Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    One of the funniest British films ever made.

Superb performances from George Cole, Terry-Thomas, Bernard Bresslaw, Sid James and John Le Mesurier amongst a great cast packed with many well known faces.

George Cole plays the inept con "Fingers" to perfection and the dialogue between him and Terry-Thomas is hillarious.

Bernard Bresslaw is at his very best as the dopey "Snowdrop".

A wonderful script.

No matter how many times I watch this film I cannot help but laugh out loud at the exploits of these villianous characters.

I rate this film five stars.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    One of the funniest British films ever made.

Superb performances from George Cole, Terry-Thomas, Bernard Bresslaw, Sid James and John Le Mesurier amongst a great cast packed with many well known faces.

George Cole plays the inept con "Fingers" to perfection and the dialogue between him and Terry-Thomas is hillarious.

Bernard Bresslaw is at his very best as the dopey "Snowdrop".

A wonderful script.

No matter how many times I watch this film I cannot help but laugh out loud at the exploits of these villianous characters.

I rate this film five stars.

Dave.

Hello David

Yes a very funny film,I also like the similary titled Crooks Anonymous.

Terry

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Agreed superb film, I loved the scene where T-T keeps trying to get back into his burning home

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    One of my real favourites is on BBC2 Monday morning. Wonderful performances by Terry Thomas, Brenda De Banzie, what a great actress, and George Cole.

Very funny film and completely ripped off in an American copy in the 80's, but nowhere as good, called Ruthless People, without any credit given to the original. Bloody cheek!

It's there alongside School for Scoundrels, if you haven't seen it before don't miss it and that's also if you have .

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park
    One of my real favourites is on BBC2 Monday morning. Wonderful performances by Terry Thomas, Brenda De Banzie, what a great actress, and George Cole.

Very funny film and completely ripped off in an American copy in the 80's, but nowhere as good, called Ruthless People, without any credit given to the original. Bloody cheek!

It's there alongside School for Scoundrels, if you haven't seen it before don't miss it and that's also if you have .
    Personally, I think that Ruthless People was so inferior to Too Many Crooks that it would have been an insult to give any credit to it!

I must try and remember that's on; it's brilliant.

DS x.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I liked Bernard Bresslaw as Snowdrop.

Too Many Crooks (1959)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park

It's one of my all time favourites and Brenda De Banzie is excellent as always, and Vera Day a real pin up. I bought it in a Terry-Thomas boxed set along with Make Mine Mink and The Naked Truth.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    We've got this on Carlton's 'Terry-Thomas Collection'. A super film full of little gems. Bernard Breslaw's 'Cor, twenty thousand pounds! How much is that?' and his habit of falling down the stairs make me laugh every time. Brenda de Banzie was a much under-used artiste in my opinion - she's a cracking actress who measures her performances to a fine degree.

We seem unable to make light comedy like this nowadays - I wonder why this is? As for Hollywood remakes, I wish they would stop it - they have no idea of subtlety or reserve.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    One of my favourite comedy films.

No matter how many times I watch it though I always feel letdown (for the thieves) at the end.

I won't give anything away about the ending but it was a case of so close yet.....

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    One of my favourite comedy films.

No matter how many times I watch it though I always feel letdown (for the thieves) at the end.

I won't give anything away about the ending but it was a case of so close yet.....

Dave.
    In those days the film censors wouldn't allow criminal activity to succeed even in a comedy film.

Liked
    0 times
    Unforgettable film. Best line, delivered by George Cole:

"We vill Scatter 'er up ze Great North Road"

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I like Terry-Thomas, and George Cole, and Sid James of course. But I thought that this film was one of the worst they'd ever done. Sorry to those who have expressed a liking for it, but I just couldn't watch it.

I recorded it from when it as shown recently and I tried to watch it a couple of times. But gave up both times.

It seems to be full of every cliche imaginable from the prat-falls to the runaway hearse. The gang member nickname Whisper who normally speaks in a whisper but decides to talk in a normal, even a loud voice when they're all trying to be quiet. It was just painful to watch. All the gags were signposted from miles away and many of them weren't even done very well.

Sorry, but definitely not one for me

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    By sheer chance, and by courtesy of our cousins on the architectural website 'SkyscraperCity', a discovery regarding Hidden London has revealed an original poster for the film in situ 50 years in position. (Notting Hill Gate underground station following recent excavations).

Full details of original posting available, and can get a bigger shot of it maybe via Photobucket if requested.
    Attached Images