Liked
    0 times
    I've heard a rumour that Nigel Kneale's Beasts Anthology has been released on DVD. Can anyone tell me where I can get it from. Is it region 2 (europe, Uk)?

Also, I have a vague memory of seeing a tie-in book for the series when it first came out in the seventies. Can anyone shed any light on to how I could get a copy of that too?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Grey Dalek

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Grey Dalek

Beast is available as it was one of my birthday presents this year. It was great to see this series released on DVD as I hadn’t seen it before and I like Nigel Kneale’s work and anthology series. It’s available from most retailers, but I've put a link in below for Play.com as there about the cheapest at £14.99. I’ve also put a link from the network website which gives a good description of the episodes and the cover art work.

I’ve watched the entire series and was really impressed with all the stories. There executed really well and rely on building tension and have an impressive cast of actors in the episodes Martin Shaw, Patrick Magee, Michael Kitchen and Thorley Walters. One of the nice surprises about the DVD is a single TV play by Kneale a year before Beast called Murrain and is in the same vain. Bernard Lee stars in Murrain and is good as always warning the doctor away from a strange woman’s house. Murrain is shot all on location which adds to the story telling instead of being set bound.

Let me know if you get a copy.

Bob

Shortcut to: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/930822/Beasts_The_Complete_Series/Product.html

Shortcut to: http://www.networkdvd.co.uk/product.php?GROUP_ID=28&PROD_ID=388

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info Bob. I remember watching the series when I was a kid and thoroughly enjoying it. Obviously I was far too young to watch it, but I was fortunate enough to have understanding parents.Since posting to the group this afternoon I've Googled and found it at MovieMail online .co.uk for £15.99. I had a search on play.com with no success, but thanks for the link. I have a vague memory of seeing a paperback tie-in book in my local WH Smiths, but sadly, the pocket money then wouldn't stretch to buying it. I've been looking for a copy ever since. It's a bit like a personal Holy Grail, people I speak to remember seeing it, but don't know where. I've trawelled through countless second hand book shops and web sites. No one can even confirm it exists.If you like Kneales writing, have you read "Tomato Cain and other stories"? They are based on Radio plays he wrote in the late 50's early 60's (I think) and they're well worth a read. If you can get hold of a copy, of course!

All the best,

Grey Dalek.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Have you tried ABE.com? I did a quick search for Nigel Kneale as the author for books located just within the UK. ABE also has the advantage of setting up want lists, so you'll be notified when a bookseller has the title you're looking for in stock.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...=43&prevpage=2

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    Yes I have tried abe.com. There are lots of Nigel Kneale Quatermass books, even the odd copy of Tomato Cain and Other Stories (well worth a read) but no TV tie-in for Beasts. I'm not entirely sure it was ever published - does anyone else know?

Thanks for the help

GreyDalek

Liked
    0 times
    There's no such book according to the British Library catalogue. There was a book published containing scripts of his tv plays but only included 'The Year of the Sex Olympics', 'The Stone Tape' and 'The Road'. There was no indication that a tv tie-in was published with another author adapting the Kneale scripts either unfortunately.

Liked
    0 times
    Beasts is available from Play.com for £14.99 - it's where I normally get most of my stuff from. You were looking at the UK site and not their International one?

I remember watching it at the time and enjoying it - made quite an impression on me.

Regards,

Barry

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks AMP and Barrington Bond.

AMP - You've finally answered a question that has long beed on my mind. The memory DOES cheat. I've obviously got confused with my teenage memories of WH Smiths and another TV tie-in. I wonder what it was?

I've taken delivery of the Beasts DVD, but haven't had time to sit down and watch it.

Thanks to all the posters who took time out to answer my question.

Cheers !

Grey Dalek.