Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

Is there anyone who can help me identify this film. . .

Not much to go on but it keeps coming back to me even after all these years, I remember it been on tv one afternoon durning my childhood probably about 20-23 years ago (god that makes me feel old!).

What I can remember is an evil old white haired woman in an old fashioned style wheelchair and a fire in sweeping through the house, I think she may have been trying to get out and she was up the stairs/on a landing (possibly been assisted by a younger woman?).

I remember been quite disturbed by this film and for some reason it still give me the creeps thinking about it now.

I would love to know what it was called and possibly see it again, if anyone has it. . .

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    It has a ring of 'Great Expectations'. The old woman in the "old style wheelchair" would have been Miss Havisham and the girl would have been Estella. In the classic 1946 G.E. it is Pip who tries to save the old lady (who is not in a wheelchair) but there have been so many TV versions that perhaps you saw one of those.

Good luck anyway

Freddy

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    I remember it too, but cant think of the name and it wasn't great expectations.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that. . . at least I know now it's not something I have dreamed about! Hopefully someone will come up with some more suggestions, as it continues to haunt me.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    I think it's a TV show...an episode of Strange Report called Hand; A case of witchcraft; a wheelchair-bound curator of a museum of witchcraft is trapped in a fire as you describe; the young woman IIRC is actually her killer.

Features Renee Asherson, Keith Barron, Rosalind Atkinson as well as regulars Anthony Quayle, Charles Lloyd Pack, Anneke Wills.....

Liked
    4 times
    Gawd, it could be one of many. WITCHCRAFT? HOMICIDAL? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? In colour maybe even any of the sub-DIABOLIQUE horror thrillers made for US TV starring Barbara Stanwyck. Not that they were substandard of course, I loved 'em.

Liked
    6 times
    Burnt Offerings?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I found this thread after a forum search for Sue Lloyd, who I've just seen in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)!

Maybe we'll never know who was right. The original poster left a year later. Any other ideas, based on that description?

Images from the last suggestion:

Burnt Offerings

Senior Member Country: Romania chuffnobbler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Could it be the BBC's early-80s drama Maelstrom? Ann Todd is in a wheelchair, but not necessarily evil. There is a fire at the end. Scared me to death, aged 10, and is still scary now.

Liked
    0 times
    I thought it sounded a lot like JANE EYRE which terrified me as a youngster.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Mr Cosmo']I thought it sounded a lot like JANE EYRE which terrified me as a youngster.

If that's the 1963 BBC version, it terrified me too! I believe it still exists but I suppose it's unlikely ever to see the light of day again (a bit like Mr. Rochester!).

Liked
    0 times
    name='Gerald Lovell' date='04 June 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1275668990' post='435863']

If that's the 1963 BBC version, it terrified me too! I believe it still exists but I suppose it's unlikely ever to see the light of day again (a bit like Mr. Rochester!).

Jack Hawkins, Arlene dahl...Fortune Is A Woman ? JH is an insurance investigator. Certainly a great house fire as the climax, could be the one youre looking for ?

Liked
    5 times
    As i remember it , it was a film from the 40's or 50's and in Black and white and it certainly wasn't Burnt offerings or Jane Eyre.

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Could this be the original version of The Spiral Staircase from 1945? (Sorry, not used to new forum format yet so didn't manage to post a link)

Some of the details match, but as it's some years since I last saw it I can't remember if there's a fire at the end.

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    name='LocalHero' date='08 June 2010 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1275997328' post='437179']

Could this be the original version of The Spiral Staircase from 1945? (Sorry, not used to new forum format yet so didn't manage to post a link)

Some of the details match, but as it's some years since I last saw it I can't remember if there's a fire at the end.

Argh... Beat me to it...

I seem to remember that as the movie too.

Betty Davis, if I remember correctly???

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='jamesraykenney' date='10 June 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1276172890' post='438070']

Argh... Beat me to it...

I seem to remember that as the movie too.

