Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell is a City

Liked
    0 times
    This is a real long shot but i'm sure some of you know the film Hell is a city.

Anyway some of the locations are obvious but two intrigue me.

The site of the garage/ workshop which looks like it could be in an old church or chapel.

The smart suburban house belonging to Billie Whitelaw and Donald Pleasance - the street sign says Rusholme Grove i think but there is no such place (not even in the 50's)

Any ideas from older Mancunians?

Liked
    0 times
    In response to the questions on the film Hell Is City Locations. I am not sure of the garage location, but the house owned by the Donald Pleasence character is situated on Errwood Road, Levenshulme, Manchester 19. I have a website dedicated to Levenshulme in the 1950s & 1960s, and a section of the site covers the making of Hell Is A City. I watched the filming at this location,as a 10 year old,and have always had a fascination with this film since.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    That link doesn't work, even when you copy and paste.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I have looked at the website with the link above, its very good. I was wondering can anybody help with the following locations out of Manchester:

Taking the murdered girl out to the moors after the robbery and dumping her body.

Switching to the taxi in the old quarry.

The tossing match and subsequent police raid.

I had in mind, due to the physical geography and appearence, the district to the north and east of Oldham bounded by Shaw and Newhey to the north and Greenfield and Saddleworth to the east. Perhaps including the main A62 as it was then, also perhaps the Greenfield - Holmfirth road.

The 'A628 Doncaster Road' features in the story but in reality I am certain location filming did not take place anywhere near this road, but signs were erected by the film crew for effect in lots of unlikely locations.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who can shed more light on this, thank you.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glueman

The smart suburban house belonging to Billie Whitelaw and Donald Pleasance - the street sign says Rusholme Grove i think but there is no such place (not even in the 50's)

MultiMap does show a Rusholme Grove in Manchester

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map=51.5039902991333,-0.128328113398752|14|4&loc=GB:51.5039902991333:-0.128328113398752:14#t=l&map=53.45291,-2.21897|17|4&loc=GB:53.45291:-2.21897:17|rusholme%20grove|Rusholme%20Grove,%20MA NCHESTER%20(RUSHOLME),%20M14

Liked
    0 times
    The road where the body is dumped and the quarry are on marsden moor.we found them but it took the best part of a day ! the road is either the A640 running over deanhead or the B6114 that leaves the A640.look for deanhead resavoir and you wont be far off.good luck

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Vanburen, thank you for that information, I shall get out there and take a look when I have some time free.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I can verify that part of hell is a city was filmed on Marsden moors,I went up to see them filming but they had finished when I arrived.I brought back a plastic plate as a souvenir hoping that Stanley Baker had used it.

yorkist

Liked
    0 times
    it wont have been stanleys,he's no litter bug.......

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nixon
    In response to the questions on the film Hell Is City Locations. I am not sure of the garage location, but the house owned by the Donald Pleasence character is situated on Errwood Road, Levenshulme, Manchester 19. I have a website dedicated to Levenshulme in the 1950s & 1960s, and a section of the site covers the making of Hell Is A City. I watched the filming at this location,as a 10 year old,and have always had a fascination with this film since.
    Thats fantastic Mr NIXON,some great photos on your site from the making of the film,nice for sharing them

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glueman
    This is a real long shot but i'm sure some of you know the film Hell is a city.

Anyway some of the locations are obvious but two intrigue me.

The site of the garage/ workshop which looks like it could be in an old church or chapel.

I don't think I have seen this film but will now make every effort to find it,with regard to rusholme grove it does exist and I know it well, it is in a once smart area of manchester now more famous for it's nickname "THE CURRY MILE" it is only a small grove but runs parallel with dickenson rd and is a stones throw from the former home of manchester city ,Maine rd .

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Bell Bottom George's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I know this has been asked before, but perhaps some newer members might know ; where is the village/edge of a town where the coin tossing on the slag heaps took place ? There are two mills in the background (now probably demolished though).

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Whats the name of the pub featured prominently in much of the film and is it still there?

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The converted church used as the taxi garage in the film was actually on Stockport Road (A6), Longsight, near the junction of Plymouth Grove. It was at one time a garage in real life, as well as other uses later. This was just a stone's throw from another disused church that was used by Mancunian Films and later the BBC for Top of the Pops.

To see the 'Hell Is A City' church as it was in 1958 go to the website: Manchester City Council in the Central Library's images collection, enter m39527 in the 'FIND' window and press search. This is an image of the church as a garage in 1958, so it was easily adapted for the film. Keep double clicking the image to zoom.

The main bar used was (if I remember correctly) Liston's Bar in Cromford Court (which is where the robbery took place). All that area was eventually swallowed up by Manchester's Arndale Shopping Centre. The fat bearded guy in the jumper who has a couple of lines at the pitch 'n' put game was a popular local wrestler called Bill(?) Benny. He is not in the credits. It is believed that well known Manchester bookie Gus Demmy inspired the first name for Donald Pleasance's character. I have given more details elsewhere on Britmovie about this film. Do a search!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The converted church was there in 1997, being used as a carpet warehouse - I used to live just round the corner. But at some point it burned down. There is now nothing on the site.

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

Liked
    1 times
    Hell Is A City

check out the above web site about Hell is a City, most informative

Liked
    0 times
    Interesting site. Based on the single screenshot of the interior of the Lacy Arms, I believe it to be the Star & Garter. The stairs look exactly the same.

Liked
    0 times
    Well, I've finally got this on DVD, and I must say what a great film it is - despite some wayward 'northern' accents! Martineau's wife sounds like she's spent a lot of time in Jamaica!

Anyway, on top of the locations mentioned on George Nixon's webpage, I've managed to find a few more, and also, I've taken a few 'Now' photos. See them here...

Hell Is A City (1960) at UK Onscreen - UK Movie Filming Locations

Sorry some of the 'now' photos are a bit naff, but so much has changed in some of the shots. For the prison photo I had to stand on the opposite side of the road, otherwise it would have just been a photo of a brick wall!

I'm really fired up for finding as many locations as I can now! Expect further posts.... :)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice work Paul

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times

What a brilliant site and a great idea, then and now shots. I'll have to have a watch of the film see if any places spring to mind.

Thanks for posting the link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast