

Fellow executive producer Granada’s Damien Timmer added: “Stewart Harcourt’s extraordinary script introduces some bold new elements and unexpected twists to the Dracula legend. It’s emotionally hugely powerful and genuinely terrifying.?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I wonder how it will compare with the Louis Jourdan version from 1977? I've not seen it since and I was only a nipper at the time, but it was memorable for the Count actually crawling down the exterior wall of the castle and that has always stuck in my mind.

I do hope it's not going to be like the recent version of the Hound of the Baskervilles with Richard E Grant (who I like). That was terrible!

And then there's the Werner Herzog version of the story with Klaus Kinski, Isabelle Adjani and Bruno Ganz. Which is magnificent. And so is the original Nosferatu with Max Schreck. And not forgetting Shadow of the Vampire with an unrecognisable Willem Dafoe. And I must say I enjoyed the film.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Max Schreck's Nosferatu is the best vampire film for me,with Christopher Lee's interperation a close second. (Bela Lugosi was just one joint of ham for me). I remember Louis Jordan's version,and it came over quite well. I also recall the lucky so and so having Judi Bowker drinking his blood from his chest. Louis Jordan had that Gallic charm and looks to make a good Dracula.

Try walking up the 199 steps at Whitby,on a dark stormy night to conjure up thoughts of vampires... .

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Bela Lugosi Ham !!!! Wot? Bela for me will always be the greatest.

I walked up Whitters steps with heavy tripod, 9.5mm cine camera, light meeter & me wife in March just to film from the top. Well worth it for the view, but about time we had a slide installed for coming back down. He.

Liked
    0 times
    The Louis Jourdan version was the closest interpretation to Stoker's original that I've seen. The Jack Palance (who I understand has died recently) film started as if it was going to follow the original plot but veered away from it halfway through.

I think Marc Warren's a very good actor but physically I don't think he suits the part (or at least, how I picture Dracula in my mind's eye). I hope the scriptwriters don't interfere with Stoker's original plot too much.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Nick Dando']I wonder how it will compare with the Louis Jourdan version from 1977? I've not seen it since and I was only a nipper at the time, but it was memorable for the Count actually crawling down the exterior wall of the castle and that has always stuck in my mind.

I do hope it's not going to be like the recent version of the Hound of the Baskervilles with Richard E Grant (who I like). That was terrible!

And then there's the Werner Herzog version of the story with Klaus Kinski, Isabelle Adjani and Bruno Ganz. Which is magnificent. And so is the original Nosferatu with Max Schreck. And not forgetting Shadow of the Vampire with an unrecognisable Willem Dafoe. And I must say I enjoyed the film.

Nick

Is this version available to buy on DVD or VHS at all?

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    name='image45']Is this version available to buy on DVD or VHS at all?

If you are referring to the BBC version, it was brought out on R2 as a BBC title a few years ago, but seems to have been deleted. No doubt you could find a legit used copy on EBay.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='Marky B']

Try walking up the 199 steps at Whitby,on a dark stormy night to conjure up thoughts of vampires... .

Ta Ta

Marky B

...Or through that dark little tunnel that runs partway through the hill from the Cook memorial....

And the little streets with the street signs that creak and squeak in the wind...

Lovely place this time of year.

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']If you are referring to the BBC version, it was brought out on R2 as a BBC title a few years ago, but seems to have been deleted. No doubt you could find a legit used copy on EBay.

Thanks, there is so much available from the BBC, so much wiped and so much not available Odd lot arn't they

Liked
    0 times
    name='smudge']...Or through that dark little tunnel that runs partway through the hill from the Cook memorial....

And the little streets with the street signs that creak and squeak in the wind...

Lovely place this time of year.

SMUDGE

I also found the "Dracula Experience" side-show quite creepy...worth a couple of bob to take a look.

Liked
    0 times
    The BBC version with Louis Jordan, first broadcast in three parts in 1977, is the most faithful to Bram Stoker's book. Great performances from Jordan, and Frank Finlay, Judi Bowker and Susan Penhaligan. I managed to record it when it was shown again about 15 years ago, so it must still be in the BBC archives somewhere, waiting to be released on DVD! We live in hope!