Betty Davis, if I remember correctly???

Ethel Barrymore....

The Spiral Staicase (1945)

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Tra77' date='25 October 2006 - 04:53 AM' timestamp='1161766426' post='39652']

Hi all,

Is there anyone who can help me identify this film. . .

Not much to go on but it keeps coming back to me even after all these years, I remember it been on tv one afternoon durning my childhood probably about 20-23 years ago (god that makes me feel old!).

What I can remember is an evil old white haired woman in an old fashioned style wheelchair and a fire in sweeping through the house, I think she may have been trying to get out and she was up the stairs/on a landing (possibly been assisted by a younger woman?).

I remember been quite disturbed by this film and for some reason it still give me the creeps thinking about it now.

I would love to know what it was called and possibly see it again, if anyone has it. . .

It sounds similar to an old black and white horror movie I saw as a child called Monstrosity Release Date: December 1964 (USA)

There's an evil old lady in a wheelchair and also a fire ( a very creepy and depressing low budget horror film)

Cast

Marjorie Eaton ... Hetty March

Frank Gerstle ... Dr. Otto Frank

Frank Fowler ... Victor

Erika Peters ... Nina Rhodes

Judy Bamber ... Beatrice 'Bea' Mullins

Lisa Lang ... Anita Gonzalez

IMDB Link

Liked
    0 times
    Plot Summary for Monstrosity (1964) taken from the IMDB

Somehow, atomic power is harnessed to transplant brains. An old woman uses this power to hire two sexy (and one homely) foreign housekeepers with the idea of transplanting her old brain into a sexy woman's body

Mrs. March, sadistic, selfish, and rich, uses her aging gigolo boyfriend and renegade scientist Otto Frank, whose illegal experiments she is subsidizing in her Gothic mansion, in a plan to transplant her brain into the body of a young woman. Three foreign domestics: Mexican Anita, British Bea, and Austrian Nina, are hired. Frank's mysterious and unexplained use of radiation can inexplicably transplant brains without surgery. After he puts a cat's brain into Anita and she literally scratches out Bea's eye, Nina becomes the prospective receptacle for Mrs. March's aging but still active libido

Liked
    0 times
    [media]http://www.imdb.com/video/internet-archive/vi1445594137/[/media]

Here are a few photos of the movie and above is a link to watch the complete film on the web
    Attached Images

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Re: Monstrosity (aka The Atomic Brain)

I've just watched the film, on the Internet Archive, and think you could be right, robotoid. The old woman (played by Marjorie Eaton) can certainly be described as evil and IS seen in a wheelchair, though not for long. The fire at the end could be from any movie, but the original poster - whose long absence jeopardises your chances of being credited with Best Answer - does mention a woman being helped out of the house (a burning mansion) by another. If this is the same film, they were 50s pin-up Judy Bamber and Erika Peters, respectively.

In one scene, the latter has one of her eyes gouged out by their friend, who now has the brain of a cat! This follows a more successful transplant than the man who ends up with some of the features, as well as the brain, of a dog! Incidentally, Xerxes the cat, who by the end of the film swaps brains with the evil old woman, belonged to Judy in real-life. This was the best I could do in capturing the Scene-Stealing Animal:

The large-sized Play button dominates the screen when you press Pause, so I had to do this in real-time. I will still try to do a screencap of Marjorie Eaton, however. I don't think she'll make it to my 'Favourite Old Ladies & Gentlemen' thread after that sinister performance though!

More Trivia: Monstrosity was "filmed in ten days on location at a mansion on Adams Boulevard in the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles" (not from IMDb but Judy Bamber's Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen Page). Also, this actress was screen tested for Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. No reference is made to Kim Novak's dual role but her real character was called Judy Barton. I wonder if the screen test was for that second part, where Kim is her 'self'?

I won't say "Well done", robotoid, as we need confirmation, but it's a great guess. Thank you for introducing me to this entertaining film

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast