Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Some time ago i seem to remember that during the making of a film, can't remember the genre that there was an oustanding amount of deaths and accidents amongst the crew....Any ideas ???

C/U The Worm....

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for that DB7....interesting reading...

C/U The Worm

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Twilight Zone the Movie ? ,comes to mind with the death of amongst others on set the actor Vic Morrow

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

Interesting reading, but is it true?

I can't see any other references to the story except others that quote this same article almost word for word.

If it was true I'd expect it to be mentioned somewhere on the IMDb, Wikipedia or even snopes.com

Steve

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Allegedly, and I use the word carefully, two Italian extras died - drowned - making the sea battle sequence for the Ramon Novarro version of Ben Hur...

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Interesting reading, but is it true?
    The 66.km from Ommen car crash is true and was in a recent documentary.

The Omen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Dont know about deaths in the Omen but the script writer for Wicker Man (latest version) should be strung up. Why try to remake perfection.......

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    The Conquerer which starred John Wayne and Susan Hayward,and was directed by Dick Powell. It was the story of Genghis Kahn and a romantic interlude in his life ("This Tartar woman is for me and my blood says 'Take her'"0. It was filmed in Utah's Escalante Desert and three local mountains were renamed Mounts Hughes (Howard Hughes,the producer),Powell and Wayne. The desert has been used for atomic bomb tests and twenty five years after the film was made (1955),questions had been asked when several members of the cast and crew died from cancer,including Wayne,Hayward and Powell.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    The 66.km from Ommen car crash is true and was in a recent documentary.

The Omen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But that says that the members of the crew survived the crash.

Steve (the cynic)

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Possibly From Russia With Love? One actor committing suicide during production and I think at least one technician was severely injured during the filming of a helicopter sequence.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe the film 'The Misfits' (1961) suffered many problems and bad luck during it's making. Some said the production was "jinxed".

It also happened to be the last released film for Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe who both died soon after the making of the film.

Dave.

Liked
    1 times
    the man who haunted himself also suffered crew deaths

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I remember filming at Pinewood ????? and after work went into the Pinewood bar for a couple of pints with some of the crew.

Half an hour into it and Mike ??? the grip dropped dead at the bar. (heart attack).

Very sad news then but after about a week the jokes started.

''He always did that when it was he's round''

''I think he was alergic to mahogany''

Oh how quickly we're forgotten...

Aitch,

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='Harbottle']Possibly From Russia With Love? One actor committing suicide during production and I think at least one technician was severely injured during the filming of a helicopter sequence.

Pedro Armendariz (Kerim Bey) shot himself shortly after finishing his role. He had terminal cancer - I THINK he kept it secret from the 007 team whilst he was filming. He shot himself in his hospital bed IIRC.

Pedro Armendariz Jr. got a 007 job subsequently, as the President(e) in LICENCE TO KILL.

The helicopter accident you refer to is, I think, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, where cameraman Johnny Jordan lost a leg when two copters got too close and said limb was caught in a rotor. Jordan subsequently died when he was pitched out of a Mitchell bomber whilst filming CATCH-22.

SMUDGE

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    There were 27 deaths during the making of The Viking (1931) including the director and cinemtographer.

Trivia for The Viking (1931)

as documented in "White Thunder"

DVD review of White Thunder - DVD Town

Liked
    1 times
    the poltergiest movies also suffered deaths

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Marky B']The Conquerer which starred John Wayne and Susan Hayward,and was directed by Dick Powell. It was the story of Genghis Kahn and a romantic interlude in his life ("This Tartar woman is for me and my blood says 'Take her'"0. It was filmed in Utah's Escalante Desert and three local mountains were renamed Mounts Hughes (Howard Hughes,the producer),Powell and Wayne. The desert has been used for atomic bomb tests and twenty five years after the film was made (1955),questions had been asked when several members of the cast and crew died from cancer,including Wayne,Hayward and Powell.

Ta Ta

Marky B

I was reading a piece about 'The Conqueror' (1956) just the other day. The film was shot just 137 miles from an atomic test site at Yucca Flat, Nevada.

It was calculated that 91 of the 220 cast and crew members had later been diagnosed with cancer and about half of those had died.

That is a huge number.

John Wayne died of cancer in 1979, Dick Powell from stomach cancer in 1963 and Susan Hayward died from brain tumors in 1975. All three had died before the truth had been revealed about the US Atomic Testing in the area.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Why am I reading this thread and thinking it was a shame Hugh Grant was never considered for the lead in "THE CROW" 1994.

Liked
    0 times
    speak of devil! it just so happened that I recently saw a June Alyson interview (I really can't remember when, but she was adamant that Dick Powell (her husband) died from cigarettes-words to the effect of, "he wouldnt give them up, quit smoking," and so forth.

I remember thinking the same thing, that Powell along w/Susan Hayward, John Wayne and Pedro Armandariz all died from cancer incurred while making, "the Conqueror."

regards, Donauwaelzer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast