Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    this is a cracking film with a great cast..stanley baker dirk bogard,sid james etc etc what do you brit movie fans think??........................................... .....

............."that windrush is a complete shower"

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    hi fred i totally agree with you it is a cracking film with one of the all time great british stars stanley baker. regards bart

Liked
    0 times
    you and me both bart.....i have a video of this which is totaly worn out currently looking to buy it on dvd on e bay

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fred kite
    this is a cracking film with a great cast..stanley baker dirk bogard,sid james etc etc what do you brit movie fans think??
    Hello Fred,

Total agreement here. I always liked seeing Bogarde pitted against Baker in Campbell's Kingdom (1957) and again ten years later in Accident (1967).

All the best,

Barbara

Dirk_Bogarde_Brigade - a Yahoo group

Liked
    0 times
    yep barbara....accident is another of my favourites though im not a fan of micheal york........

........."at the hour refered to ,i was at a shop stewards meeting"

Liked
    0 times
    i know that most of the cast have past away .but is barbara murray still with us??

(you cccccccccccccclot, ................. you can say that again)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    this is a cracking film with a great cast..stanley baker dirk bogard,sid james etc etc what do you brit movie fans think??........................................... .....

............."that windrush is a complete shower"
    Absolutely agree Fred. I always bracket this film with another one Stanley Baker made around the same period, Hell Drivers. Two great favourites.

Liked
    0 times
    watched this for theumpteenthed time tonight on film 4....any one any info on the chap who played stanley bakers bully......the chap who tried to run dirk down andwas crying up in the cabin when he was caught by dirk ???????

Liked
    0 times
    watched this for theumpteenthed time tonight on film 4....any one any info on the chap who played stanley bakers bully......the chap who tried to run dirk down andwas crying up in the cabin when he was caught by dirk ???????
    George Murcell if I'm not mistaken (I'll now sit back and wait to be told I'm mistaken!!)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting to see this film pop up in conversation again. It has always been one of my favourites. Couple of reasons really - one is Stanley Baker, the second Hammond Innes, on whose novel it is based.

Strange that it has not been published widely on DVD. Similar situation with another good Stanley Baker film, Checkpoint, which has never appeared on DVD.

Also disappointing that other films from the novels of Hammond Innes have still not made it to DVD -

Snowbound (Robert Newton, Dennis Price, Herbert Lom)

The Wreck of Mary Deare (Charlton Heston, Gary Cooper, Richard Harris)

Hell Below Zero (Alan Ladd) - a ludicrous Hollywood title for the book called 'The White South.

I suppose Hammond Innes is out of fashion as an author these days but one would have thought that the stars of these films would have made DVD releases a worthwhile proposition.

Liked
    0 times
    hi all

does any one know this film it is on out . tv. tonight would it be worth watching

best mark.w.....

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark windley
    hi all

does any one know this film it is on out . tv. tonight would it be worth watching

best mark.w.....
    I like this film very much. Two top actors in Stanley Baker and Dirk Bogarde and good production values with fine location filming. I'd say give it a try.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It's full frame and doesn't look like it's been remastered. It's a good print (9/10) but if your TV print is good as well, I'd stick with that one.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    CAMPBELL's KINGDOM was released in 1957, and was shot in VistaVision (same as BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE). Locations were in Swiss Alps, standing in for Canada, and the film was probably shot back-to-back with CHECKPOINT, by the same crew

Unfortunately the EASTMAN COLOUR in CAMPBELL's KINGDOM is not preserved as accurately as it could be....

Liked
    0 times
    This is a very silly film... Dirk battling Stanley in a raging river? But I still watch it every time...

Senior Member Country: Scotland Biffer's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Did I hallucinate this, or was this the film where they chose the location because of the snow, but the snow didn't arrive that year, so they had to use fake snow, including thousands of pieces of papier mache (spelling?).

When they got round to filming the 'springtime' scenes - it snowed! - so they had to resort to spraying the snow green to match the shots.

The other story attached to this film concerns the Canadian ambassador and his wife, who were invited to the premier. Afterwards, the ambassador claimed to have recognized the area of 'Canada' where the film was shot. I don't think anyone had the heart to tell him ...

Biffer

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Here's the rare-ish British publicity material for the original 1957 movie, complete with all-different studio description

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Maybe Rank used to want to see how a film would do in the provinces first. ABC cinemas used to do the same and many a new film was shown here in Stoke-on-Trent as a First Provincial Screening long before the nationwide general release. For instance, The Moonraker was generally released in August, 1958, while I saw it here at the ABC Empire in June, 1958.

Also, the whole booking and distribution system was very different back in the 1950's. Today, it's a week at the local multiplex and then straight onto DVD, but in those days, to take Campbell's Kingdom as an example, Rank would probably order 100 prints struck, while there were still thousands of cinemas. So exhibition country wide would be staggered and some cities would get the film first and others would have to wait a few weeks for a copy to become available.

As well as that, there were three main circuits in those days, Rank, ABC and Essoldo. Below those would be the independants, who could run it after the others had finished with it. This is why I didn't get to see Campbell's Kingdom until February, 1958, when it played for a week at the independently run Broadway, near to where I lived. Another factor to take into consideration is that cinema going in those days was very parochial and most people wouldn't travel all the way to the city centre to see Campbell's Kingdom at the Odeon. They would simply see it advertised in the local press and then go to see it at their own local cinema when it was booked in there.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Anyone ever seen Stanely Baker in Dingaka, a South African film, I believe - I saw it at my local cinema in Ireland in 1970 so it must have been on the UK circuit as well but it's one of those films that seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth - it's never been on TV, VHS or DVD, as far as I know.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen View Post
    Anyone ever seen Stanely Baker in Dingaka, a South African film, I believe - I saw it at my local cinema in Ireland in 1970 so it must have been on the UK circuit as well but it's one of those films that seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth - it's never been on TV, VHS or DVD, as far as I know.
    Dingaka was released commercially on vhs. You can still get used copies at places like Amazon, a bit pricey but not that much considering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast