Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times

VCI has announced an April 28th release date for The British Cinema Collection, Vol. 2. This follow up to last September's Vol. 1 will contain: Our Girl Friday (1953), Dentist in the Chair (1960), Runaway Bus (1954), Carry on Admiral (1957) & Time of His Life (1955).

Our Girl Friday (1953, 88 min.) - Color

Three men and Joan Collins shipwrecked on a desert island!

Dentist in the Chair (1960, 84 min.)

Two goofy dental students are tricked into selling stolen dental equipment.

Runaway Bus (1954, 78 min.)

When heavy fog prevents all aircraft from leaving London airport, a group of passengers take an airline bus to get them to an alternative airport.

Carry on Admiral (1957, 83 min.)

Two friends get drunk and decide to switch identities. One is a public relations executive and the other is a captain of a ship.

Time of His Life (1955, 74 min.)

Richard Hearne is an ex-con father of a very proper British lady (Ellen Pollock). She keeps him locked in the attic so he won�t wreak havoc on her daughter�s birthday party. But he gets out... and wreaks havoc.

I wonder if this will produced a better quality DVD of Runaway Bus.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    hi, what was in vol. 1? the reason i ask is this "stuff"!!! is right up my street! absolute heaven!!great movies, regards bart

Liked
    0 times

Product Description

SIEGE OF SIDNEY: The dramatization of true events sets the stage for this drama. The date is 1911 and a standoff is sparked between Russian anarchists and police officers. The young woman trapped in the middle thinks back to the events that led up to the siege with unpleasant memories. Violence and flashbacks to the events provide the tension to sustain the viewer to stay till the end! THE FRIGHTENED MAN: Charles Victor, the owner of a small furniture & antique shop uses extra cash from handling stolen good to put his son through Oxford. However, the son gets himself kicked out and comes home to sponge off the old man. When Victor s savings are depleted, the son wants more and gets himself involved with some heavy duty bad guys. Tragedy is the name of the game in this one. CRIMES AT THE DARK HOUSE: When lady luck smiles sometimes, it doesn t last! The inheritance of a large estate leads to murder, when a madman kills the recepient only to gain entrance to the estate so that he can murder his enemies. HOODED TERROR: Made on a low budget, this drama thriller is both classy & suspenseful. The house of horrors has plenty for the horror fan to enjoy. This restoration is a must for horror fans! GIRL IN THE NEWS: The perfect plot! An unsuspecting nurse, once acquitted of murder, is hired as a nurse for the wheelchair-bound Mr. Bentley. This falls into the plans of Mrs. Bentley and the butler lovers plotting to set Ms. Graham up when Mr. Bentley is found dead. TREAD SOFTLY STRANGER: Diana Dors plays Calico, the sexy vamp (or tramp?) and Terence Morgan, the staid little office worker and love interest of Calico. Things heat up when the shady but handsome brother arrives from London. Instant attraction strikes between Calico & the brother making her plan of theft take off.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    At last an official release of Richard Hearne as Mr Pastry in The time of his life - I'll be buying the boxset just for that!

Mike (MrT)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    vol.1 looks tasty too!! thanks for the info regards bart

Liked
    0 times
    name='bart']vol.1 looks tasty too!! thanks for the info regards bart

If I'm not mistaken, I believe The Siege of Sidney Street was presented in pan & scan format on that DVD set ... it was filmed in CinemaScope. Because they couldn't even get a film in it's proper aspect ratio right, I'm not holding out too much hope that any kind of restoration will have been done on The Runaway Bus.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Able Abel']If I'm not mistaken, I believe The Siege of Sidney Street was presented in pan & scan format on that DVD set ... it was filmed in CinemaScope. Because they couldn't even get a film in it's proper aspect ratio right, I'm not holding out too much hope that any kind of restoration will have been done on The Runaway Bus.

Judging by the reviews on Amazon for the first volume, you may well be right!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Joenoir']Judging by the reviews on Amazon for the first volume, you may well be right!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I bought Vol 1 sight unseen and it's full of very inferior prints. This is a real budget label. I'm not about to spring for Vol 2 until I see some reviews that talk about the quality of these films.

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Likewise i'm going to wait till someone else has reviewed it

Liked
    2 times
    The Runaway Bus is on TCM Canada in May and I'm betting this print will be superior to this DVD release - at least if the previous UK DVD release is anything to go by. Let's hope the TCM Canada print includes the telephone box scene cut out of the official DVD releases (yet included in the Channel 4 showing).

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Let's hope so. More worth having that!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Joenoir']

VCI has announced an April 28th release date for The British Cinema Collection, Vol. 2. This follow up to last September's Vol. 1 will contain: Our Girl Friday (1953), Dentist in the Chair (1960), Runaway Bus (1954), Carry on Admiral (1957) & Time of His Life (1955).

Our Girl Friday (1953, 88 min.) - Color

Three men and Joan Collins shipwrecked on a desert island!

Dentist in the Chair (1960, 84 min.)

Two goofy dental students are tricked into selling stolen dental equipment.

Runaway Bus (1954, 78 min.)

When heavy fog prevents all aircraft from leaving London airport, a group of passengers take an airline bus to get them to an alternative airport.

Carry on Admiral (1957, 83 min.)

Two friends get drunk and decide to switch identities. One is a public relations executive and the other is a captain of a ship.

Time of His Life (1955, 74 min.)

Richard Hearne is an ex-con father of a very proper British lady (Ellen Pollock). She keeps him locked in the attic so he won�t wreak havoc on her daughter�s birthday party. But he gets out... and wreaks havoc.

I wonder if this will produced a better quality DVD of Runaway Bus.

Well according to Mike (Mr. T) it is a better quality DVD and you do get Maxwell Reed's ex-wife as well, that could be considered a bargain!

Liked
    0 times
    name='crunchie']The Runaway Bus is on TCM Canada in May and I'm betting this print will be superior to this DVD release - at least if the previous UK DVD release is anything to go by. Let's hope the TCM Canada print includes the telephone box scene cut out of the official DVD releases (yet included in the Channel 4 showing).

I live in Canada, and recorded a copy of 'The Runaway Bus', when it ran on TCM, and it's not only very clean and crisp, but if memory serves, it also included the Frankie Howerd/phonebooth scene. You can always trust Turner to run a decent print, and this was no exception.

Liked
    2 times
    Hi Scorpio1156 - a friend of mine recorded last month's airing of this film from TCM Canada but unfortunately - like every commercial DVD released so far - the telephone box scene (13 minutes in) was edited out. Thankfully I already have an excellent uncut print from UK channel Carlton Cinema which will suffice until someone finally releases a good quality, unbutchered print onto DVD.

Liked
    0 times
    name='crunchie']Hi Scorpio1156 - a friend of mine recorded last month's airing of this film from TCM Canada but unfortunately - like every commercial DVD released so far - the telephone box scene (13 minutes in) was edited out. Thankfully I already have an excellent uncut print from UK channel Carlton Cinema which will suffice until someone finally releases a good quality, unbutchered print onto DVD.

Hi Crunchie--you're right, I just checked my copy, and the scene's not there.

It's the same with music--when they transfer to CD, the quality's only as good as the transfer source they chose to use, and unfortunately, sometimes they just don't give a damn what they use.

Liked
    0 times
    DVD Talk review of British Cinema Vol 2 (Our Girl Friday / Dentist in the Chair / The Runaway Bus / Carry on Admiral / The Time of His Life) is here. Snippet...

"...The good news is that the best film of the bunch, The Runaway Bus doesn't suffer too terribly from its less-than stellar transfer, but everything here is definitely sub-par. Our Girl Friday looks like a very old transfer of inferior elements, a transfer not much better than a PD release. There's terrible ghosting, scratches, tepid color, and the film element sourced is even warped at one point, pulsating in and out of focus. Our Girl Friday includes a Spanish audio track.

"The Time of His Life and Dentist in the Chair should be 16:9 enhanced widescreen at 1.66:1 but instead are 4:3 full frame sourced from splice-filled prints. The cropping of Carry on Admiral is discussed above. Two of the films are also short: Dentist in the Chair has a listed running time of 84 minutes but here runs 75; Carry on Admiral is supposed to be 83 minutes but runs 78..."

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    I've just received my DVD of this from Simply H E having been a fan of this little gem over many years. What a disappointment. It has be sourced from a very inferior copy which has been mutilated, with scratches, scratched out standard dots and picture quality which you'd expect from 'Movies for Men'. It looks like it's been projected on white cardboard and videod.

It's been produced from the 'Pickwick' stable so I expected to see a first class quality print. VERY,VERY UNHAPPY

Senior Member Country: England AdobeFlats's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a lot of negativity on the Amazon review boards about this outlet.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='AdobeFlats']There is a lot of negativity on the Amazon review boards about this outlet.
    A retailer allowing people to speak ill of a rival? How unusual

Steve

Senior Member Country: England AdobeFlats's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by earlb View Post
    I've just received my DVD of this from Simply H E having been a fan of this little gem over many years. What a disappointment. It has be sourced from a very inferior copy which has been mutilated, with scratches, scratched out standard dots and picture quality which you'd expect from 'Movies for Men'. It looks like it's been projected on white cardboard and videod.

It's been produced from the 'Pickwick' stable so I expected to see a first class quality print. VERY,VERY UNHAPPY
    I've just watched this DVD having recently bought it for a couple of quid. I remember watching it years ago, and sometime after reading that FH-in-the-Telephone Box was done to extend the length to qualify for U.S. release or something. I too am disapointed. There's no FH-in-TB in the film, and frankly the print is awful. You would think with all this digital technology they could release something better than this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast