Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Hell

Liked
    151 times
    Worst ever TV shows named

By Tom Teodorczuk, Evening Standard

Most of us spend too much time watching dreadful television programmes. Now, the Radio Times reveals a "definitive" list of the 50 worst shows of all time.

The list is led by Keith Chegwin but Ross Kemp, Prince Edward and Loyd Grossman are all likely to be embarrassed.

Nude game show Naked Jungle featured hyperactive Cheggers leaping around a jungle set wearing nothing but a pith helmet.

Proving there's no accounting for public taste, Naked Jungle was also Channel Five's highest-rated entertainment programme of 2000, pulling in two million viewers.

The list has been compiled by TV expert John Naughton. He says: "The home-grown programmes I've picked here all represent moments when television went that extra mile to create something memorably rotten - whether it was an inspirationally-flawed concept, a supremely botched execution, or it suffered from an unusually irritating presenter."

His list contains some star names. Emma Thompson, French and Saunders and Sir Alastair Burnet are all named and shamed for low-grade television exploits.

1. Naked Jungle (Five, 2000) Gameshow with nude Keith Chegwin.

2. Minipops (C4, 1983) Music videos with children in make-up.

3. Triangle (BBC1, 1981-83) Soap opera about a ferry. And Kate O'Mara.

4. Quickfire Balls (Avago Channel 2006) Bingo-style gameshow.

5. Annie's Bar (C4 1996) Dire soap set in Parliament watering hole. A Prince Edward production.

6. Wright Here, Wright Now (BBC1 2002) Ian Wright: great frontman for Arsenal, not for a music/chat show.

7. Love Thy Neighbour (ITV 1972-76) "Comedy" about black couple living next to white bigot.

8. Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends(C4 1984-91) Ringo Starr's narration "nauseating".

9. Through The Keyhole (BBC1 1983) Loyd Grossman in "celebrity" homes.

10. A Year In Provence (BBC1 1993) "Disastrous" Peter Mayle adaptation.

11. Heil Honey I'm Home!! (BSB Galaxy 1990) Sitcom about Hitler, Eva Braun and a Jewish couple.

12. Black And White Minstrel Show

(BBC1 1958-78) Initially popular but eventually scrapped.

13. The Borgias (BBC2 1981) Historical blockbuster flops.

14. The Good Old Days (BBC 1953-83) music hall acts in Leeds.

15. Breakfast Time (BBC1 1983-89) Russell Grant, Fern Britton, David Icke.

16. Thompson (BBC1 1988) Emma Thompson tries stand-up.

17. OTT (ITV 1982) Tiswas spin-off.

18. George And Mildred (ITV 1976-79) Man About The House spin-off.

19. Dream Team (Sky One 1997-2006) Football soap.

20. Ross Kemp: Alive In Alaska (BBC1 1999) Actor swaps Albert Square for Alaskan bears.

21. Kirsty's Home Videos (Sky 1 2000-04) Gallacher's show dubbed "You've Been Framed With An Abso".

22. Clive Anderson All Talk (BBC1 1996-99) Bee Gees stormed off.

23. Celeb (BBC1 2002) Misplaced Harry Enfield show satirising fame.

24. Diana: Her True Story (Sky One 1993) Andrew Morton's book becomes dreadful mini-series.

25. Eurovision Song Contest (BBC1 1956-now) Crimes against music.

26. Celebrity Wrestling (ITV1 2005) With Annabel Croft and James Hewitt.

27. Babes In The Wood (ITV 1998) Not good for careers of Samantha Janus and Denise Van Outen.

28. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (BBC 1952-now) Annual squaddie-fest.

29. The Girlie Show (C4 1996) Ladette show fronted by Sarah Cox.

30. That's Life (BBC1 1973-94) Consumer show with Esther Rantzen.

31. Family Fortunes (ITV 1980-2002) Quiz and Les Dennis.

32. Littlejohn: Live and Unleashed (Sky One 1998) Current affairs.

33. Lock, Stock... (C4 2000) Failed follow-up to Guy Ritchie crime caper.

34. French And Saunders (BBC1 1987-2004) Lagged towards the end.

35. Alastair Burnet's Royal Interviews (ITV 1980s) Sycophantic chats.

36. Eldorado (BBC1 1992-93) Sex, sun and sangria in expat Spain.

37. LA Pool Party (BBC Choice 2001-02) Music and chat in Malibu.

38. Heartbeat (ITV 1992-now) Friendly bobbies in Sixties Yorkshire.

39. Going For Gold (BBC1 1987-96) Henry Kelly quizzes Europeans.

40. 3-2-1 (ITV 1978-87) Ted Rogers, cryptic clues and a hand gesture.

41. Origami (ITV 1968) Children's show with magician Robert Harbin.

42. The Gaby Roslin Show (C4 1996) Chat with ex-Big Breakfast presenter.

43. Clive James's Postcard From... (ITV 1990-99) Travel.

44. Davina (BBC1 2006) Chatshow was soon axed.

45. Kilroy (BBC1 1987-2004) Robert Kilroy-Silk charms housewives.

46. Wacaday (ITV 1985-92) Children's show with Timmy Mallett.

47. Fort Boyard (Five 1998-2002) Gameshow.

48. Popstars: the Rivals (ITV 2002).

49. Flog It! (BBC2 2002) Sell-your-tat show.

50. Crossroads (ITV 1964-88; 2001-03) Soap in a motel near Birmingham.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Strange list....I remember Origami fondly; perfectly respectable show, got me into paperfolding when I was a kid. And The Good Old Days is one of the few variety shows of that era I would want to see again...or even revived?? There's more of an interest in Music Hall now, people are having entire academic careers studying the form, and especially the influence it had on early cinema forms, presentation and business..

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']The list has been compiled by TV expert John Naughton.

Would that be Professor John Naughton? Professor of the Public Understanding of Technology, at the Open University?

So nothing to do with TV then.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    321 was one I loved as a kid but I never had the foggiest about the clues. Heil Honey I'm Home is one I've never seen.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a good 70% of that list I can't comment on as I've never seen, but the remainder I largely agree with. A couple of exceptions though:

I note that A Year In Provence made it to No 10.

I remember the flak it took when it was first screened - I never really understood that as I quite enjoyed it myself. Then again, despite being an avid reader, I never did get my hands on the novel. As a piece of entertainment in it's own right though. I even picked up the DVD earlier this year to see if it stood up to a second viewing after 13 years. It did. Well... what I saw of it did anyway - the DVD release has been chopped to pieces in absolutely shocking fashion. Might explain why it was only £2.99 though!

George & Mildred at no 18. I still find this a watchable show. It's dated in the usual and obvious ways, but as it's from my favourite comedy era's I could still watch over and again.

DAE
    is this list just the opinion of John Naughton? - if so does that mean we can look forward to more lists, compiled by other "TV experts"???.

Naked Jungle tops the list of worst ever TV shows but was channel 5's top-rated entertainment show of 2000 pulling in 2 million viewers - admittedly the show was absolute garbage but 2 million viewers suggests some measure of success (unless it just shows that many British viewers have warped ideas on what they see as entertainment).

some entries in the list i agree with, some i don't know but SURELY 'George And Mildred' does not belong on this list (nor do a couple of others - but i'm not going to embarass myself further by naming them!)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DAE
    is this list just the opinion of John Naughton? - if so does that mean we can look forward to more lists, compiled by other "TV experts"???.

Naked Jungle tops the list of worst ever TV shows but was channel 5's top-rated entertainment show of 2000 pulling in 2 million viewers - admittedly the show was absolute garbage but 2 million viewers suggests some measure of success (unless it just shows that many British viewers have warped ideas on what they see as entertainment).

some entries in the list i agree with, some i don't know but SURELY 'George And Mildred' does not belong on this list (nor do a couple of others - but i'm not going to embarass myself further by naming them!)

The "initially popular" description of the Black and White Minstrels shows certainly doesn't begin to suggest the enormous popularity that the programmes had in their heyday when they consistently topped the ratings. I've seen some of these shows again fairly recently and was impressed how slickly they were done especially considering that they went out on a weekly basis and were performed "live" in their early days. I suppose what the critics really object to is the "blackface" aspect of the show and I wonder why they don't come out and say so rather than denigrate a series which in terms of quality rated much higher than the tens of thousands of other pieces of garbage that have been broadcast before or since and have been completely, and rightly,forgotten. I could say the same of some of the other entries on this "definitive" list. "Worst-ever TV shows" indeed!!

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    How can this possibly have been terrible television?

22. Clive Anderson All Talk (BBC1 1996-99) Bee Gees stormed off.

Especially if it meant they didn't sing

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Meaningless twaddle.

Just one persons views that have been published as if they are the be all and end all of the subject. What makes this guy an expert?

There are shows listed there that were extremely popular with viewers in their time.

A pointless exercise.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    Just one persons views that have been published as if they are the be all and end all of the subject. What makes this guy an expert?

There are shows listed there that were extremely popular with viewers in their time.

Dave.

Completely true. I'm still amazed as to how the hell George & Mildred made it in there!

You know, I was half tempted to respond with my own version of the list. It would prove the above point perfectly (and, no doubt, generate some vehement opposition). Hell, I'm no expert - but I know exactly what I dislike.

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I get really fed up when so called 'experts' have a go at older programmes as a cheap laugh. If the Black and White Minstrals was so bad, why did so many Millions watch it? As a kid i hated it, but my Mum loved it. Likewise The Good Old days, with Leonard Sachs and his Discomnockerifcation etc. It seems that all vintage TV commentators are just having a cheap jibe to try and make the modern poor rubbish seem good.

Liked
    0 times
    name='bobsterkent']I get really fed up when so called 'experts' have a go at older programmes as a cheap laugh. If the Black and White Minstrals was so bad, why did so many Millions watch it? As a kid i hated it, but my Mum loved it. Likewise The Good Old days, with Leonard Sachs and his Discomnockerifcation etc. It seems that all vintage TV commentators are just having a cheap jibe to try and make the modern poor rubbish seem good.
    A couple of times over the past few weeks whilst channel zapping I've stumbled on a programme called "You are what you eat" and, each time, have been regaled with the spectacle of some grossly-overweight individual being lectured on the quality of their faeces by a domineering, scatologically-obsessed woman.

With "quality fayre" such as this being shown on TV today I begin to long for the times when I could flick a switch and watch Dai Francis belting out "Swanee" or a cheerful crowd dressed in Edwardian clobber going in to a rousing chorus of "Down at the Old Bull and Bush."

Liked
    0 times
    name='Ascoyne D'Ascoyne']A couple of times over the past few weeks whilst channel zapping I've stumbled on a programme called "You are what you eat" and, each time, have been regaled with the spectacle of some grossly-overweight individual being lectured on the quality of their faeces by a domineering, scatologically-obsessed woman.

I think I had the misfortune to happen upon that one recently. The trouble with a lot of modern shows is that they cash in on the voyueristic element which is clearly more acceptable than it used to be. We can sell a particularly bad show to millions of people because they want to see what goes on in other peoples lives and, hopefully, see some misfortune along the way. I won't pretend to understand the psychology behind it, but I just think it's crazy.

One that bugs me is the current trend for headlining a show (and there are more than one or two) with a couple of posh TV people who spend the next 30 minutes patronising lesser people, who have been unwise enough to exhibit their personal lives on the TV screen.

These sort of shows, and the one listed abovem, are far more appropriate for a list of bad shows. Having said that - it's just my opinion!!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='DB7']Worst ever TV shows named

Most of us spend too much time watching dreadful television programmes. Now, the Radio Times reveals a "definitive" list of the 50 worst shows of all time.

1. Naked Jungle (Five, 2000) Gameshow with nude Keith Chegwin. - I agree

2. Minipops (C4, 1983) Music videos with children in make-up. - I agree

3. Triangle (BBC1, 1981-83) Soap opera about a ferry. And Kate O'Mara. - At the time it was slated, but they have turned out worse programmes since.

4. Quickfire Balls (Avago Channel 2006) Bingo-style gameshow. - I agree

5. Annie's Bar (C4 1996) Dire soap set in Parliament watering hole. A Prince Edward production. - I agree

6. Wright Here, Wright Now (BBC1 2002) Ian Wright: great frontman for Arsenal, not for a music/chat show. - I agree

7. Love Thy Neighbour (ITV 1972-76) "Comedy" about black couple living next to white bigot. - I disagree

8. Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends(C4 1984-91) Ringo Starr's narration "nauseating". - I disagree

9. Through The Keyhole (BBC1 1983) Loyd Grossman in "celebrity" homes. - I disagree

10. A Year In Provence (BBC1 1993) "Disastrous" Peter Mayle adaptation. - I agree

11. Heil Honey I'm Home!! (BSB Galaxy 1990) Sitcom about Hitler, Eva Braun and a Jewish couple. - I agree

(BBC1 1958-78) Initially popular but eventually scrapped. - I disagree

13. The Borgias (BBC2 1981) Historical blockbuster flops. - I agree

14. The Good Old Days (BBC 1953-83) music hall acts in Leeds. - I disagree

15. Breakfast Time (BBC1 1983-89) Russell Grant, Fern Britton, David Icke. - I disagree

16. Thompson (BBC1 1988) Emma Thompson tries stand-up. - I agree

17. OTT (ITV 1982) Tiswas spin-off. - I agree

18. George And Mildred (ITV 1976-79) Man About The House spin-off. - I disagree

19. Dream Team (Sky One 1997-2006) Football soap. - I agree

20. Ross Kemp: Alive In Alaska (BBC1 1999) Actor swaps Albert Square for Alaskan bears. - I agree

21. Kirsty's Home Videos (Sky 1 2000-04) Gallacher's show dubbed "You've Been Framed With An Abso". - I agree

22. Clive Anderson All Talk (BBC1 1996-99) Bee Gees stormed off. - I agree

23. Celeb (BBC1 2002) Misplaced Harry Enfield show satirising fame. - I agree

24. Diana: Her True Story (Sky One 1993) Andrew Morton's book becomes dreadful mini-series. - I agree

25. Eurovision Song Contest (BBC1 1956-now) Crimes against music. - I agree

26. Celebrity Wrestling (ITV1 2005) With Annabel Croft and James Hewitt. - I agree

27. Babes In The Wood (ITV 1998) Not good for careers of Samantha Janus and Denise Van Outen. - I agree

28. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (BBC 1952-now) Annual squaddie-fest. - I agree

29. The Girlie Show (C4 1996) Ladette show fronted by Sarah Cox. - I agree

30. That's Life (BBC1 1973-94) Consumer show with Esther Rantzen. - I agree

31. Family Fortunes (ITV 1980-2002) Quiz and Les Dennis. - I agree

32. Littlejohn: Live and Unleashed (Sky One 1998) Current affairs. - I agree

33. Lock, Stock... (C4 2000) Failed follow-up to Guy Ritchie crime caper. - I agree

34. French And Saunders (BBC1 1987-2004) Lagged towards the end. - I agree and I have never liked these two.

35. Alastair Burnet's Royal Interviews (ITV 1980s) Sycophantic chats. - I agree

36. Eldorado (BBC1 1992-93) Sex, sun and sangria in expat Spain. - I agree

37. LA Pool Party (BBC Choice 2001-02) Music and chat in Malibu. - I agree

38. Heartbeat (ITV 1992-now) Friendly bobbies in Sixties Yorkshire. - I totally disagree

39. Going For Gold (BBC1 1987-96) Henry Kelly quizzes Europeans. - I disagree

40. 3-2-1 (ITV 1978-87) Ted Rogers, cryptic clues and a hand gesture. - I agree

41. Origami (ITV 1968) Children's show with magician Robert Harbin. - I disagree

42. The Gaby Roslin Show (C4 1996) Chat with ex-Big Breakfast presenter. - I agree

43. Clive James's Postcard From... (ITV 1990-99) Travel. - I agree

44. Davina (BBC1 2006) Chatshow was soon axed. - I agree

45. Kilroy (BBC1 1987-2004) Robert Kilroy-Silk charms housewives. - I agree

46. Wacaday (ITV 1985-92) Children's show with Timmy Mallett. - It was slated at the time, but was far better than the majority of the modern offerings.

47. Fort Boyard (Five 1998-2002) Gameshow. - I agree

48. Popstars: the Rivals (ITV 2002). - I agree and so was Pop Idol crap as well. In fact all these type of programmes are crap and you can include The X Factor in this as well.

49. Flog It! (BBC2 2002) Sell-your-tat show. - I agree

50. Crossroads (ITV 1964-88; 2001-03) Soap in a motel near Birmingham. - The original version was o.k. until Meg departed because it never recovered from her absence. The 2001 version was ruined by killing off Jill and ask for the 2003 version, that was absolutely diabolical.

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    There is no mention of how our tv expert? john naughton arrived at his conclusions (personal opinion ? he's perfectly entitled to that) but come on!!! I wouldn't disagree with most on the list but , there are some puzzling choices.

The Black and white minstrel show is mentioned as being initially succesful,

"IT RAN FOR TWENTY YEARS!!!" I defy anybody of my generation (born 1956)

to feel anything but warmth when you hear "sing something simple".

Yes as a child I wouldn't have chosen to watch it but,because your parents watched it you did (and don't forget the radio, we listened to it because the telly wasn't always broadcasting in those days) Let's hear it for the mike sammes singers.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR ,This programme worked because it showed bigotry for what it is . I grew up in a multicultural society and I never knew of anybody who was offended by it, in fact just the opposite.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS, In the same category as the B/W minstrels , pure entertainment.

GEORGE AND MILDRED

THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST( Come on ! maybe without el tel it may lose something)

HEARTBEAT

GOING FOR GOLD

3 2 1

ORIGAMI , There was never enough paper in the house.

This isn't "TV HELL", "TV HELL IS ANY REALITY PROGRAMME THAT IS CURRENTLY BEING SHOWN"

Liked
    0 times
    name='smiffy'] There is no mention of how our tv expert? john naughton arrived at his conclusions (personal opinion ? he's perfectly entitled to that) but come on!!! I wouldn't disagree with most on the list but , there are some puzzling choices.

The Black and white minstrel show is mentioned as being initially succesful,

"IT RAN FOR TWENTY YEARS!!!" I defy anybody of my generation (born 1956)

to feel anything but warmth when you hear "sing something simple".

Yes as a child I wouldn't have chosen to watch it but,because your parents watched it you did (and don't forget the radio, we listened to it because the telly wasn't always broadcasting in those days) Let's hear it for the mike sammes singers.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR ,This programme worked because it showed bigotry for what it is . I grew up in a multicultural society and I never knew of anybody who was offended by it, in fact just the opposite.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS, In the same category as the B/W minstrels , pure entertainment.

GEORGE AND MILDRED

THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST( Come on ! maybe without el tel it may lose something)

HEARTBEAT

GOING FOR GOLD

3 2 1

ORIGAMI , There was never enough paper in the house.

This isn't "TV HELL", "TV HELL IS ANY REALITY PROGRAMME THAT IS CURRENTLY BEING SHOWN"

I agree with your above conclusion on John Naughton's 50 choices of worst ever tv programmes. I think you have summed things up pretty well.

Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='Roy Galloway;45967]
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7'
    Worst ever TV shows named

1. Naked Jungle (Five, 2000) Gameshow with nude Keith Chegwin. - I agree

2. Minipops (C4, 1983) Music videos with children in make-up. - I agree

3. Triangle (BBC1, 1981-83) Soap opera about a ferry. And Kate O'Mara. - At the time it was slated, but they have turned out worse programmes since.

