Thread: The Commitments

Liked
    0 times
    In the Movie The Commitments, Who was the Soul Legend due to appear in their make or break gig.

First time user. Any help appreciated.

Liked
    0 times
    Wilson Pickett.

Liked
    0 times
    The Commitments (1991) That was a really funny story of an up and coming soul band from dublin ireland trying to hit the big time anyone see that?

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    A lovely film ,a real infectious group of nobody actors giving it there best shot,only Colm Meany went on to bigger things ,a honest and funny look at a struggling Dublin band.

As part of the Barrytown trilogy of films,my favourite was "The Snapper" very crude, but possibly better than "The Commitments" but less commercial.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I enjoyed its spate of excellent R&B music, too. Similar to THE FIVE HEARTBEATS, both have plenty of music written in a style that was left on Motown's shelves 20 years prior, unfortunately.

Liked
    0 times
    Colm Meany did really well from the cast, didn't he? Just saw he was in the new Gerard Butler / Jamie Fox film.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    A better sound-track than the original artists! Love the guy in the queue for the auditions who thought it was a queue for drugs... Brilliant!

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The Stars From The Commitments Official Website

No, I mean it. In music nothing is sacred, except 'Benedictus' from Karl Jenkins's The Armed Man.

Liked
    0 times
    I went through a phase of watching this film repeatedly to the point where I wasn't sure if I was anticipating the dialogue or whether the actors, most of whom weren't professional at the time, made it seem that way.

As for Roddy Doyle's trilogy, the last book of the three, The Van is the best IMO, though I haven't seen the TV adaptation. I'm not sure whether it's possible to find it anywhere.

Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen this movie in a really long time, but I remember that I really enjoyed it.

I might have to buy it and watch it again.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pemberton
    A lovely film ,a real infectious group of nobody actors giving it there best shot,only Colm Meany went on to bigger things
    Bronagh Gallagher pops up every now and then (most recently in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes), Maria Doyle Kennedy was in The Tudors as Catherine of Aragon, Angeline Ball is often on TV stuff and Glen Hansard (Outspan) was in Once which was quite successful a couple of years ago but as you say Colm Meaney has done the best out of the cast.

I always thought Robert Arkins might have gone on to do more...

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge
    as you say Colm Meaney has done the best out of the cast.
    But surely he was already an established face among the unknowns in that film?

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon
    But surely he was already an established face among the unknowns in that film?
    He sure was.