Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Formby

Liked
    0 times
    Looking for George Formby proggies if anybody can help tv appearances,documentaries etc. I have the "Best of British" and " The Friday show" (16th December 1960 broadcast) and will hopefully have qiute a few of his movies soon, so its mostly tv stuff i'm looking for and any cinema interviews.

I have a sizeable colection of tv shows of all sorts colected over 25 years or more so should have something to give back to those who can help.

Liked
    0 times
    I have now got an excelllent copy of The South Bank Show George Formby, but I am still looking for the 40 Minutes and any other documentaries, tv appearances,interviews,public appearances etc etc if any nice folk can help please...

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    I have an off-air recording of "George on George", a radio documentary about George Harrison's life-long love of the works of George Formby. It's about 30 minutes long and was broadcast in 2004 and repeated in 2005.

Here is what appears on the "Above The Title" production company's website.

George Formby was born George Hoy Booth on 26th May 1904. This programme celebrates the centenary of the birth of the Lancashire entertainer, who attracted a huge, devoted and diverse following. Among them was George Harrison, who listeners will hear for the first time in conversation with Russell Davies, speaking with passion about his hero, the man with the ukulele.

Producer: David Perry

Presenter: Russell Davies

Broadcast:

25th May (Repeated 9th June 2005)

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    If you keep an eye on the auction halls on the net you will see just about anything of George on sale. I also have much on George as been a fan since childhood. Regards

Liked
    0 times
    Yes Thanx Mr Pastry,

I'm making progress and now have the Southbank show and the 1967 Gary Marsh documentary to add to my collection of Formby stuff I am extremely hopeful of getting the Forty Minutes documentary and the Eddie Waring programme soon too.

My lifelong fascination with Formby was awakened a couple of weeks ago when whilst doing a swap for some unrelated tv programmes I was given the wonderful surprise addition of "The Friday Show" on a disc. Until then I had no idea that such an amazing programme existed and it has wetted my appetite to seek out as many recordings of Formby as I can find. Yes via that well known auction site I have obtained some very acceptable dvd's of 19 of his movies. It is such a pity and rather difficult to understand why an enterprising dvd company hasnt officialy released the 21 of his movies that are known to be in existence ( apparently a 22nd one is missing) they could issue them in a boxset with a cluster of the various documentaries and footage of his numerous other filmed appearances as extras and it would be sure to sell like hot cakes. Formby is timeless and his films captured his cheerful brilliance and warmth and his unforgetable ukelele songs like no other star was able to convey via the medium of film ( An interesting little fact I have picked up on my journey so far is that apparently ukelele is an Hawaillan word "uke" means flea and "Lele" means dance so the word ukelele means " Dancing Flea" how wonderful ha ha).

If anybody has any George Formby recordings docos,tv appearances,filmed appearances etc please do drop me a line via my message box.

I wonder did he do many radio shows and are there any of his radio shows in existence and available anywhere ?

I have qiute a collection of tv and radio programmes in my collection of tv and radio shows of all descriptions gathered over many years to swap from so am almost bound to have something to interest you if any Formby fans can help me in my quest.

DAE
    hi,

i would be grateful if anyone could send me a copy of his tv stuff, particularly the Garry Marsh documentary. i will either pay or trade.

also, can someone tell me what the 21st or even 22nd films are - i thought i had all 20 - but now it appears there are more!

Liked
    0 times
    Soutar I have just sent you a private message,

Liked
    0 times
    DAE.

The missing film is a silent horse racing drama called "By the shortest of heads" with George just ten years old in it. Playing his real life occupation at the time a jockey.

This link at the excellent George Formby society website tells more.

By The Shortest Of Heads

Liked
    0 times
    DAE

The George Formby Cavalcade is apparently just a compilation of George's musical numbers from previous films so isnt realy a proper film in its own right so thats probably the one your thinking of.

If you are interested in trades Leave your email address in my private message box and I will come back to you.

Liked
    4 times
    I have Ukelele Man on DVD and also Looking back at George. Two very good docs. Somewhere I have a DVD of Formbys home movies.

Liked
    0 times
    Mr Pastry those are interesting.

I have just replied to your message about the Stewart Granger Sherlock movie if you are interested in trading stuff then just write to me at my email address given in my reply.

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']I have Ukelele Man on DVD and also Looking back at George. Two very good docs. Somewhere I have a DVD of Formbys home movies.

So many fans, so few can spell... Sorry, but once a sub-editor, always a sub-editor!

Liked
    0 times
    Its been interesting discussing things,but I would be grateful if any Formby collectors who can seriously help me with my quest would make contact via the private messaging system. I have been collecting tv shows and radio plays almost since the dawn of time so ought to be able to give you a tv programme to tickle your fancy from my sizeable collection on dvdr.

Liked
    0 times
    I have now added "Remembering George" the extended version of "The Friday show (1960) introduced by Alan Randall and "The Ukulele man" the 1971 programme introduced by Eddie Waring to my collection, but I am still interested in any other recordings of Formby from tv shows and his numerous appearances that were filmed should anybody have any.

If you have any such programmes please leave an email I can contact you at via the private messaging system on this board.

Thanx everybody who has helped so far......

Liked
    4 times
    We aint got time to spell! eeeee its turned out nice again..

Liked
    4 times
    I am looking to swap my DVD of the George in Civvy Street cinema trailer film + Footage of George on the set filming the movie etc, for a DVD of Atlantic Showboat. Any takers??

Liked
    0 times
    Thanx to the very kind Veronica Hitchcock for helping me out with the Formby Southbank show and Forty minutes (Wow these are great proggies!) I have also now obtained the 1967 Garry Marsh and the 1971 Eddie Waring docos plus the extended Friday show (1960) with intro by Alan Randall and lots of footage of George performing for troops during ww2 and other appearances.

I am still looking for any radio docos/shows George made that are in existence and any tv appearances George made I believe he did do a few in the fifties, and any filmed performances of him that I havent already got.(I have the George on George doco about George Harisons fascination with Formby)

If you can help please contact me via the private messaging facility listing what you have with your email address..Only those giving there email address to write back to will recieve my response

PS..Try my unique music and poetry videos at youtube...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Liked
    0 times
    Anybody got the Collectors Lot in which a George Formby Collector was featured if you have and are willing to help me with a copy in exchange for something from my mega collection of tv programmes ad-infinitum please leave me a message with your contact email address via the private messaging facility.

Its turned out nice again ent it

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Does anyone have the Formby show in which he appears with Petula Clark? 1957?

Liked
    0 times
    Still looking for the Formby Collectors Lot (and other editions of collectors Lot that has subjects that interest me) plus any Formby Max Miller stuff I havent already got if anyone has any..I have one of the largest collections of tv shows on all manner of subjects in Christendom so contact me via a pm if you have a list and I will reply with my email address

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast