Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Out of interest, was anyone else disappointed with the recent DD Video DVD release of Robert Hartford-Davis' The Sandwich Man?

Why - given the fact that Channel 4 broadcast a lovely 16:9 master some years back - has DD resorted to using one of those aged 4:3 TV prints which they tend to put on their disc as a matter of course?

While it's great that DD dedicates itself to releasing such fine and otherwise difficult to come by movies, it's a great shame that the opportinuty to do it right will now have to wait until their license runs out and someone else picks up the title (maybe Network will inherit it soon and do a good job with it?).

Liked
    151 times
    The Sandwich Man

Think this is from Network.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7'] The Sandwich Man

Think this is from Network.

Here's hoping that Network's edition of this cracking movie is better than DD's poor excuse for a DVD release.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I just hope they don't use the butchered print that was last shown on ITV....

SMUDGE

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Can anyone remember if any of the ITV screenings got it right. I can not find any info on a Channel Four Screening. Can anyone supply this?

Cheers

James

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='Liger']Here's hoping that Network's edition of this cracking movie is better than DD's poor excuse for a DVD release.
    I see network's release is due for the 12th feb,I'll watch with interest.

Just how bad is this dvd anything like the runaway bus abomination?

Liked
    114 times
    name='JamesM']Can anyone remember if any of the ITV screenings got it right. I can not find any info on a Channel Four Screening. Can anyone supply this?

Cheers

James

The full version did appear on the box at least once, as I got a copy on VHS years ago. Sadly can't recall the details and the tape has long since gone to recycling, as Mrs. Smudge bought me the official VHS - and that was some moons ago too...

SMUDGE

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Network will finally release The Sandwich Man in October with a transfer approved by cinematographer Peter Newbrook in the original aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

From the Network release:-

The Sandwich Man - a walking billboard with a human filling, once a common sight in most big cities has a unique vantage point for observing life. This is Horace Quilby's (Michael Bentine) job for Finklebaum and O'Casey - dealers in 'misfit clothing'. Today is no ordinary day for Horace, however. Esmerelda, his racing pigeon, is taking part in the race of her life...THE SANDWICH MAN (U) is finally available on DVD on 6th October 2008, RRP �12.99.

A wonderful, lovable film full of gentle comedy and joyous optimism written by both Bentine and co-director Robert Hartford-Davies, The Sandwich Man features a stellar cast of 1960s British comedy talent; Dora Bryan, Harry H. Corbett, Bernard Cribbins, Diana Dors, Stanley Holloway, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Ron Moody, Terry-Thomas and Norman Wisdom all aid Horace in his odyssey around London.

Special Features

� Brand-new transfer from original film elements

� Commentary with Producer/Cinematographer Peter Newbrook

� Theatrical Trailer

� Image Gallery.

Release Date: 6th October 2008

RRP: �12.99

Total Running Time: 91 mins (approx.)

Screen Ratio: 16:9 full frame/colour

Discs: 1

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Thanks for the info James.......one Actress in this Movie who seems to have 'disappeared' is Anna Quayle, nothing since '94 according to IMDB, I recall her as a Teacher in Grange Hill (and her Domaniatrix role in Plumbers mate!).........anyone know if she's in Theatre/Retired?

Liked
    114 times
    Great news indeed, to find that THE SANDWICH MAN will finally enjoy a decent transfer. The commentary should be interesting; hopefully we will gain more insights into R. Hartford-Davis.

I shall look forward to this as it is one of my favourite films.

Smudge