Charlie

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I can just about remember watching this version of Count Dracula on the box which was well done I thought.. It would be nice if it was put out again, but I have seen it kicking around at film events from time to time.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    louis jordan's bbc 'dracula' was released on dvd a few years ago along with peter cushing's bbc 'hound of the baskervilles' and the 1977 bbc 'picture of dorian gray' with peter firth. they were on the bbc educational label. the 'hound' and 'picture' have both since been given a general release so maybe there is hope for the 'dracula' too. i wa lucky enought to get a copy of this dvd and the quality is superb.

the bat.

Liked
    0 times
    Anyone seen the new version of dracula on the BBC, disgruntled viewer needs to discuss

Liked
    0 times
    BBC'S Dracula

Well, have just seen this version and have to say, was disappointed. Have read the comments and did watch Louis Jordan's version many years ago (unfortunately only vaguely remember it) but am sure it was better than this. This was too short and misinterpreted much of the original book. Personally I loved the Gary Oldman version.........no comments on this one I see. Anyway, a big disappointment

Liked
    2 times
    Just watched the new Dracula, verdict as the blessed Eric Morecambe once said "Rubbish".

However, my partners late father was a set designer for Hammer, a few years ago we found one of his work books with drawings for a Christopher Lee Dracula featuring the Counts' boudoire. The comments accompanying the drawing read "Draculas bedroom, largely crimson and gold"

Liked
    0 times
    Angelinespana - totally agree with you, bbc version was awfull glad I am not the only one out there who thinks so

Liked
    0 times
    I too saw this garbage last niwht, I have been interested in Dracula in movies , literature and even artwork for many years now. I have a DVD version of the first BBC version that knocks spots of this new incarnation. Bram Stoker would be spitting feathers at this awful rendition of the story. Warren plays an awful Dracula and the supporting cast is so wooden even poor old Suchet as Van Helsing gets a bum wrap. No Renfield, No baby eating scene with Dracula`s brides, no explore of the castle, no carfax abbey battle, no dracula crawling down the walls of his castle, no wolves......................nothing!! might as well of been an episode of Buffey. The BBC did manage one thing though...............to bastardise a superb novel and miss the chance to create a really good version that should of supassed the first version.....................probably more interested in spending the money on bad Doctor Who episodes which seem to get worse and worse every time I see them.

Give this a wide birth!! you will miss....................nothing!!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='SBOVIS']to bastardise a superb novel
    Oh, come on, it wasn't that good. A brilliant concept and story but the novel went downhill steadily after the early Harker episodes. Once Mina started tugging at her crucifix and Van Helsing was getting religiously maniacal, I was just counting the pages and hoping they got round Europe in less than 80 days...... :

The show was okay but didn't add much, if anything. I thought Mina and Lucy were quite good performances. Lucy had motivation for her yearnings and Mina was not so annoyingly prissy as she is often portrayed. The men were all pretty tedious though. I did think they could have done more with the syphilis: I would have like the Count to cop a dose and see how his nobly pure Transylvanian red cell count coped.......

Liked
    0 times
    This was so far removed from the original novel that apart from one or two of the characters bearing the same names as in Bram Stoker's book it might just as well have been called "Gonorrhea with the wind" in acknowledgement of what happened to the Count's ashes and the venereal disease theme of the show.

I must have my usual gripe about not having been able to hear the dialogue due to mumbling actors and badly balanced intrusive background music and sound effects and add another about the "mosaic" technique of film-making so popular to-day. I watched Dracula with a friend and, as interest waned pretty early on, we started to talk about how many camera shots were employed by film-directors nowadays; as an experiment we tried counting and found that, in the space of less than a minute, fifteen different camera shots had been used in the scene of Dracula which we randomly chose for the test!

I have to say I enjoyed this Dracula much more than the execrable "Van Helsing" which consisted merely of one special effect after another, or the almost as plot-less "Pirates of the Caribbean" but, Oh how I began to long for the Epping Forest settings, the Ruritanian Yokels, the bats on wire and the "cardboard" Dracula of Christopher Lee in the old Hammer efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast