Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straw Dogs

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epcs
    Could someone please tell me where the house (exterior) is located that was used in Straw Dogs?
    You might find this previous thread helpful:-

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Excellent pics Conner25

Some i found of the church

and aerial view

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    Looks like it's had a makeover. It looked more 'lived in' when Kermode visited.

Right theory as now it is now a holiday home called Solomons Island(Although curiously the website does not mention Straw Dogs)

More here : Solomons Island: Location

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tali122
    Right theory as now it is now a holiday home called Solomons Island(Although curiously the website does not mention Straw Dogs)

More here : Solomons Island: Location
    Actually, the last question in the FAQ confirms that it was the location used!

Also, strangely, they get *all* their electricity from solar panels! What a great place for an eco-friendly holiday!

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPlowman
    Actually, the last question in the FAQ confirms that it was the location used!

Also, strangely, they get *all* their electricity from solar panels! What a great place for an eco-friendly holiday!

Ooops!

More pics

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by connor25
    The Pub, St Buryan 2008

Enjoy!

The Pub in 2003

And in the movie

1971 view from the church yard, Susan George is sat in the Triumph Stag.

2003 view from the church yard,

Pictures courtesy of cashmerecruiser

Liked
    0 times
    It is amazing how little St Buryan has changed in the 38 or so years.

What always puzzled me is why did Peckinpah have all the roads covered in dirt so that you couldn't see any road markings? I know St Buryan very well indeed and the roads have never ever been that dirty! Except in 'Straw Dogs' that is.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maninasuitcase
    It is amazing how little St Buryan has changed in the 38 or so years.

What always puzzled me is why did Peckinpah have all the roads covered in dirt so that you couldn't see any road markings? I know St Buryan very well indeed and the roads have never ever been that dirty! Except in 'Straw Dogs' that is.
    Didn't Peckinpah pay a farmer �40 a day (�455 in todays money) to mud the roads in his tractor?

Liked
    0 times
    Didn't Peckinpah pay a farmer �40 a day (�455 in todays money) to mud the roads in his tractor?
    Its not a story that I have ever heard from any of the people that I know that live in St Buryan but it wouldn't surprise me if that was a true story!

Liked
    1 times
    Its not a story that I have ever heard from any of the people that I know that live in St Buryan but it wouldn't surprise me if that was a true story!
    No wonder ! I think if i earned that whopping amount i'd keep quiet .What do the locals think of the film- did any appear as extras or get close to Hoffman or Peckinpah?

I would love any other info they have.

Do you live nearby?

Liked
    0 times
    No wonder ! I think if i earned that whopping amount i'd keep quiet .What do the locals think of the film- did any appear as extras or get close to Hoffman or Peckinpah?

I would love any other info they have.

Do you live nearby?

Yes, several people I went to the Grammar School with (in 1973) were in the school scene. They were pupils at St Buryan Primary School at the time of shooting the movie.

Yes, there were other locals who appeared in the film. I think in one of those documentaries that has been shown fairly recently on TV they interviewed some of them. Betty Sincock (who still lives in the village) was definitely one of them.

I spoke to one of the locals of the real St Buryan Inn (not the "pub" featured in the movie) and he told me Sam was often seen in there drinking away. I think I mentioned before in this thread about the picture on the wall showing Dustin Hoffman play the pub's piano.

I was born in the neighbouring parish of St Levan and I remember vividly the road through St Buryan being closed for a few days during filming. But being only 8 or 9 at the time I didn't go and see 'Straw Dogs' being filmed.

Now, I did go and see 'Dr. Who' being filmed locally in 1966 but that is another story.................................

Liked
    1 times
    Yes, several people I went to the Grammar School with (in 1973) were in the school scene. They were pupils at St Buryan Primary School at the time of shooting the movie.

Yes, there were other locals who appeared in the film. I think in one of those documentaries that has been shown fairly recently on TV they interviewed some of them. Betty Sincock (who still lives in the village) was definitely one of them.
    ]
    I spoke to one of the locals of the real St Buryan Inn (not the "pub" featured in the movie) and he told me Sam was often seen in there drinking away. I think I mentioned before in this thread about the picture on the wall showing Dustin Hoffman play the pub's piano.

I was born in the neighbouring parish of St Levan and I remember vividly the road through St Buryan being closed for a few days during filming. But being only 8 or 9 at the time I didn't go and see 'Straw Dogs' being filmed.

Now, I did go and see 'Dr. Who' being filmed locally in 1966 but that is another story.................................
    Thanks most interesting.Was wondering( bit of a long shot ) were these villagers cars or did the film crew bring them- would be great if you could find info

Liked
    0 times
    I will be down in the St Buryan area in the next month or so and I will see if I can find someone who might know. On Friday week (the 23rd) I am hopefully going out for a meal with a bunch of my old school pals from Penzance (one of whom was in the school scene) and I will see what he remembers.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Was wondering( bit of a long shot ) were these villagers cars or did the film crew bring them
    The registration number on the little Austin (TCV 937) is a cornish number (Truro to be precise) so i guess it was one of the locals own car.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 62Murphy
    The registration number on the little Austin (TCV 937) is a cornish number (Truro to be precise) so i guess it was one of the locals own car.
    Thanks for that did check on number but sadly nothing lists on DVLA records

Liked
    1 times
    Some more pics

Liked
    0 times
    I met up with old school pal and few other people from St Buryan on Friday and they all could recall the filming. I showed them the photos of the cars and one of my friends kindly said she would ask around the village to see if they were owned by locals at the time of filming.

Apparently all the extras used at the time were all local people from the village. The man driving the cattle up the road in the film was local farmer Jim Hosking from Tower Farm which is about 150 yards out of the village on the road leading to Crows-an-Wra.

My friend recalled that the party scene with the school children was shot in one afternoon. They were all told that they were going to be in a film but knew nothing more than that! Their reward? Their parents were all given free cinema tickets to see the film when it was released in the local cinema. My pal said a lot of the parents walked out in disgust!

If I hear any more recollections of filming I will post again.

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks maninasuitcase - fascinating info!

More please!

Liked
    1 times
    Distance from Tor noon to St Buryan

Route from TR19 7TT to TR19 6BA

Liked
    0 times
    I was in St Buryan this weekend. I had a chat with a very nice lady who runs the village shop )opposite the pub). She was an extra in Straw Dogs (she was one of the children at the church social, and can be seen in a long gown behind Colin Welland in one scene), and well remembers the filming. She also remembers the walk-out by villagers when they went to see the finished film - apparently a lot of them were strict Methodists, not at all prepared for the rape scene and violent siege!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast