Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straw Dogs

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    does anyone know of specific road /street names of locations for straw dogs?, i know it is in st buryan and lammore cove - but i need more than that also the name of the pub, church and school(i assume its st buryans school)- cant imagine another school in a small area)

with some digging i managed to hunt out tor noon (i assume this is the hamlet name rather than that of the house) -which was amy and davids house which is 10.5 miles south of st buryan ,tor noon does not feature on any current maps.i also managed to get info on the triumph stag rvc430h and that was last on the road in jan1987.

There are roads in cornwall that are at the heart of one of the most controversial films ever and yet they are unknown -that intuiges me deeply.

thanks

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi There

I was very interested in your write up regarding this film.

Like you I have a fascination for the locations used in the film...We were in Cornwall last year and I was able to visit St Buryan and took many photos there.

I was interested to read that you found the location of the infamous house that was used in the film.

I was wondering if you took any photos of the location at Tor Noon (I was unable to track down this location!) and if you could send some info as to how to find it.

I appreciate that the property may well be a private residence however I was wondering if its visible from the road..?

Hope to hear back from you

Best

Mike

Liked
    0 times
    Can't tell you the names of the St. Buryan streets, but if you visit the village yourself you will have no problem finding the sites. They are all next to each other right in the centre of the village. I went on holiday in August 2003 and it was so unchanged it loked like the film crew had only just left. The phone box where Del Henney is first seen is right outside the Post Office. Just a few yards to the left of here is the pub exterior. At the time I visited it just looked like an empty shop - with no signage boards unfortunately. I also went to see ' Trencher's Farm ' . A few things have changed here. The garage roof is completed. The greenhouse has gone and so have the weatherblown trees from which the swing is suspended from. This is probably the most atmotspheric film location I have visited. Your assumption that it is near Lamorna Cove is however way off the mark - you are right with the name however. The house ' Tor Noon ' stands about a mile south of Morvah ( 8 miles NW of Penzance ). The house can clearly be seen on the skyline when travelling on the B3306. A footpath from the road leads almost to the front door. The village of Morvah is what Dustin Hoffman looks at from the farm. Morvah parish church is passed in the car as Susan George and Dustin Hoffman drive up to Trencher's Farm for the first time.

Hope you find this useful.

Kevinfl.

Liked
    1 times
    thanks , documentary mantrap featuring locations is here YouTube - Mantrap Straw Dogs : The Final Cut

but has anyone got the " On Location: Dustin Hoffman" documentary made iirc at the same time as filming?

also certain parts of the film were filmed in lammore cove as far as i am aware

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

Thanks for that...A Brilliant Doco....why on earth was this not included on the DVD extras!!

Is there any chance of obtaining a copy of this doco on DVD...?....I have pleanty of material for trade

Thanks

Mike

Liked
    0 times
    Just a follow up....yes I have the Dustin Hoffman on location Doco made at the time....would be happy to swap for a DVD copy of the Mantrap doco..

Can you get back to me

Best

Mike

Liked
    4 times
    The Dustin Hoffman documentary is on my DVD which is the R1 Criterion edition.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your help on this

Mike

Liked
    1 times
    IMDB lists Wakeley as a location -surely this is a fictitious location of st ives?

Liked
    0 times
    I live in Cornwall and I'm thinking of making a short film using some of the locations in the original...its Lamorna not Lammore by the way...

Liked
    0 times
    The mantrap documentary is no longer on youtube...anyone know where it can be obtained/seen please??? I should explain some more...I am an artist with an exhibition in the gallery in Newlyn in January. I was thinking of interplicing contemporary views of St Buryan into the original film as part of an art project which might be good (or might not!!)

Liked
    0 times
    I remember 'Straw Dogs' being filmed because I was born and grew up in the neighbouring parish of St. Levan. I recall St. Buryan being closed to traffic for several days when they were filming. I didn't go and see them filming it because I was only 8 or 9 at the time.

In the local pub (St. Buryan Inn) there was for many years a picture of Hoffman playing the piano in there. Some of the older pub locals will also tell you tales of Peckinpah knocking back the shorts like there was no tomorrow. Bit of a gambler with the cards I have also heard.

The scene with the young kids does indeed feature the pupils of St. Buryan CP School. Some of those pupils I later went to Humphry Davy Grammar School with in Penzance.

Lamorna might be a fair distance from St. Buryan but it is still in the parish of St. Buryan.

Liked
    0 times
    I visited this weekend. 9th feb 2008

You can drive all the way up to Tor Noon - though the road looks like its in much worse repair than it was in the 70s (the stag and the builders van zoom off down the hill away from the house v quickly in the film - it wouldnt be possible now).

Apparently the house is a second home so its often empty. It was when I went. Its obvious pretty much all the interior scenes must ve been filmed in the studio as its way small inside

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jossiejojo
    I visited this weekend. 9th feb 2008

You can drive all the way up to Tor Noon - though the road looks like its in much worse repair than it was in the 70s (the stag and the builders van zoom off down the hill away from the house v quickly in the film - it wouldnt be possible now).

Apparently the house is a second home so its often empty. It was when I went. Its obvious pretty much all the interior scenes must ve been filmed in the studio as its way small inside
    Any chance of pinpointing it below? (if possible)- Morvah is marked

Liked
    0 times
    It's right at the bottom of the picture, above the letter 'r' in 'remains' in your signature.

It's marked on this map...

Streetmap.co.uk- search results

I assume this is the right place, I got it by following other people's directions in this thread.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPlowman
    It's right at the bottom of the picture, above the letter 'r' in 'remains' in your signature.

It's marked on this map...

Streetmap.co.uk- search results

I assume this is the right place, I got it by following other people's directions in this thread.
    Thanks , i've shown it on aerial map , its in bottom left hand corner just above the words microsoft.Nearest postcode is TR19 7TT -i assume Tor Noon would share this postcode.

Liked
    0 times
    I once found a Betamax copy of Straw Dogs in a plant pot outside the local City Hall as I was passing, strange but true.D

Liked
    0 times
    Trencher Farm, Tor Noon 2008

The Pub, St Buryan 2008

Enjoy!

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by connor25
    Trencher Farm, Tor Noon 2008
    Looks like it's had a makeover. It looked more 'lived in' when Kermode visited.

Liked
    0 times
    Could someone please tell me where the house (exterior) is located that was used in Straw Dogs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast