Thread: The Full Monty

Liked
    0 times
    Thought I had better share my favourite. Choosen as from what I gather they made this on a really tight budget and made it into a roaring success. Good for the lads and lasses, great storyline and great music, I mean who hasn't tried to copy the dance movements?

Wayne

Liked
    0 times
    Loved it!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    The film that put Sheffield on the map.

I was visiting the UK when this film was first released and was amazed how popular it was at the time. There were many cinemas that were showing the "House Full" signs for the first time to this film and I know that they were also taking advanced bookings for people trying to see it.

I wonder what it was that Thirdlady liked about this film? :eek:

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to sound this note but I thought The Full Monty was one of the most over-rated films I've ever seen, scarcely different in plot (if such a trite idea as a group of cash-strapped lads starting-up a striptease act can be called a plot) to a TV play called "The Bare Necessities" which, I believe, preceded The Full Monty.

Perhaps I'm a poor judge though; after enduring about 40 minutes of a broadcast some time ago of another "all-time great " "The Shawshank Redemption" I switched of the glutinous clap-trap and have never wanted to attempt to watch it since!:mad:

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent

I was visiting the UK when this film was first released and was amazed how popular it was at the time. There were many cinemas that were showing the "House Full" signs for the first time to this film and I know that they were also taking advanced bookings for people trying to see it.

I wonder what it was that Thirdlady liked about this film? :eek:

Dave.
    watching the men doing their stuff

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    I can only speak for myself but I'm at that age now where women dress me with their eyes

Freddy

Liked
    151 times
    It's easy to become a film snob but casting my mind back to the first time I watched The Full Monty I really enjoyed it. Robert Carlyle was the star but his character was paper-thin whilst Mark Addy's weight-conscious security guard and Tom Wilkinson's white-collar worker ashamed of unemployment raised the film above the ordinary with some touching scenes. As with Brassed Off it's difficult getting the comedy drama balance correct if the backdrop is unemployment and 80's privitisation.

Liked
    0 times
    I enjoyed the entertainment through and through especially robert carlislie I thought he was brilliant and funny!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Since the film was released and became so popular around the world I've noticed how the saying "Going the full Monty" has caught on and been revitalized in the English language.

I've even heard Americans and Aussies use the term.

Dave.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Since the film was released and became so popular around the world I've noticed how the saying "Going the full Monty" has caught on and been revitalized in the English language.

I've even heard Americans and Aussies use the term.

Dave.

But still nobody is quite sure where the phrase comes from

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='DB7']It's easy to become a film snob but casting my mind back to the first time I watched The Full Monty I really enjoyed it. Robert Carlyle was the star but his character was paper-thin whilst Mark Addy's weight-conscious security guard and Tom Wilkinson's white-collar worker ashamed of unemployment raised the film above the ordinary with some touching scenes. As with Brassed Off it's difficult getting the comedy drama balance correct if the backdrop is unemployment and 80's privitisation.

2 good films imo

Liked
    1 times
    The dancing in the dole office queue................

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Whilst Sheffield Steel is a mere adjunct to history..........

It became such a cliched phenomenon, it did become annoying. The price of success, perhaps. The film and performances are undeniably good and I enjoyed it when I watched it. I've never felt the desire to watch it again however, which is strange; I'm unsure why that should be.

Liked
    0 times
    I have to admit, this is one of my top ten favourite movies too!

Robert Carlyle plays such a wonderful, aloof character, and the setting is fantastic too!

I have purchased another Robert Carlyle movie just recently; Once Upon a Time in the Midlands, if you are interested. It also stars Rhys Ifans, Kathy Bourke and Shirley Henderson (Moaning Myrtle from the Harry Potter movies).

Regards,

DownUnder

Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have never watched this film despite friends telling me it is a throwback to the Ealing Films.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IlllIIllllIIii View Post
    I have never watched this film despite friends telling me it is a throwback to the Ealing Films.
    I can't imagine what connection your friends are seeing to the old Ealing films

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    ^ They're seeing the triumph of the little ordinary man against adversity. They have happy endings.

Liked
    418 times
    ^ They're seeing the triumph of the little ordinary man against adversity. They have happy endings.
    That applies to so many films - like the Norman Wisdom or Charlie Chaplin films

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    ^
    Perhaps they're thinking of a group of little men, as opposed to, a solitary little man. But, as I say, I've never seen it— despite it being such a big, (mostly-British) box-office earner.

Liked
    418 times
    ^
    Perhaps they're thinking of a group of little men, as opposed to, a solitary little man. But, as I say, I've never seen it— despite it being such a big, (mostly-British) box-office earner.
    It was well-known around the world winning an Oscar and many other awards & nominations including a nomination for the Best Foreign Film from the AFI in 1998.
    The little ordinary man/men against adversity was only a small part of it

You should see it. Maybe the people comparing it to Ealing films need to see it as well?

Steve