4. Quickfire Balls (Avago Channel 2006) Bingo-style gameshow. - I agree

5. Annie's Bar (C4 1996) Dire soap set in Parliament watering hole. A Prince Edward production. - I agree

6. Wright Here, Wright Now (BBC1 2002) Ian Wright: great frontman for Arsenal, not for a music/chat show. - I agree

7. Love Thy Neighbour (ITV 1972-76) "Comedy" about black couple living next to white bigot. - I disagree

8. Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends(C4 1984-91) Ringo Starr's narration "nauseating". - I disagree

9. Through The Keyhole (BBC1 1983) Loyd Grossman in "celebrity" homes. - I disagree

10. A Year In Provence (BBC1 1993) "Disastrous" Peter Mayle adaptation. - I agree

11. Heil Honey I'm Home!! (BSB Galaxy 1990) Sitcom about Hitler, Eva Braun and a Jewish couple. - I agree

(BBC1 1958-78) Initially popular but eventually scrapped. - I disagree

13. The Borgias (BBC2 1981) Historical blockbuster flops. - I agree

14. The Good Old Days (BBC 1953-83) music hall acts in Leeds. - I disagree

15. Breakfast Time (BBC1 1983-89) Russell Grant, Fern Britton, David Icke. - I disagree

16. Thompson (BBC1 1988) Emma Thompson tries stand-up. - I agree

17. OTT (ITV 1982) Tiswas spin-off. - I agree

18. George And Mildred (ITV 1976-79) Man About The House spin-off. - I disagree

19. Dream Team (Sky One 1997-2006) Football soap. - I agree

20. Ross Kemp: Alive In Alaska (BBC1 1999) Actor swaps Albert Square for Alaskan bears. - I agree

21. Kirsty's Home Videos (Sky 1 2000-04) Gallacher's show dubbed "You've Been Framed With An Abso". - I agree

22. Clive Anderson All Talk (BBC1 1996-99) Bee Gees stormed off. - I agree

23. Celeb (BBC1 2002) Misplaced Harry Enfield show satirising fame. - I agree

24. Diana: Her True Story (Sky One 1993) Andrew Morton's book becomes dreadful mini-series. - I agree

25. Eurovision Song Contest (BBC1 1956-now) Crimes against music. - I agree

26. Celebrity Wrestling (ITV1 2005) With Annabel Croft and James Hewitt. - I agree

27. Babes In The Wood (ITV 1998) Not good for careers of Samantha Janus and Denise Van Outen. - I agree

28. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo (BBC 1952-now) Annual squaddie-fest. - I agree

29. The Girlie Show (C4 1996) Ladette show fronted by Sarah Cox. - I agree

30. That's Life (BBC1 1973-94) Consumer show with Esther Rantzen. - I agree

31. Family Fortunes (ITV 1980-2002) Quiz and Les Dennis. - I agree

32. Littlejohn: Live and Unleashed (Sky One 1998) Current affairs. - I agree

33. Lock, Stock... (C4 2000) Failed follow-up to Guy Ritchie crime caper. - I agree

34. French And Saunders (BBC1 1987-2004) Lagged towards the end. - I agree and I have never liked these two.

35. Alastair Burnet's Royal Interviews (ITV 1980s) Sycophantic chats. - I agree

36. Eldorado (BBC1 1992-93) Sex, sun and sangria in expat Spain. - I agree

37. LA Pool Party (BBC Choice 2001-02) Music and chat in Malibu. - I agree

38. Heartbeat (ITV 1992-now) Friendly bobbies in Sixties Yorkshire. - I totally disagree

39. Going For Gold (BBC1 1987-96) Henry Kelly quizzes Europeans. - I disagree

40. 3-2-1 (ITV 1978-87) Ted Rogers, cryptic clues and a hand gesture. - I agree

41. Origami (ITV 1968) Children's show with magician Robert Harbin. - I disagree

42. The Gaby Roslin Show (C4 1996) Chat with ex-Big Breakfast presenter. - I agree

43. Clive James's Postcard From... (ITV 1990-99) Travel. - I agree

44. Davina (BBC1 2006) Chatshow was soon axed. - I agree

45. Kilroy (BBC1 1987-2004) Robert Kilroy-Silk charms housewives. - I agree

46. Wacaday (ITV 1985-92) Children's show with Timmy Mallett. - It was slated at the time, but was far better than the majority of the modern offerings.

47. Fort Boyard (Five 1998-2002) Gameshow. - I agree

48. Popstars: the Rivals (ITV 2002). - I agree and so was Pop Idol crap as well. In fact all these type of programmes are crap and you can include The X Factor in this as well.

49. Flog It! (BBC2 2002) Sell-your-tat show. - I agree

50. Crossroads (ITV 1964-88; 2001-03) Soap in a motel near Birmingham. - The original version was o.k. until Meg departed because it never recovered from her absence. The 2001 version was ruined by killing off Jill and ask for the 2003 version, that was absolutely diabolical.

roy......your not my long lost brother are you you ???because i seem to agree with you on 99% of this lot

Liked
    3 times
    name='DB7']Worst ever TV shows named

A copy of the Radio Times reveals a hell of a lot more crap than 50 shows, and on a weekly basis too! I flick through Freeview and it's a perpetual diet of Little Written, Friends, House of Tiny Tearaways, 2 Pints of Lager, 100 Best Programmes About Other Programmes, 100 Worst Programmes About Other Programmes, the same films repeated ad nauseum, X Factor Behind the Scenes, CSI: Name a City, The History of Light Entertainment, The History of the Royal Variety Show, The History of Shows About Various Aspects of Television, Top 50 Office Party Dance Floor Favourite Hits, plus a host of interesting shopping channels and quiz channels presented by people who lacked the charisma to succeed in double-glazing salesmanship, plus once famous TV presenters telling you how much you can save on an exotic cruise on which the Far Eastern slave labour catering staff will do their best to ensure that your 24 hour a day lukewarm buffet will give you life threatening food poisoning at least once during your holiday, and it's so informal now you can spend a relaxing fortnight surrounded by fat people in sportswear and thick gold chains around their chins, tattoed calves and obnoxious gobby obese children who should have been drowned at birth!

Of course the demise of UK television has been on the cards since ITV came into being 50 years ago! Not allowing people to apply for the top job in Channel 4, BBC and ITV unless their first name is Michael and their second name Grade has also had a detrimental affect, with the worst period in television history co-inciding with his career in the industry!

Liked
    0 times
    name='samkydd']A copy of the Radio Times reveals a hell of a lot more crap than 50 shows, and on a weekly basis too! I flick through Freeview and it's a perpetual diet of Little Written, Friends, House of Tiny Tearaways, 2 Pints of Lager, 100 Best Programmes About Other Programmes, 100 Worst Programmes About Other Programmes, the same films repeated ad nauseum, X Factor Behind the Scenes, CSI: Name a City, The History of Light Entertainment, The History of the Royal Variety Show, The History of Shows About Various Aspects of Television, Top 50 Office Party Dance Floor Favourite Hits, plus a host of interesting shopping channels and quiz channels presented by people who lacked the charisma to succeed in double-glazing salesmanship, plus once famous TV presenters telling you how much you can save on an exotic cruise on which the Far Eastern slave labour catering staff will do their best to ensure that your 24 hour a day lukewarm buffet will give you life threatening food poisoning at least once during your holiday, and it's so informal now you can spend a relaxing fortnight surrounded by fat people in sportswear and thick gold chains around their chins, tattoed calves and obnoxious gobby obese children who should have been drowned at birth!

Of course the demise of UK television has been on the cards since ITV came into being 50 years ago! Not allowing people to apply for the top job in Channel 4, BBC and ITV unless their first name is Michael and their second name Grade has also had a detrimental affect, with the worst period in television history co-inciding with his career in the industry!

Right on Sam - the Freeview programme 'schedulers', if 'schedulers' is the right name for them, seem to think that the viewers have the attention span of a 'chav' or 'hoodie'. I was really looking forward to the History Uk channel, until I realised they were showing the same stuff day in and day out!

Clearly these extra channels are just a medium for raking in more cash for the greedy bloody tv execs, with more poxey adverts; well that's unfair really, as the ads are better than some of the progs!!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Jim']Right on Sam - the Freeview programme 'schedulers', if 'schedulers' is the right name for them, seem to think that the viewers have the attention span of a 'chav' or 'hoodie'. I was really looking forward to the History Uk channel, until I realised they were showing the same stuff day in and day out!

Clearly these extra channels are just a medium for raking in more cash for the greedy bloody tv execs, with more poxey adverts; well that's unfair really, as the ads are better than some of the progs!!

Digital Television wants eradicating immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast