Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Straw Dogs

Liked
    0 times
    My best mate's relatives had joint ownership of Trencher Farm/Tor Noon Cottage (which is now Solomon's Island). I think they don't still own half of it; I'll ask my mate and get back to you on that. It apparently looked still the same as back in the 70's, with the power running off a generator, up until recently as it's been refurbished. This was because one owner wanted it modified, and the other didn't. Now I don't know how true that is because it was a while since my mate told me, but I reckon it's pretty valid as you may notice the floor plan is different compared to the film... Solomons Island: Accommodation

An interesting ad :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5GOJnPhk8Q

Liked
    0 times
    ...He said his relatives still owns the place and that we'll go down there sometime next year as he once promised.

Any questions guys and i'll happily relay it to him :)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maninasuitcase
    It is amazing how little St Buryan has changed in the 38 or so years.

What always puzzled me is why did Peckinpah have all the roads covered in dirt so that you couldn't see any road markings? I know St Buryan very well indeed and the roads have never ever been that dirty! Except in 'Straw Dogs' that is.
    Wasn't this because he wanted it to look like a western town? I think Kermode mentions that he saw it as his english western and the muddy streets and lack of markings and street furniture give it that feel

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bex bissell
    Wasn't this because he wanted it to look like a western town? I think Kermode mentions that he saw it as his english western and the muddy streets and lack of markings and street furniture give it that feel
    Apprently the local farmer was paid �40 a day to do this - which is @ �500 in todays money!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlomis
    ...He said his relatives still owns the place and that we'll go down there sometime next year as he once promised.

Any questions guys and i'll happily relay it to him :)
    How much was your friend paid for use of the farm?

Did he meet any cast or Big Sam?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tali122

How much was your friend paid for use of the farm?

Did he meet any cast or Big Sam?
    He wouldn't say how much was paid, he's the same age as me so wouldn't have met the cast. But what I can tell you is it was owned by his dad's second cousin when the film was made. When they made the film they connected the cottage with electricity and laid a proper road, which she made them destroy to keep it all "authentic". She died a year or two ago and he thinks one of his relatives is living there permanently now.

Liked
    0 times
    I went to st, buyran back in 2009 after i went there i headed straight to morvah about 8 miles away but had no luck finding this house how do u get to it once ur in morvah, has anyone got any pacific directions please help thanks

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panasonicfilms
    I went to st, buyran back in 2009 after i went there i headed straight to morvah about 8 miles away but had no luck finding this house how do u get to it once ur in morvah, has anyone got any pacific directions please help thanks
    Is this your vid?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLqM9CT4j64

I did post the postcode of TR19 7TT earlier.

Also rare On Location documentary here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Pe...GS/42880036579

Liked
    0 times
    yes this is my video, thanks for watching

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by panasonicfilms
    yes this is my video, thanks for watching
    Good work

I think this is it on GSView

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I've been reading this thread with interest and I just wondered if anyone had rented the farmhouse at Solomon's Island and their thoughts on their stay? I am thinking of renting it next year but as I don't drive I wondered if there is a bus route that runs within a mile or so of it's location?

Cheers

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuckoo002 View Post
    Hi

I've been reading this thread with interest and I just wondered if anyone had rented the farmhouse at Solomon's Island and their thoughts on their stay? I am thinking of renting it next year but as I don't drive I wondered if there is a bus route that runs within a mile or so of it's location?

Cheers

Rob
    Guests should be clear that Solomon’s Island is a very unusual property. It is self-sufficient and exists without mains services - nor does it have a phone, TV, washing machine, dish washer, conventional oven, freezer or power shower.

http://www.solomonsisland.co.uk/availability/index.php

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123